close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Preppers????????

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by MoneyMaker, Mar 10, 2012.

1. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker

Feb 16, 2009
    Ok this is for all the folks who think the world is ending,economic collapse,EMP,ect....... Now that you have all taken out 2nd loans on your homes,Used all the kids college funds,Or have taken a business approach to make underground living,Or have just spent Thousands upon thousands to stash food,water,guns,ammo,ect in your homes,Well what will you do with it after this year?Did you or are you gonna WILL this to your children ?There was no Y2K and there was no issue with a EMP this week so do you really think there will be a Catastrophic issue this year ?Or just hoping to get your own television show on cable?

2. spikedzombies

spikedzombies

Dec 13, 2011
    So you just decided to make a thread to get flamed?

All my prepping stuff gets used every year. Food gets cycled and used or donated, guns and ammo get used, ammo used... Most prepping stuff gets used in every day life and I don't buy anything that can't be used for multiple scenarios...

"Sent while riding my purple unicorn bareback through the clouds"

3. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    Prepping is mostly buying things that you will use later in larger quantities now, at least that's where the money is. Look at the thread about taking your neighbors food at gunpoint and tell me who is kinder and smarter, the guy who has prepped and does not need to steal or the guy who has not and finds himself doing desperate things.

Most people on this board prep because they could not live with the alternative of letting their family go hungry or be victimized. It does not take a lot of money either as most of the things that people need to do combined cost less than $5,000. Of course some do a little more than others...

4. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker

Feb 16, 2009
    Where does one come up with $5000 to prep?Unless you are talking over a 5-10 year time frame.I dont have $5000 let alone $300,000 like others are spending.No way would i take out a 2nd Loan on my house to go in debt for someting goofy as the world will end scenario crap.But you 2 failed to answer the Question of do you think we will have such a issue this year that all your prepping and undeground bunkers and bugout spots will pan out?And getting flamed?Geez who cares it is a crazy almost unrealistic subject anyway.Flame on.And yes i would take my neighbors food as they are about 450 pounds and always have plenty so why do i need to spend money i dont have,hahahahahahahahahaha

5. Rumbler_G20

Rumbler_G20

Dec 5, 2011
    N. Florida
    Well, you can rest assured that one thing that will not be done is to be used to cover you or yours's butts. :wavey:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  6. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker

Feb 16, 2009
    Whatever,keep on boosting the economy as we all know Obahma cant do it.Now go buy some of them

2 million dollar bunkers

7. kckndrgn

kckndrgn

Feb 20, 2003
    Memphis
    To paraphrase a quote from another prepping community, I prep to help me live the life I want, even it nothing goes wrong.

With that being said, I don't go into debt to prep, anyone who does is not prepping, IMHO.

8. Where does one come up with $5000 to prep?Unless you are talking over a 5-10 year time frame.I dont have $5000 let alone $300,000 like others are spending.No way would i take out a 2nd Loan on my house to go in debt for someting goofy as the world will end scenario crap.

So, this is all about envy? You can't find the money? Never heard of budgeting?

?Geez who cares it is a crazy almost unrealistic subject anyway.Flame on.And yes i would take my neighbors food as they are about 450 pounds and always have plenty so why do i need to spend money i dont have,hahahahahahahahahaha

Oh, so you're one of those...... You would kill a neighbor for their food, revealing that you are so irresponsible that you don't take necessary precautions to care of yourself or others (even FEMA recommends at least a weeks worth of food and water set aside...that is prepping ya know).

By the way, you could find your decision to steal from your neighbors fatal if the time ever arrived.

As to prepping you see on TV....do you honestly think these are the norm? Would TV present an honest program on prepping or one that would bring in viewers by focusing on the more extreme cases, outliers statistically?

There are thousands of hardworking, scrimping, quiet, responsible people who know that bad things can happen and prepare for that eventuality. Its practical insurance. Mock their conscientiousness if you like. Just don't approach them for help if you find yourself needing it. They are under no obligation to even give you the time of day.

You may act and think like a child all your life, but only your parents are required to care for you.

9. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Mar 19, 2010
    Ozarks
    He got that fat from eating the previous tenant of your apartment. :grill:

10. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    Ok, so your not into prepping but would like to argue with some people who are? Surely you have better things to do with your time don't you?

Anyway, your posts are why they made the "Ignore" button. Goodbye.

:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

11. inzone

inzone

Aug 20, 2009
    actually, from a purely financial aspect prepping is also very smart......I bought 4 in the box Russian SKS's brand new about 25 years ago for I believe about 149 dollars apiece....I could easily sell all four of them today for about 380 bucks or so, maybe even a little more at some of the long line gunshows in my AO....a far better return that the DOW jones average, especially after the crash...... I bought several cases of Chinese 7.62 39 for the obscenely dirt cheap price of about 50 bucks a case if memory serves me.....well today this is almost impossible to get premium ammo (not sure why) and it is five times that amount..... great investment, I have them in my possession, inflation hedge, they aint paper/fiat.....and I can actually use them to defend my family and arm my family,. I can shoot them for fun and training, etc etc.....

what is the downside here in re the OP??????

12. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    I'm pretty sure you are a troll, but nobody answered if they think an "issue" will happen this year. Maybe you just got a crazy idea of people that prepare from one of the tv shows, that while I've never seen, everyone (S&P'er or not) seems to think are pretty crazy.

So what do I think will happen this year? (Not necessarily to me, or in my location)

Mayan apocalypse? No
    Nuclear EMP? No
    Carrington event EMP? No, not this year
    Eccomonic collapse? No, not this year
    Hurricane? Yes
    Flood? Yes
    Drought? Yes
    Tornado? Yes
    Blizzard? Yes
    Earthquake? Yes
    Power outage? Yes
    City water boil advisory? Yes
    Car wreck? Yes
    Unemployment? Yes
    Heart attack? Yes
    Robbery/mugging? Yes

Does that help you understand at all? Things happen to people all the time that almost everyone could be better prepared for. It's odds vs stakes. And yeah we talk more about guns and outdoor stuff, because, we are guys on a gun forum. It's more fun to talk about guns then water storage.

13. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker

Feb 16, 2009
    So why waste all you money and time as this is a every event thast has happen and took place for a very very long time and folks seem to fair pretty well,Without bullet proof vest,1000s of rounds of ammo,underground bunkers in a old silo area,$20,000 in food,But then again this is how i see you guys that watch to much television.

Attached Files:

14. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker

Feb 16, 2009

Not trying to argue,just pointing out the facts,You will die of regular health issues before you see a Economic Downfall,EMP,ZOMBIES,ECT ECT.So you guys can put your combat attire on and hope to get off a few rounds at someone,But i can tell you this,Its not gonna make you happy after you do shoot someone and HAVE TO LIVE WITH THAT VISION EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!

15. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    Sorry I've been doing several things at once and have been editing my post, even after you quoted it, without realizing it. Added Heart attack and robbery/mugging.

Fair pretty well is a matter of opinion, and we disagree. While most people live through those events, why would you not want to raise your odds of living through them, and minimize the effect they have on you?

We all hope that it's never needed.

Yeah, a heart attack is something that many people need to seriously think about what they can do you prevent it.

16. Dr.Crash

Dr.Crash

Nov 3, 2011
    If it keeps my family alive..... I'm sure I'll be able to live with myself.

17. 9jeeps

9jeeps

May 22, 2004
    PNW
    So are these folks "Preppers" or "Hoarders"? Passing through the channels I've noticed most Preppers look like what we use to call junk collectors.

Me a, Prepper? Oh hell no!!!

Those are the first ones that are going to be blown to hell and back from roving gangs that like to do stuff like that. Or found by the local Cops to confiscate your loot. Yep! and they will probably be your friends.

Plus it will be a cinch to shut off their air supply or smoke them out. But more power to them if they feel safe.

At my age I only need one lil gun and a couple bullets in case I miss with the first one. And even then it's going to have to be mighty chaotic!

To protect your own is heroic. To allow them to cook in their own body fluids is moronic.

18. Misty02

Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Florida
    The folks that fared well from those events many are likely to experience are the folks that planned ahead and prepared (or the folks that received help from others that prepared).

Wilma was just a cat 2 when it hit Miami; it left us without power for 3+ weeks. Gas stations couldn’t pump gas (no electricity). Our neighbors pulled together and those with little to no supplies received assistance from the rest of us. No one really thought we would be without power for over 3 weeks and that it would affect two big counties. What do you believe would have happened to those few neighbors who had no food or water beyond a couple of days?

The people that spend large amount of money on bunkers and the like are those that have it. Many of us store what we would normally consume and use and rotate those supplies. We buy things when they are two for one special and the like. It can even help if for reasons beyond your control one month you have extraordinary expenses that go beyond the norm, there is no need to go without things you are accustomed, just borrow from your supplies and replace it when you can.

How long did it take for FEMA to deliver water to those affected by Katrina? How long can you survive from what you have in your home as respect food and water without stealing or being at the mercy of a good neighbor?

19. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Dec 27, 2011
    PNW
    I too live on the coast. We have had many storms and hurricanes that leave us without power, water, food and stranded. We would be stupid not to have a supply of essentials. As far as bunkers, I don't need one but who am I or you to judge someone else's comfort level? To make fun of what someone else does that has no effect on you is childish and shows low class.