close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Preparedness HOT DEALS Thread

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Bolster, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

Nov 9, 2008

2. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    Got an email from LA Police Gear. They didn't send me the pack because the info. on my CC was not accurate when they finally decided to send it this month (June). This was due to the "every couple of years renewal" of your CC that happened in April 2012 prior to when they decided to fill the order.

Arrrrrgh...

They did offer to re-open the order, but I'm gonna let it go. Case closed.

Wren

3. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

Nov 10, 2001
    South of Houston
    Sign up for their Newsletter and you will get some good sale notifications. I have stocked the larder from buying during their sales.

4. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Harbor Freight 800W/900 Max Watt generator.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engine...s-900-max-watts-portable-generator-66619.html

$179.99 normally (it's never this price)

$129.99 sale (normal price)

But with code number 22695067 it's $89.99

YOU MUST TELL THEM TO TYPE IN THE CODE AT THE REGISTER. THEY WILL TELL YOU THAT YOU CAN'T USE COUPONS FOR GENERATORS

The code should be good through July or August.

I bought one today. It'll serve as a backup for my mini-fridge and water pump on my hot dog cart. But if the SHTF it'll power plenty of things around the house temporarily at least.

I just gotta figure how to charge a deep cycle battery with it in the most efficient way possible if a normal charger isn't the most efficient way. Then I can pull a LOT more than 800W off of the generator by proxy. Plus if I'm running off a battery there are FAR more options for how/when/where to do it instead of a noisy generator that needs ventilation/space and is easy to pin point the location of when running.

BTW, this thing is well worth the 90 bucks. Check out the youtube videos on them. Might be one or two tops complaining about them. Over a dozen showing how well they work. Plus I heard something either here or somewhere else saying they put out a great clean sine wave...something like that.

Search online you can find 20% off coupons all day long. But you can't use those on the generators.

-Emt1581

5. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Good deal on that. I'm not the world's biggest fan of harbor-freight type tools & equipment, but a small cheap generator like that can be a useful "beater" tool. We keep a small 1000 watt generator in a tote tub in our shop along with a small air compressor for use on remote jobsites. The generator is just barely big enough to run a 1/2" hammer drill and just barely big enough to run the compressor; but it lets us have power tools and air tools where we'd otherwise be stuck with hand tools. (I used the generator & compressor both just this week drilling & setting anchor bolts in concrete where there was no power available.)

Not the type of thing I'd recommend as 'first-line' equipment, but for a beater tool that you won't lose sleep over when it dies, it can make a good bit of sense imo; especially at that kind of price.

6. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    I know what you mean and couldn't have put it better myself.

If someone doesn't like Harbor Freight that's fine. I'm having an issue with one of their trailers now. However, this specific item has received amazing reviews and for the price you won't be able to find such power anywhere else.

Personally, I like a few things about it...

1. It's 2-stroke. That means no worrying about changing the oil or running it every month or two. You can even let it sit unlike a 4-stroke.

2. It's tiny. I can throw this thing in a trunk, back seat or carry it on my lap (passenger). Can't do that with most other generators.

3. It's super simple. Just has an on/off, choke, reset/breaker, and a pull cord.

4. Price. Sure a Honda might do the same thing but it's easily 4-5 times the price.

I'll be testing it out tomorrow. But if this thing runs well, I just might buy another. As mentioned, at this price, if one breaks, it's no big financial loss.

-Emt1581

7. Are you ok? Did it blow up on you?

8. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    Great Deal! Thanks.

9. Carry16

Carry16

Sep 7, 2004
    SW Missouri
    I received a flyer from HF that is good for all of July and this generator is listed in it for the $89.99 price. This is a 2-stroke engine. I was reading the manual and had to laugh. They want you to keep the load below 600 watts during the breaking period of 50 hours. They also want you to replace the fuel/oil mixture periodically - like changing oil - very strange those Chinese.

10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    :rofl:

No no, nothing like that. I've been busy. I've probably lost 5lbs in sweat over the past week. Working during the day and putting the finishing touches on my hot dog cart at night. I tried getting everything loaded up tonight for opening day Saturday. However I discovered I need to buy a winch because this thing is heavy.

As far as the generator goes...LOVE IT!!!

It started on the second pull. Runs like a champ. Powers my mini fridge (and hopefully a small fan to give me a breeze). It's a LOT quieter than I thought it would be as well. Not whisper quiet but you can easily talk at a normal volume over it when it is at your feet.

No complaints here! We'll see how it hold up if I need it to run 6-8hrs.

-Emt1581

11. Glad you survived. I'm going to hit up HF today and see if that code works at the till. Noticed it did not work online. I really do need one for work and it could serve for a backup to my backup at home. Thanks again for the heads up.

12. Haldor

Haldor Retired EE

Oct 22, 2006
    Central Arizona
    Don't forget to change the oil. I change mine after every 50 hours of use and also whenever I put it away (after the power comes back on). Not having an oil filter means contaminated oil will eat your engine alive.

13. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Found a deal on Lucas oil additive at a local auto parts house.$45 for 6qts.'08.

ETA: It runs $10 a qt off sale.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  14. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    There is a 2.5 year long thread on AR15.com on these generators.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/...__with_pics__56k_noway____update_page_14.html

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  15. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

Nov 9, 2008
    What is the oil/gas ratio on these? 2/1?

16. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    50:1. So it's 2oz per tank. Plus there is a little measuring cup built in to the gas cap. It's pretty nice.

I bought half a case of the oil and THEN realized it took so little of it. Running it a few times a month, I have more than enough to last a few years.

-Emt1581

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  17. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    There might be a little problem now...

I went to buy a winch the other day and brought a coupon code with me for 20% off. I get to the register, she types it in...multiple times....didn't work. Then she said that from now on I guess HF is requiring coupons to be physically brought in...not just codes any more.

But try it, she could have been wrong.

It was great when she pulled a coupon out of the garbage, scanned it, winked at me and smiled and said "you didn't see that"... :supergrin:

-Emt1581

18. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    It's 2-stroke. Nothing to do oil-wise except add it to the gas.

-Emt1581

19. Hit my local HF. Big sign right by the Gensets - no coupons.

Wouldn't use the code at the register.

No sale.