Privi 5.56 Ammo - generally good ammo?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by rdbjr57, Jan 9, 2013.

1. The title says pretty much what I'm asking... is Privi 5.56 generally known as a good ammo? I can get a case at what I think is a pretty good price but I don't know anything about this brand.

I'd be shooting it through a Ruger Mini-14 (183 series.)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

3. It's good stuff. Essentially it's 193.

#2 boomhower, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  4. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

Its what I keep in my SHTF mags. Really good stuff, mine came in clear water proof battle packs.
  5. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

happy to buy it if you don't want to...
  6. Whittaker's in Owensboro. They update their Facebook page several times a day (In case you want to "like" them on FB.) They have been very good (fair) to customers on selling the "highly-sought-after" items they are selling (AR's, etc.)

They also post when certain ammo comes in on their trucks, etc.
  7. This will obviously show my ignorance, but what is "193"?
  8. Tvov

We use Privi 8mm Mauser and 30-30, and are very happy and impressed with it. I would have no problem using other Privi calibers.
  9. M193 is the NATO spec 55gr 5.56 round. It must have a sealed bullet and primer and an annealed case. It is also supposed to meet velocity and accuracy specs.

M193 sold to civies is generally called XM193 or M193-spec ammo, depending on the manufacturer.
  10. I bought a case of it this summer and have shot 400 rounds of that, not a single malfunction and it seems to be clean shooting.
  11. Thanks for the info folks! I was going to split a case with a buddy, but I think now that I'll get a whole case for myself!
  12. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!!
    Platinum Member Gold Member

I've used it in 9mm and .38 flavors without problem. It even seems a bit hotter than other ammos. I wouldn't hesitate to use it or buy it (again).
  13. Good Stuff, I've used their 7.5 Swiss and .303 British. Accurate and clean shooting. Good stuff. I recently ordered some 5.56 from Cabela's when it was on sale and I got free shipping to boot. I haven't shot it yet.
  14. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

So where do you shoot in the wintertime? I live in Hartford, VT.
  15. I live in Michigan now but both times I've had a chance to shoot the AR were on private property here and back in NH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. I have shot about 500ish rounds through my ar and no issues thus far. Fairly accurate, cycles well, and decent brass for reloading. My recommendation: buy two cases lol
  17. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

Also, I was getting 2 MOA 3 shot groups at 100 yards with a 3.5 ACOG. Im sure I could do better with more magnification, but for a military style FMJ round it is very accurate.
  18. "Prvi Partizan" means "First Partisan". I've got a decent stash of it in 7.5 French. Clean-burning, very accurate.
  19. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

M193 is GOOD stuff.
  20. Haldor

Haldor Retired EE

M193. This is standard Nato 55 grain loading. Pretty hot load that works well in all kinds of 5.56 rifles (1:12, 1:9, 1:7 twist barrels). 62 grain loadings require faster bullet twist (1:9 or tighter) to stabilize properly. If you shoot 62 grain bullet in a old AR15's you won't get good long range accuracy.

I stock M193 ammo exclusively in my lair.

Read more if you are really interested.
    #19 Haldor, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  21. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

M193 is a US military 5.56 cartridge. It is not the 5.56 cartridge adopted by NATO in 1980, which has a heavier bullet with a steel tipped core. The Prvi ammunition is usually good quality. It does not get the level of inspection and testing that US military or NATO ammunition gets though.