close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pregnant Pacifica woman killed by family pit bull

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by DonGlock26, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Keoking

Keoking
    Expand Collapse

One night I went to bed much later than my wife, and scared her when I came in the bedroom door. Our pit mix nearly attacked me to defend her. I guess I should of said 'her pit mix.' That dog likes me ok but would go to hell and back for the wife.
    In situations where you don't abuse them, I've always been told that pits are the most loyal dog there is. I have to wonder what sparked the attack on that poor woman. Something to do with her being pregnant? Dogs are funny about things like that sometimes, huh?

2. AA#5

AA#5
    Expand Collapse

It's quite obvious that pit bulls can attack without a reason (except one that's known only to them).

Knowing that (as we all do), anyone who chooses to own one over all the other available breeds without that reputation, is risking a lifetime of well-deserved guilt & anguish if that occurs.

The remarks frequently heard after such an attack "I don't understand it....he's always been nice to everyone.....he plays with all the neighborhood children....he's not an attack dog.....he's never been abused...." certainly bear that out.

It is mind boggling how many here will make all kinds of nonsensical excuses for pitbulls - "It's the owners, not the dogs.....it's how he was raised....etc.

#3 AA#5, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  3. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01
    Expand Collapse
    Pretty Ladies!

:popcorn:

Here we go! Another thread involving slanderous liars telling lies against the Dog Breed of Peace, may Allah's favor shine upon them.

Sweeeeeet.

4. dano1427

dano1427
    Expand Collapse

The way it's being spun locally by the pro-pit types is that the attacking dog (there were two in the house) was an unneutered male, so that must have been the issue, because they were "good" dogs who would never harm anyone...as usual...

5. PROSOUTH

PROSOUTH
    Expand Collapse

You beat me to it Dukeboy

Over 90% of the dog calls I get in my county for a visious dog is for the Dog of Peace, and everytime the owner gives me the same ol' lines......

:faint:

#6 PROSOUTH, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  6. clancy

clancy
    Expand Collapse

A few years ago I worked with a guy whose young daughter was mauled by their Pitbull. Again, the dog was well cared for, never abused, and "loved everybody". The girl got up to pick up the tv remote from the floor and the dog pitched into her. I don't remember how may stitches it took to close the wounds, but there were lots.

His attitude was , "hey, it's a pit, these things happen." I would have shot the dog without a second thought. It wasn't until after the 3rd or 4th attack on his kids and CPS finally stepping in and giving the guy the choice of the dog or his kids did he finally get rid of the dog.

7. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

My sympathies to the kids.

8. dougader

dougader
    Expand Collapse

This is the part I don't get.... how in the heck do parents allow their kids to be attacked more than once by the family dog? One nip at my kids and the dog would be buried in the back field. And NEVER leave a child alone with a dog. NEVER.

9. Sharkey

Sharkey
    Expand Collapse

Our female pit mixes have been anything but vicious. They are/were loyal to a tee.

No excuses, a pit isn't for everyone. You do have to be a dominant alpha and not let the dog have control. If you can't do that, a pit is not for you.

Never had a male dog and never will. Maybe it was an issue? Who knows.

Our current pit is 2YOA but you can bet if we ever get another dog it will be a rescued pit. The fact that cops answer a lot of dog calls involving pits is no surprise when a certain community fights them and sees them as a status symbol.

Prayers to the poor guy who has to live with this.

10. razdog76

razdog76
    Expand Collapse
    Heavy Mettle

Ding, Ding!

I have not been sent to a dog bite involving any of the dog breeds known as a pit bull, but I have gone to a variety of dog bite calls with other dominant dogs such as GSD, Rottweiler, and most recently a Boxer which bit a plumber on the arm, puncturing a vessel.

Socialization, training, and establishing the pack order early is paramount for ownership of any of these dogs, just like having kids.

11. AA#5

AA#5
    Expand Collapse

Should have gotten rid of the "father."

12. countsk

countsk
    Expand Collapse

Get a Lab for the kids and a G19 (wife's nightstand) and a 12 gauge (my nightstand) for uninvited guests.

Next post.

#13 countsk, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  13. dano1427

dano1427
    Expand Collapse

And what happens when the Pit decides to change the pack order? Or decides to eliminate its closest rival in the family pack? It happens with all breeds, however, through various types of behavior, not the extreme aggression seen with these dogs. The combination of Molosser and Terrier based dogs add up to a screwy, unpredictable dog.

The pro-Pit crowd has never been able to answer the question as to why there are the stories of the perfect family dog just "snapping" and maiming or killing a family member. The Pacifica, Ca story is a great example. Everyone interviewed has stated that they were wonderful animals, yet one of these great and wonderful animals killed.

Statistically, origin-Pits in 2010 accounted for 23 out of 33 canine caused deaths, so far in 2011, 7 out of 11 canine deaths were from canines of Pit origin. Of the conclusions, it's either bad owners, the breed, or a combination of both.

Pro-Pit people say they are the best dogs, but can't explain away the stats. Or is it really bad owners? Then, what does that say about the pro-pit contingent?

#14 dano1427, Aug 15, 2011
  14. Newcop761

Newcop761
    Expand Collapse
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

The only vicious animal calls I responded to involved Pitbulls.

Moved north and my next door neighbor's pitt bit the 11 year old girl next to them on the face. Unprovoked. 22 stitches to close her face up.

15. Sharkey

Sharkey
    Expand Collapse

You're gonna knock the people now too? The ones who went in to save Vick's dogs or rescue untold # of abused dogs? Bravo.

16. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

Labs bite alot of people each year. It can happen with any dog.

17. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy
    Expand Collapse
    Code-7A KUZ769

When I cruise the news websites I will keep copies of interesting articles I come across. This includes dog attacks. I have maybe 30 different articles from across the U.S. regarding dog attacks. All of these dog attack articles I have start out: 3 year old mauled to death, 8 month old mauled to death, elderly man seriously mauled, elderly woman mauled to death by pet dogs, infant's testicles chewed off by family dog, 6 year old girl mauled to death by friend's family dog, 17 year old mauled by 3 dogs in parking lot almost killed, etc... Of those articles, 1 dog was a Rotweiller and the rest are all pit bulls.

It's very easy to see the pattern here. Pit Bull lovers can make all the excuses they want and turn a blind eye to the truth, but the evidence is overwhelming against the breed.

18. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano
    Expand Collapse
    VIVA MEXICO !!!

Lots of people swear by this dogs. I wouldn't trust one 50 feet from my kids, not even with a loaded gun in my hand pointed to it's thick skull.

Miniature breeds for me, thanks, at least their bite is small as them and are easily controllable in a SHTF situation (you can kill them with one hand :whistling:).

#19 PuroMexicano, Aug 15, 2011
  19. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano
    Expand Collapse
    VIVA MEXICO !!!

A coulple of expert trainers have told me that Lab bites are mostly out of playing, not attacking. Their behavior is on the hiperactive side and tend to play without controlling their strength.

As said above, so I've been told, have no idea if true.