close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Primer KB on 1050

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by EL_NinO619, Mar 5, 2014.

1. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619
    Expand Collapse
    EX-Swage Monkey

Monday night I was loading with a friend from my shop. We had all my machines going, I was loading 10mm on the LnL, my bro was prepping 7.62 on the other LnL and my buddy was loading .45 large primer on the 1050. Before the session started I told him to inspect every case before putting it into the casefeeder hopper. I explain to him that on a 1050 with priming on the down stroke you can get a nice little surprise (so I heard). Well he was on 952 or 956 (still haven't taken a hard count yet) and he looked over and said "something is binding it up." I looked directly at him and said "Don't force it, I'll be right there after I cycle this press."

BOOM!!!!

Holy crap we all scattered like we where taking live fire, except for my buddy still clutching the 1050 handle with the eyes of a deer in the headlights, I think he had shell shock. Smoke was everywhere along with the smell of sulfur. Neighbors came out to see what happened. After the smoke cleared I went to see what caused it, low and behold a Blazer small pistol primer case. Dayum!! those things. My count was 5-8 primers, some where really deformed. The primer guide rod with the .45 on top was lodged in the drywall lid. Plastic was everywhere. The top part of the primer rod completely blew off! 1050 was blacked all around ground zero. You can see the rest of the damage in the picture. Needless to say we all had to change our huggies, we all where a little shaken up and decided that was enough for the night.

Called Dillon in the AM and of course they are sending out everything, including the primer alarm which took a hit but still functioned. It was inevitable of course, especially with how much I load, but I will take even further action to negate it in the future. Crap was no joke.

I believe part of it was he was not to familiar with 1050, I can feel the SPP in the swage station. And a praise Dillon's safety design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619
    Expand Collapse
    EX-Swage Monkey

3. eaglefrq

eaglefrq
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

:wow:

Glad no one was hurt! Sounds like Dillon is going to take care of you though.

4. ChrisJn

ChrisJn
    Expand Collapse
    "Old Bill"

Glad it was the Dillon and not the LNL or you would have started another Blue v Red war!

5. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

Great write-up and photos. Thanks for the story.

Glad to hear that Dillon will get you up and running again.

Wear your safety glasses folks!

6. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

That didn't take long.

7. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619
    Expand Collapse
    EX-Swage Monkey

Thanks. I force everyone to wear eyepro. Dillon shipped out parts on Tuesday afternoon. Except the primer alarm which was backordered. Sent a new shield and told me to toss the other one, even though nothing was wrong with it. They figure one and done due to structural integrity, though he did say it took 10 KB during testing and held.

8. ChrisJn

ChrisJn
    Expand Collapse
    "Old Bill"

I'd say that's "no BS" warranty like it should be. Wish all companies were the same.

9. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean
    Expand Collapse

Glad that you guys are OK. Those dang SPP .45ACP cases...aaaaargh!!!!

10. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

The 1050 doesn't come with a "no BS" warranty. It is considered a commercial machine so the warranty is a little more limited. Nevertheless, I have found Dillon to be extremely flexible.

The operator needs to pay attention to the swaging station because that is the only way to detect one of the SPP cases before it gets to the primer station. I try very hard not to pick up SPP .45 brass but sometimes things happen.

Now that I load .45 on the 650, I can just pull the case at station 2 and dump it in the trash. If the primer doesn't seat, I just scrap the case and move on.

Richard

11. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Things are tough all over.

[​IMG]

12. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619
    Expand Collapse
    EX-Swage Monkey

I love it.

That's a nifty design Jmorris, it may prove to be even more nifty with the EPA at the helm. I have always felt them in the swaging station, just my buddy got unlucky I guess. I made him pull about 10 hours on the LnL before he went to the 1050. He usually only loads 5.56 on the 1050. I guess he didn't feel it, or hear me stay don't force it right before it went BOOM! Lesson learned, just glad we all went home safe with just skid marks and ringing ears. :faint:

13. AZson

AZson
    Expand Collapse

That wouldn't have happened in my LEE.:tongueout:
    :tease:

14. Texasteel

Texasteel
    Expand Collapse

thanks for the reminder to be careful with those 45s

15. Jim Watson

Jim Watson
    Expand Collapse

He must have put some wrist snap into the stroke.
    I popped a primer and crushed another on my S1050 but no Bang of a gang fire.
    I now 100% inspect pickup brass, even what I THINK is my own. Sure slows down the progressiveness of a progressive loader. Instead of bullet feeders, I think a primer size detector would be of more use. I think somebody has built one DIY.

16. jmorris

jmorris
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I posted a link to the video of mine in #12?

#17 jmorris, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  17. trlcavscout

trlcavscout
    Expand Collapse

I just trashed a box of LPP 45, it pisses me off when my SPP doesn't seat in a LPP brass.

18. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

I love the blow by blow description Justin... LOL, make me feel like I was there. Glad everyone was unscathed.

My question is how did a chain reaction start in the primer magazine, when the slide was out trying to feed a LPP into a a small primer .45 case at the shellplate? By design shouldn't the rest of the primers in the tube been insulated?

19. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619
    Expand Collapse
    EX-Swage Monkey

I wanted everyone to understand the experience. Dillon said it was normal for a "flash over" to happen. I asked the same question. I guess if enough flash makes it there, or primer residue is present etc. Glad it happened at the end of the tube. I still can't believe how loud it was.