close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Preps that never go bad

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by RMTactical, Mar 8, 2012.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    Assuming proper storage and no need for power, what are some preps that essentially never go bad?

Firearms and Toilet Paper are the only things I can think of off the top of my head. I am sure there are plenty of others. What else?

2. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

Apr 10, 2007
    Here
    Water has been sitting around for 4.5 billion years. Just clean it up and have a sip.

3. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Mar 19, 2010
    Ozarks
    Many tools would last forever if you didn't let them rust down. Glass jars if you don't break them, a pet rock :supergrin:

4. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Knowledge, honey, grains, salt, soy sauce, faith, ammunition, hand tools (from hammers to skinning knives), probably a bunch of others as well....?

Some things like grains, salt & metal implements take proper storage methods, but assuming that, then useable life-expectancy is "centuries".

5. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    Honey and salt are top contenders. Water, as long as you have the ability to boil it. Of course most tools as long as they are properly stored. I disagree on knowledge. Most knowledge must be practiced or refreshed from time to time.

6. BMH

BMH Lifetime Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Alaska
    I think that SPAM is supposed to have an indefinite shelf life. But I'm not going to try it.

7. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    :thumbsup: That's why I went with the word 'knowledge' instead of saying my initial reflex response, which was 'training'. Training seriously degrades with neglect, moreso than just 'head knowledge'. But I wouldn't disagree with your statement though - training or knowledge either one usually needs exercise to one extent or another.

8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Twinkies and McDonald's french fries.

9. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    Oh you are just too clever :yawn:

10. Akita

Akita gone

Jul 22, 2002
    TP goes musty in approx 18 months where I live. Probably moldy with enough time.

Sugar, salt, ammo.

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I've seen sugar clump up in humid weather and while it is still usable, I've also seen it change color after clumping and got me tentative about it. Anyone know if sugar, can indeed go bad if not stored properly?

12. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

Aug 10, 2010
    NC
    Yup....Honey...One of my favorites & always good to have plenty.

13. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

Aug 10, 2010
    NC
    `Only if it starts hanging out with the wrong crowd...there's No expiration date just Keep it covered and dry.

14. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    I just finished using up the last of some from Y2K a couple years ago. I live in a dry climate though.

15. Babynine

Babynine

Dec 8, 2009
    Denatured alcohol for alcohol camp/marine stoves. I keep enough around to safely cook a few months of hot meals indoors in my Trangia backpacking stoves.

I wish I would have bought more last summer when it was only $10/gallon. Now its $14/gallon around here.

16. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)

Depends, it might be one thing to say what you know as knowledge declines. But if you've got some good techincal books, on whatever topic, THAT knowledge will never go bad.

I'd add blankets/clothes/boots when properly stored.

Some medical stuff remains good till its opened. Really depends on what it is.

Firewood, some other fuel sources.

17. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Hard liquor
    Ivory soap
    Many items that are frozen.
    Water.