close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Prices??

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by apehngrs, Jun 2, 2011.

1. apehngrs

apehngrs

Oct 12, 2003
    MN
    Having thought about it for a while, I started shopping around for an AR.

I think I've (maybe) settled on an Smith & Wesson M&P15T.

In the somewhat limited looking I've done, the lowest Price on one I've seen was $1,499, but in looking through the posts on here, I find one thread where a few guys say they're finding M&P's in the $700 range.

Are the ones in my neck of the woods (southern MN) that outragous, or am I missing something???

Thanks!

2. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

Sep 2, 1999
    ME

3. Feanor

Feanor

Feb 28, 2010
    Best advice I have for you is this, if I was gonna drop $1500.00 on an AR, I wouldn't be doing it for an M&P. Buds is selling Colt's 6940 carbines for less then that, in my world Colt's is king of the hill.

4. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    BCM is the best value going and is one of the more sought after ARs.

You can also get into a nice Daniel Defense in that price range.

5. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
    apehngrs
    What do you want to do with it and how much do you want to spend?

6. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    $1500 for an M&PT is crazy. For the edition that came with the troy rail and troy sights $1200 was a pretty decent deal. For $1500 you pretty much have your pick of the litter from DD, BCM, to Colt. Don't pay top end prices for a middle tier gun.

7. Randy from Kansas

Randy from Kansas

Mar 3, 2009
    kansas
    I say get a middle tier gun and lots of ammo, and if you can some training would make the most sense for your dollars.

8. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen Gunfighter

Feb 18, 2011
    Leesburg, GA
    Spending 1500 on a smith&wesson would not be a wise decision. Spend $1000 on a BCM, DD, or Colt and spend the rest on ammo/mags or a quality optic.

9. apehngrs

apehngrs

Oct 12, 2003
    MN
    Thanks A TON for the replies so far!

I get (now) that there is kind of an unofficial (?) tiered market of AR's. While I don't necessarily need the most expensive setup out there, I obviously want something that will be reliable, and secondly, lend itself to how I want it outfitted. We just sold my wife's Sportster, so I'm in the fortunate position of having some money to get what I want.

I like the folding sights on the M&P15T, don't want a carry-handle, want the ability to mount different optics and a light (operated by a pressure switch w/non-shooting hand), and a sling, of course. Quality & reliability, though, are first & foremost.

Given that criteria, I'd really like to hear what anybody has to suggest on what I should look for.

Kevin

10. Rainierarms.com has the Noveske 16" basic for $1450. LMT SPM's can be had for $1200, Colts, BCM's DD's etc. I would agree buy a $1k rifle like BCM then mags, ammo, optics.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011