close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Prepping out a Forester?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by emt1581, Mar 17, 2013.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Wait...off topic here...but you leave your vehicle 100+ miles from where you hunt for a few days to a few weeks?? What vehicles do you use to travel the 100+ miles and how do you carry enough supplies with you to last that long?!??

-Emt1581

2. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    I have a 08' Polaris Rzr side by side ATV, and a 13' Can-Am Outlander 1000 XMR. My Partners have Honda Rincon's and a 12' Outlander 800

We pull fiberglass trailers filled with our food and gear, and to carry dead animals in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Well I cleansed myself of that wife. :) I also left Houston like a turd in a truck stop.

I now have a kick ass property in West Texas, middle of nowhere, with critters to hunt and a girl that won't waste time. Like I said, I learned a lot!

4. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Excellent. Take only what you need when you bug out. And, the best time to bug out is before everyone else clogs the roads. Lessons to live by. :supergrin:

5. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    That polaris looks amazing!! I've seen bigger ones, never one that size. I really don't want to focus too much on it or I'll have one before Monday.

...so back to jump boxes!!

Thanks

-Emt1581

6. Bushflyr

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Which brings up the question. What are the benefits of the side by side over a Samurai or Jeep? Besides, I guess, being newer.

7. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    Depends on where you live.

There are lots of places a side by side like the RZR, are allowed off road, and a Jeep, or even a side by side like the Polaris Ranger, is not.

The RZR, at 50 inches wide, is classified as a ATV, and not a UTV. There are ATV restricted trails, all over the world.

As far as performance, aside from speed, and going into tight winding spaces where the jeep won't fit there is no real place I can go a jeep can't.

However, the Jeep is also considerably harder on the terrain, burns more fuel to do what I do.

However, a jeep is more reliable, more readily available, and in all reality, is probably cheaper.

Samurai's are neat rigs, and blur the line between the two. But I haven't been able to pin one down at a price I like just yet. However, I will have a multi cam painted, off road tired, air locker equiped VW diesel powered sami before I die.

8. Bushflyr

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Ah, I see the regulatory angle makes sense. Samurai's are mad fun, very capable little rigs. My friend had one in school and we wheeled the crap out of it. Sammys are kind of spendy right now for what they are, but don't overlook the Geo tracker with a SFA swap. Pretty much the same rig, just uglier.

9. secamp32

secamp32

Apr 26, 2006
    AWD Toyota Sienna's come with runflats since the the spare tire space is used for the AWD. There is a ton of info about Siennas and RF tires. Everyone hates them. First, they don't last. The RF tires on the wife's Sienna wore out in less than 15,000 miles. Second, they make the ride harsh. Third you can only drive on them for up to 100 miles. They are not readily available in stores, most of the time they need to be ordered. The sidewalls are extra stiff and some tire shops won't mount or demount them since it might damage their equipment. We replaced them with regular tires and a Slime inflatapump. I bought a spare tire and when we go on long trips I throw it in the back. Also you need to have a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) so you know when the tire loses pressure.

10. secamp32

secamp32

Apr 26, 2006
    FYI you can only get about 150 watts out a of an inverter plugged into the lighter plug. Larger than that requires a direct connection to the battery.

11. FerFAL

FerFAL

May 31, 2007
    Fine Choice there! I came close to getting one myself but I ended up with a Honda CRV.
    I'd keep an extra set of clothes for everyone including winter clothes, some basic supplies like food, first aid kit, a nicer X wrench for changing tires, jumper cables, inflator, couple large bottles fo water (the kids drink a lot of water, often) but that's about it.
    FerFAL

12. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    A couple comments...

ATVs, jeeps, Samurais and such are cool but the OP has a Subaru so that's what he has to work with.

I personally like the all-in-one jump starter, compressor things. They are handy when camping and/or if you inadvertently leave your dome light on all day in the winter. They work ok and some of them have inverters in them plus lights and 12 volt receptacles to run other stuff.

In terms of winches. I've had all kinds of 4x4s and used to do a lot of offroading. Winches are handy if you tend to go off road a lot. There are some that fit into your trailer hitch so you don't have to mount it permanently. A lightweight, cheap alternative is the hand operated come along. Often times getting unstuck is just a matter of moving the vehicle a couple inches or feet in one direction or another, or moving something out of the way. A come along is good for about 80% of stuck situations. I carry one in all my vehicles and on my ATVs. They have proven to be handy numerous times to get people unstuck.

You will also need a tow strap whether you use a winch or come along or just need to be pulled out by another vehicle.

Another alternative to a winch is Hi-Lift jack aka "farm jack". Most 4x4 guys have them. Advantage is that it can be used as a jack or a come along. Disadvantage is that they are 4-5' long and heavy. They don't fit inside a small vehicle very well so you have to mount it on the roof rack or bumper. Probably not needed unless you do a lot of offroading in the back country which I doubt the OP would be doing in a Forester.

Run flat tires. Having a full size spare is more important than run flat tires. You can also treat your tires with Slime and have a tire repair kit with plugs etc. Personally I would waste my time with run flats.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013