Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Preppers Vehicle

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by coleslaw, Feb 18, 2012.

1. coleslaw

Jun 14, 2011
    Is Jeep still the king of Bug out vehicles? I really like pickup trucks and will be looking to buy new. Because this will be my grocery getter too. I know all new vehicles need electricity to run, but I'm not worried about a EMP as much as I'm worried about having to drive over all kinds of terrain because of blocked roadways. I assume some kind of truck, Jeep or even a Subura would be the best vehicles to bug out in, I'm also open to any other suggestions.
  2. Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    I would say a wrangler is too small. I would also want more room inside then a regular cab pick up. I would go SUV, SUT, or extended cab short bed pick up.

I drive a regular cab S series, and it is SMALL inside. But a Syclone is very fun to drive.

3. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
  4. Dexters

May 3, 2004

What makes any vehicles you mention a bug out vehicle?

You're not looking for anything unique if you're "worried about having to drive over all kinds of terrain because of blocked roadways." Get a 4x4 with high clearance.
  5. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

Dec 5, 2007
    Mount Eden, KY
    My bug out vehicle.

I figure if emp hits this is the only thing that I can depend on. :supergrin:
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  6. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    That should go IN your big BOV.
  7. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Nothing wrong with a jeep, truck, whatever; as long as it's reliable. A good truck or jeep is as capable in one situation as another; bugging out in the snow would be a lot like going to Grandma's in the snow or going to the deer cabin in the snow. Same with mud, whatever - the vehicle doesn't know "why" you're going where you're going.

As I expect with a lot of folks here, my "BOV" is my everyday driver. Nothing exotic, just a 4wd 5.4L expedition with towing package & class-3 receiver hitch. I did add one of those 'hitch-haul' receiver carriers (they hold a surprising amount of gear when a trailer itself isn't called for), and an extended roof rack as well, but that's about it.
  8. squirreld

Jan 15, 2006
    US of A
    I had an expedition.
    Hated it!
    Got it stuck 3 times.

I traded it in for an F150.
  9. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    <---- F150 Extended Cab Long Bed for me.

10. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    :dunno: Same vehicle, just different dressing on it, isn't it? Afaik, other than front bull bars, any other items that fit one fit the other...? Again strictly afaik, same engines, transmissions, etc; could be wrong, but I thought that was the case.

Mine does have the infamous "Triton slap" timing chain noise that most of the 5.4 Tritons seem to acquire, but it's just noise and been like that for years with no problems other than sounding a little bit like a diesel. I've been very happy with mine. Except gas mileage... :crying:

Fwiw, never got it stuck, but surely would have a few times if it weren't 4wd, and even with that, there've been some "iffy" moments. :whistling:
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  11. racerford

Apr 22, 2003
    DFW area
    Excursion Diesel 4x4. Larger than the Suburban and Diesel. 44 Gallon fuel tank. your stuff is lee visible than in a PU truck. get the hitch carrier and put 4 or 5 5 gallon tanks on it covered by a tarp. Not perfect but not bad either.
  12. Devans0

Oct 26, 2011
    Old F350 diesel 4X4 crew cab long box tow pkg w/ 5th wheel hitch... The guy that originally bought this had it decked out with all the goods.
  13. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Got it covered.'08.
  14. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    I have a older Suburban 2500. 4X4 w/ lift. Rebuilt trans and eng. It has an OBSCENE amount of cargo space and it is all inside nice and warm and dry. It can double as a sleeping area(sans some cargo). MY BOL is less than 100 mi from my home, so I think this will suit me well if the SHTF.
  15. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    My BOV is a full size Ford van. Why? because It is already setup for weekend or week long camping trips when I am ATVing or camping, fishing, hunting etc. I can live in it and haul just about everything I need.

Week long ATV trip with my wife to Kentucky and WV. My 2 up ATV fits in the back and is out of sight when traveling. I also have small motorcycle (Honda Trail 90) and/or a bicycle I throw in the back if I am not ATVing. I've also done solo trips to Michigan's UP, Canada and out west in it.

16. JackMac

Mar 13, 2011
    F150, 4x4, quad cab, 5..4 Triton, 35 gal. tank works fine for me. Can't swim or fly, but it will go just about anywhere you like, if you use good judgment
  17. vetmedglock30

Jan 14, 2011
    The roads will be blocked by debris and by armed people. With out an APC you will be just a supply vehicle to whomever stops you. You may get past your first ambush. The next 100 will not be so easy.
  18. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    That's why you have to be the first one out of town... once people panic you will need the APC.
  19. FH Alum

FH Alum

Jan 14, 2005
    Beaver State
    Dont discount a bike. Look at footage of an evac post hurricane. Roads are parking lots. A bike with a trailer like one used to haul kids can carry 100 lbs + of gear. Smart packing and a bit of fitness equals 50+ miles a day minimum. That is likely enough to get to safety off the beaten path. Folks out west go on extended camping trips for weeks off of bikes and can travel 100 miles in a day with saddle bags. Adding a trailer would allow much more cargo with less distance.

Ideal would be my rv but when fuel is limited and roads jammed having the flexibility of bike is hard to beat. Personally my biggest fear is an earthquake on west coast. When bridges fall and I-5 buckles cars will be ome useless. Quads and bikes will become best option.
  20. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Knowing when ta GOOD is the best thing you could do,practice the routes and have multiple egress plans.'08.