close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Preparedness HOT DEALS Thread

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Bolster, Oct 3, 2011.

1. racerford

racerford

Apr 22, 2003
    DFW area
    Many people on this forum have had problems with that company.

Also IIRC someone associated with them got into trouble for shipping ammo to the US government that was not what it was claimed to be.

Bringing them up probably starts postings that that violate the TOS.

2. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    I've not had trouble with them but I know LOTS of others have which is probably why b o t a c h is a bad word on GT.

All that aside...what kind of quality are we talking about here? Also will this let me charge a deep cycle battery...I almost said overnight..almost... :faint:

...but how efficient it is by itself or do you need any other equipment?

Thanks

-Emt1581

3. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    I dunno. When I finds a deal I posts it, but it's all caveat emptor from there on out. On this one I was shocked at the price (low) but saddened it was 24v, and I need 12.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  4. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    I'm not good with electrical...you can't by any chance just get two of these for 12v can you??

http://www.******tactical.com/brso2w6vsoam.html

Either way, again, can they charge a deep cycle marine battery?

Thanks

-Emt1581

5. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    7812 12 Volt regulator IC.

6. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Was that supposed to be a link??

If not what is 7812?

Thanks

-Emt1581

7. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

Aug 10, 2010
    NC
  8. dissthis

dissthis Gun Fan

Aug 24, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    It looks like you would have to charge 2 12v batteries in series.
    see page 5 here
    http://www.nyc-arecs.org/Connecting_Batteries_and_Chargers_in_Series_and_Parallel.pdf

OR
    If someone knows how to hook up a regulator to charger/battery to reduce voltage...

9. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

Aug 10, 2010
    NC
    [​IMG]
    BLACK & DECKER 12 & 6 VOLT BATTERY MAINTAINER...Keeps 12 volt Deep Cycle Batteries charged & ready. I just bought one at Lowes yesterday...works well on my 12 volt Deep cycle battery.

10. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    It's a voltage regulator IC that has 3 terminals, in - ground - out. Put in 24 volts and you get a constant 12 volts out.

11. Actually solar panels are usually listed at a lot higher voltage. It's normal for a '12v' solar panel to actually put out 17 volts. A good charge controller (which you should have for a solar install) will regulate that down. Most gel or SLA batteries need 13.2 to 14v to charge, so you don't want exactly 12v. Also, if you have a solar panel that was exactly 12v and it gets cloudy, you'll loose some voltage. By starting off with 17+, it can help overcome that.

12. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    4sevens is running a special on their high CRI lights. I own several, they are my favorites, just wish I'd bought them on a sale like this!!

http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_456

I highly recommend the High CRI Quark MiNi AA if you're looking for a single AA. Not the brightest, but the color rendition is phenomenal for an LED. Color rendition > brightness.

Also Harbor Fright is running a sale on their 45 w solar panel setup for $149. Three dollars per watt is cheap. I know nothing about its utility or quality, am asking in a separate thread. Given it's HF, it can't be the best.

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-90599.html

(As Ric says above, you want more than the voltage you need to charge your batts. Notice the above system designed for 12V, actually puts out up to 23V.)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  13. rwrjr

rwrjr

May 25, 2007
    Northern VA
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  14. .50 cal

.50 cal

Jan 4, 2011
    Philadelphia
    what kind of color tint do they have?

15. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Technically, high CRI means more full-spectrum output regardless the tint. In theory you could have a high CRI light that was really blue or red...a campfire, for example, is a very red high CRI. In reality, most hi CRI lights have an incandescent look to them (a little to the warm side, usually described as yellow, brown/yellow, peach, etc), as do the Quarks. If you check out CPF, you'll see plenty of comparative photos of the tint of the Quark Hi CRIs. Overwhelmingly, people like the tint; most people consider it a pretty good substitute for an incandescent light. Even better is when you shine the beam on objects at night, the objects look normal, not "flat" like you get with your typical inexpensive blue- or green-tint LED. Foliage looks like foliage, not like plastic plants. Red items look red, not washed-out pinkish-grey, etc.

Most folks at CPF...once they try high CRI or a good neutrlal/warm tint, they never go back. I've sold off all my "normal" LEDs and now only own either high CRIs or good neutral/warm tints.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  16. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    rwrjr is right on the lights. Own 4 by that company.

17. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

Nov 11, 2003
    Brevard County, FL
    Ran into this deal at Costco on freeze dried entrees. It's advertised as "Easy Meal, by the makers of Mountain House" (Oregon Freeze Dry which owns MH), so it's likely the same stuff. FWIW, one of the reviews says an e-mail inquiry confirmed it was the same product used by MH with different branding. It's 6 cans of Chili mac, 6 cans of Spaghetti w/Meat sauce, and 6 cans of Chicken a la king for $280 shipped.

I priced out the comparison at beprepared.com (with the exact same entrees except Mountain House), it's 47% cheaper at Costco. Even if you waited until beprepared ran their occasional 25% off MH deal, you're still saving almost 30% here. Here's the link

I already placed an order for the package and will open a can of each and post back if anything is amiss (my expectation is it should taste as good or better than MH). Anyone ever deal with "Easy Meal" and if so, what are your thoughts? Same or as good as MH?

18. Haldor

Haldor Retired EE

Oct 22, 2006
    Central Arizona