President Aquino on gun control

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by CatsMeow, Jan 9, 2013.

1. I know the link has been posted in another thread, but here's part of his observations on the "total gun ban" controversy:

MANILA, Philippines - President Aquino rejected yesterday a total gun ban, saying private citizens would be put at risk if they are unable to defend themselves against criminals.

“I think a lot of us will agree with the basic premise that the outlaw will be one of the first groups that will say thank you for disarming law-abiding citizens because it will be much easier to victimize them,” he said.

“It sounds nice – total gun ban, but the total does not happen because the outlaw will not follow.”

Aquino, a known marksman with 26 registered firearms, said he was himself a victim of gun-related violence when military rebels nearly killed him in August 1987, when his mother Corazon Aquino was president.

“I think you will acknowledge that I was a victim of violence in this aspect in 1987 and both the Church and the law recognize my right to self defense,” he said.

“Self-defense is a skill and it’s a skill that has to be practiced. By definition, all of those who commit such crimes are called outlaws. So a law that seeks to reform the outlaws will not work, so you need a law that will sanction them further and prove as a deterrence.”

<end quote>

A ray of sunshine in the gloom caused by all these shootings...

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

3. jprj

It turned out almost everyone is shooting. We have Leon Guerero, Alyas Pogi, Barako ng Maynila and much more....Even the media are wishing for the gun ownership and ptc. :)

4. jprj

And thanks to the president for making a stand on this :)
  5. Punisher_nbi45

Punisher_nbi45 R we der yet?

I'm all for the President speaking out and i applaud him for saying he doesn't think a total gun ban will work---

until he finds competent, impartial, and objective people to run the FED and, among others, that perpetrators of violent crimes using firearms are punished to the full extent of the law, then I don't see the situation changing anytime soon.

From what I heard, the guy who promulgated the new FED policies regarding licensing and PTCs is also a shooter, but then again, it's hard to think straight when you have your own head so far up your butt that you only think about taking advantage of others, not helping them out.

At least, that's what I heard from the grapevine.....:rofl:
  6. horge

horge -=-=-=-=-
    Lifetime Member

It's about time he did. However...
    Bully-pulpit platitudes aside, stating that so-and-so law
    is needed MUST be followed up with real action.

-Start supporting laws that recognize our right to arm
    ourselves. You're de facto head of your party, which
    has been obstructing said laws,

-Stop tacitly supporting proposed new laws that DENY
    our right to arm ourselves, in particular new laws being
    pushed by prominent members of your own party, of
    which you are de facto head.
    #5 horge, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  7. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

In other words, put your money where your mouth is.

Still, PNoys words were as soothing as a mothers voice to adiks sa pulbura like me.