Glock Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Private Property With No Gun Signs - What you do

20K views 231 replies 63 participants last post by  RussP 
#1 ·
This is mostly for those of us in states where these signs carry no force of law, but what do you do at private property that has a no guns allowed sign.

Personally, I have not encountered this, but my thought is to just go in with my concealed firearm anyway. The property owner can always ask me to leave, and I would if they asked. Curious who else does/would do this if its legal to in your state as it in in WA.

Do you leave your firearm in the car and go in?

Do you go somewhere else? If so do you write the business owner telling them you won;t shop there because of that?

#10 ·
I'd treat such a sign the same way I'd treat a "No Colored Allowed" sign (if such things as anti-discrimination laws did not exist.) Ignore it if they had something I needed or wanted and it was inconvenient to go someplace else and next time go someplace else with my money and spend it where it was appreciated the next opportunity.

Can you imagine the _____storm that would erupt if someone put up a "No Democrats or Liberals" sign on their store's door?

#11 ·
I'd treat such a sign the same way I'd treat a "No Colored Allowed" sign (if such things as anti-discrimination laws did not exist.) Ignore it if they had something I needed or wanted and it was inconvenient to go someplace else and next time go someplace else with my money and spend it where it was appreciated the next opportunity.

Can you imagine the _____storm that would erupt if someone put up a "No Democrats or Liberals" sign on their store's door?

Hmmmmm. Since the MSM and Federal Government say that civilian gun owners are a small MINORITY of the population; does that mean that as gun owners, we can get protections under anti-discrimination laws? Could gun ownership be a civil liberty? Hmmmmmm

#12 · (Edited)
A belief that their wants and desires are fundamentally more important than those of others. A belief that only their rights and property are sovereiqn, coupled with a lack of concern for the rights and property of others. Inability to differentiate between can and should. Are we talking about permit holders or career criminals? I wonder, does a lowlife who claims their theft or trespass was because they'd surely starve but for access to your possessions or property have any more of a valid point than a ccw'er who pretends that the threat of death is so imminent that they would surely perish should they not retain their pistol while visiting a posted home or business.

#16 ·
If we are discussing a private residence then I will always give them the same consideration I would expect if they were to come to my house.

Letting the owner of the private residence is a good relationship exercise. I have not been asked to leave but I would respect the owners wishes and lock it up in the car if asked.

In Texas there are really only 2 signs we have to abide by: 30.06 and 51%. No other signs mean anything to us.

#18 · (Edited)
Hmmmmm. Since the MSM and Federal Government say that civilian gun owners are a small MINORITY of the population; does that mean that as gun owners, we can get protections under anti-discrimination laws? Could gun ownership be a civil liberty? Hmmmmmm
Uh... it already is and has been recognized as such for over two centuries.

#19 · (Edited)
OP are you talking of Commercial store or Private homes? If your talking private home and the owner has a no guns sign - I'd have no buisness to ever go into or on that property! Even if it was family or a friends home! Commercial property open to anyone and as you said sign has ZERO legal meaning while carring if I absolutely needed to spend my money there I would just go in an would give two craps about there sign! But on the other hand if I could spend my money somewhere else thats what I'd do!:supergrin:

#20 ·
Uh... it already is and has been recognized as such for over two centuries.
What I was getting at, is could gun owners be considered a "minority group"? With all the protections and rights afforded other "minority groups"? Could someone who discriminates against gun owners actually be guilty of a hate crime under Federal law?

#22 ·
For a private property owner such as an individual, I'd respect their wish and not carry on their property; subsequently, when I place my firearm in my vehicle; my vehicle would leave the premises and I would be with it. They have the right to make a request, I have a right to make determination; abide or not to...most generally not to stay.

:wavey:

red

#24 · (Edited)
OP are you talking of Commercial store or Private homes? If your talking private home and the owner has a no guns sign - I'd have no buisness to ever go into or on that property! Even if it was family or a friends home! Commercial property open to anyone and as you said sign has ZERO legal meaning while carring if I absolutely needed to spend my money there I would just go in an would give two craps about there sign! But on the other hand if I could spend my money somewhere else thats what I'd do!:supergrin:
I've never seen a residence with a no gun sign...unless you count the one on this video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pGt_O1uM8"]Gun Free Zones - 1/2 Hour News Hour - YouTube[/ame]

On a serious note, I was referring to businesses. Personally I'm not going to change where I go just because of a sign that means nothing anyway. And I most certainly will still carry, my safety is more important than some corporate policy.

I would...if I had a business. Knowing its just as enforceable as a no guns sign, I can ask them to leave.

He already asked you not to come in. now you think its OK unless he asks you to leave.
Do you understand RESPECT?
Depends on whether I'm in the mood to conduct myself as an adult who can read, or as a societal reject who chooses to ignore, or pretends to be ignorant of, the basic rules of gentlemanly conduct.
Nobody said anything. It's just a sign, most likely up due to some corporate policy. If local management has a problem they are free to say something, but they won't, because its concealed. They don't see it, they don't hear it. But if there is a robbery that goes bad, my bet is the manager would be glad I ignored the sign after I save his life. Am I going to give corporate america the same consideration I'd give to an individual? What have they done to earn such respect? Nothing in my book.

#26 ·
Maybe the owner couldn't afford gun signs. Of course, if he had no gun signs and couldn't afford to buy any, maybe he could draw some gun signs. Good Samaritan that I am, I might draw some gun signs for him and leave them behind. Since he didn't have any, he'd probably appreciate them.

Yeah...anyway - there's a legal concept that if something is not prohibited by law, it is not illegal. In some states, private property owners where concealed carry is not statutorily prohibited can post that guns are not 'allowed' on their property, but the response for this is often very minimal - for instance, the property owner may ask the offending individual to leave the property, and if the offending individual refuses to leave, the property owner may lawfully treat him as a trespasser.

I would likely disregard the signs if I saw them. I probably would not give my business to a property that did not allow guns in the first place, though. If I am lawfully allowed to do something that is reasonable and a good idea for my community, I'll probably do it. I would discern between a home and business, though - I would not do something against a person's lawful, known wishes in his home. A business is different - community resources support businesses in different ways than they do individuals - tax breaks, roads, insurance, fire and police, zoning, etc., etc., etc., businesses get great benefits from society and therefore there are different standards. The USSC has upheld the strongest threshold at a person's residence - higher than any other place - and it should be afforded this special treatment. To put a business on the exact same field as a home is a mistake. Very nearly equivalent, in many ways, different but similar, okay - but a home should always maintain a clear and exclusive threshold as a place where a person can count on the highest degree of privacy and reasonable treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.