close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Primer turning tray.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by sheltbt, Nov 7, 2011.

1. sheltbt

sheltbt

Sep 20, 2011
    North Alabama
    Anybody have any experience with one of these? Thanks in advance.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    If you have a press that isn't a Lee, you'll want one. Absolutely need one? No, but as cheap as they are, and the time they save you, you'd be crazy not to have one.

Key thing, is get an "oversized" one. Otherwise, the corners of the primer tray will hang off the side, and you'll lose a couple of primers every time.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/466211/rcbs-primer-turning-tray

3. I use one and I think having it saves some time. You dont really need it but they are cheap and they do make things a little easier.

4. Lou Garou

Lou Garou In my den

Oct 25, 2011
    I use a square one like RCBS makes. I just put it over a tray of primers and flip all of them at once so they're ready to pick up with the tubes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  5. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Mar 1, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    I've been using my RCBS for over 20 years.

6. MrMunster

MrMunster

Nov 4, 2001
    Spend the extra money and get one of these. Just remember to throw away the tube adaptors that come with it. Mine works best when the tubes are against the hole in the tray. Takes about 15 seconds to load 100 primers into the tube.

7. Lou Garou

Lou Garou In my den

Oct 25, 2011
    That's a great concept, and when it works it's great. Too bad FA made it out of plastic.

8. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Great except they don’t make them anymore.

9. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

Jan 8, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
  10. daltona117

daltona117 Molon Labe

Jul 7, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    Dillon Precision makes a nice Primer Flip tray and its made of metal.

11. scattershot

scattershot

Nov 15, 2010
    Denver, CO
    I have a metal flip tray, and wouldn't be caught dead without it. One of the great labor saving devices of all time.

12. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

Aug 11, 2010
    San Diego
    I have a metal one... The Gold Dillon one.. But now I am afraid to use anything that has to do with priming and Dillon and metal and static electricity.. I should have just stayed in my own little quiet world... Damn World Wide Web..

13. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    You have a better chance of winning the Lottery than a primer going off and causing any damage. I guess you better stay home today and the next because you might have a car wreck on the way to work. Or you might fall in the shower all are more dangers than reloading. If you follow standard safety precautions.

14. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    I have a question concerning primers that I had to 'take out' becuase they seated wrong for whatever reason.

What the heck do you do with them?

I mean I just don't want to throw them out.

So, how do you folks get rid of them?
    Thanks,
    Greg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  15. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    oh and also 'used primers'.

What do you do with them?

Can't recycle them, can u?

Do you just throw them out?
    Thanks Again,
    Greg

16. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    I just run them through the single stage press with a universal decapping die slowly. I just throw them away. Also the spent primers. Don’t know if the junk yard will take them or not. But the last time I went to the junk yard it cost me more to replace the tire than what I got for what I took over. Spraying the primes with WD40 does nothing. Takes about 3 days to kill the primer and once they dry out you have a live primer again.

17. Lou Garou

Lou Garou In my den

Oct 25, 2011
    They're brass, so I keep them with the eventual plan of selling them to the scrap man. So far I have 1 3/4 gallon milk jugs full.

I've heard of some guys loading them into shotgun shells. :upeyes:

ETA: I agree with Bob. Just slowly deprime the live primers (wear eye protection) and either reuse them in practice rounds or toss them. I don't put live primers in the recycle bin because I'm afraid they might pop and splash someone while being smelted, but I've heard from smelters who say it's not a problem.

18. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    I just throw USED ones in the trash.

In 40,000+ rounds, can only recall one or two *new* ones getting ruined (going in sideways and getting crushed or something. Those went in the trash also.

I've had several go in upside down, I just *carefully* push them out and re-use them in PRACTICE rounds. Or I've also had a bullet fall over when going into the seating die and damage the brass. I also extract and re-use those primers. I'm a cheap SOB when it comes to my primers.

19. MrMunster

MrMunster

Nov 4, 2001
    One more reason you should have started reloading sooner. :wavey:

Used ones are available.