close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Primer Dimples- Inconsistent Locations - picture

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Mootness, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Mootness

Mootness

Jun 16, 2011
    Details: Stock glock model 29. Using reloads that pass the 'drop in the barrel test' and sit properly.

At the range I had one failure to fire. It was my first failure to fire after so many thousands of reloads. (I would guess I'm somewhere in the 7-10k area.) Popped the ftf round out, and the primer dimple looked like a light strike. Thinking that's suspicious I tried to fire the round again, it went off. That's pictured #3 with two dimples.

Also pictured, numbers 2 & 4 have the primer strikes way off center.

Number one is a sample of the other 40 empties where the primer is hitting well centered.

What's causing this primer strike issue? Is it connected to the failure to fire?

Attached Files:

2. JR

JR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Oldtown Idaho USA
    The strikes off center are a failure to go into battery. Your case is swelled or the OAL is prohibiting full battery.
    A light primer strike can be caused by a dirty FP channel, high primer, hard primer, failure to go into battery or many, many others.

3. Mootness

Mootness

Jun 16, 2011
    The case should not be swelled because of the Lee Factory Crimp die. The OAL seems like the guilty party.

Light primer strike: I broke down the slide, the firing pin channel looks clean, nothing suspicious, dirty, metal shavings etc. The primers are seated on a lee turret press, every primer is consistently seated the same way so they wouldn't be high. I am using CCI primers, they are known to be harder.

Here's another picture in case it helps of the last 8 rounds from the problematic batch of reloads. Next up I'll shorten the OAL and see if that makes a difference. Of the 8 remaining/now fired, some measured as long as 1.279". [Nevermind, no new photo because there is a space limit. If I remove old photos that's not going to help others.]