close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Primer labeled as for Standard and Magnum (WTF!)

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Gpruitt54, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Gpruitt54

Gpruitt54

Jul 18, 2012
    I have been hand loading for about a year and I love it. I am still very much one to follow the load data sheets. Recently I bought some Large pistol primers that were labeled as for both Standard and Magnum loads. This is the first time I have seen such labeling. The Cabela's sales person confirmed that these are in fact OK for standard loads.

My loads are square in the middle of the load high and low limits. However, none of my load data give details on using magnum primers for my standard loads. I have seen many conversations on this forum warning against using Magnum primers with standard loads. I am loading .45 ACP.

Are the primers I bought legit for standard loads? How can the primers be both standard and Magnum primers at the same time? They are either/or right? I am confused and feeling a little silly for allowing myself to be talked into buying these things. The primers are Winchester Large Pistol Primers.

2. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    They're fine for standard loads in 45 ACP.

I use WLP primers for 45 ACP and my loads are also in the mid range of the load data.

Those are outstanding primers for mid range 45 ACP loads.
    Use them with confidence.

I also use them in 44 magnum and 45 Colt loads with no problem.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

3. Oldgoat03

Oldgoat03

Feb 2, 2012
    Northwest Wa
    I too use Winchester Large Pistol Primers (Std and magnum) for .45 ACP. No issues with any load up to published max.

4. ess45

ess45

Nov 17, 2006
    Wichester large pistol primers are labeled as such ever since I can remember.

5. snowG29

snowG29

Mar 7, 2012
    I use these in 44, 45 ap and in 10 mm. Good to that versatility. Loading data will designate when a mag primer is required.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

6. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Winchester switched over years ago to this middle of the road primer. generally, switching to a mag primer is only going to be an issue if your load was worked up using a std & the load was already max. Loading at the top end, everything affects the last 3-4Kpsi & the load should be reworked if changing anything.

7. Gpruitt54

Gpruitt54

Jul 18, 2012
    Thanks, appreciate the detailed information always available here to help a guy out.

8. AngelDeville

AngelDeville NoHablaMexican

Feb 3, 2008
    ABQ
    I have used Winchester primers for years, makes the supply caninet a lot less crowded...

9. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    I bet I have loaded well over 50K of 40 and 9 mm loads with magnum primers. Generally you can buy them cheaper than standard primers and work just fine. Don't use them in bunny farts and rework any load close to max.

10. I almost hate to buy Federal primers for the big ass box they come in. Nowhere to put the damn things!

11. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Nothing fuels contempt in the reloader heart as much as big ass boxes of primers stacked sideways. It really makes me nuts.

As far as the Winchester primers, they run a little hotter than most standard primers, probably a little short of most magnum primers. Doesn't change the method.... you change a component, you back off some and work your way up looking for pressure signs.

[​IMG]

12. Wil Terry

Wil Terry

Nov 28, 2001
    YEP ! Ever since they found that their 7M-111F large pistol magnum primers worked perfectly well with all cartridges requirering the large pistol primer. NO use having two primers to do the same thing, although there are still some who do so you guys who will NOT read gun history can think you got that something special. AND pay more to boot

13. dla

dla

Oct 19, 2002
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Great primers. You'll a little higher ES with them in 45acp, but no matter. My Chrony says they are equivalent to CCI350 when it comes to lighting ball powders in 44mag. They do have a softer cup.