close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Preferred Method of Game Removal

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Beware Owner, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Beware Owner

Beware Owner
    Expand Collapse
    NOT a victim.

Which is yours? Game includes white tail and hogs.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. 357glocker

357glocker
    Expand Collapse

shoot them?

3. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

define removal?

if your talking about carrying them out, it depends on areas,laws and access. I've removed deer/hogs using slings, drag slid, game carts, bikes, quad runner and 2 person with a pole stick on a few ocassions.

Most prefered way is in a PU bed or a front loader of a John deer ;)

4. Beware Owner

Beware Owner
    Expand Collapse
    NOT a victim.

By removal I mean to transport the carcass to camp for quartering.

5. 357glocker

357glocker
    Expand Collapse

In that case I would have to say drag it to a place where you can get a vehicle to. I've found that deer carts are great if the terrain allows, but most of the time I end up fighting with the cart so much it's easier to just tie a drag rope to both legs and pull it to where you can pick it up. Never shot anything bigger than a whitetail deer so an elk or moose would be a new experience that I'm sure I'd learn quick from!

6. CC Glock

CC Glock
    Expand Collapse

a good horse can pack out alot of meat. If i dont have access to my horse i use a drag vest and drag it till i can get a truck in.

7. K.Kiser

K.Kiser
    Expand Collapse

First I utilize ye' ol rifle, and if my aim was solid then I put a 10' rope around their necks and try my best to imitate a plow mule until I can put em' in the truck...

8. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

This year is my 34th season of deer hunting.

Up until last year I have always dragged them out to the closest place we could get a truck to.

Last year late in the season I went hunting with a buddy of mine. He's got a couple hundred acres on the side of one of our little mountains. (you guys out west would call it a foothill.) The cabin is at the base of the hill and the standard hunting method is to ride a quad up the hill in the morning and hunt from your stand. They had an extra quad that Saturday so I rode it up the hill, shot a nice size doe, gutted her out, backed the quad up to the carcass, threw her on the back and rode down the hill to the cabin.

That's a lot easier then dragging them.

9. Big Bird

Big Bird
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Depends,

I have one of those two wheeled carts and it works great in terrain that is too rough or tight for my ATV. I'll drag the animal if I have to. My Honda Foreman can winch things up to 150 feet away and maybe a little farther if I tie in some rope. Then I can carry it. But on level terrain using a winch is a waste of time and I'll just drag it.

Last two deer I shot went 235 and 250 lbs...

I like shooting them in an open field and driving the p/u out to get it ;)

10. Beware Owner

Beware Owner
    Expand Collapse
    NOT a victim.

Unfortunately, atv's are not allowed where I'm hunting, and I don't have one, either.

11. CC Glock

CC Glock
    Expand Collapse

Big bird thats some big freakin deer. My biggest weighted about 225. You must be huntin some PIGS.

12. trailgator

trailgator
    Expand Collapse

John Deere gator. In the terrain around my neck of the woods, it'll go anywhere I need to go. And some places I probably shouldn't.

13. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

Dang,

I shot 5 deer last year and combined I don't think they weighed as much as your last 2 deer.

14. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

Lats deer I shot was 135lb dressed. But after pushing his ass out over 2miles of terrain, it felt like 500lbs

Game carts do save a lot of wear and tear on the human body.

15. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin
    Expand Collapse

Atv, used for getting the deer out, and skinning! Have done my share of draging, carrying, and those days are gone. Oh you need my help getting a deer out, hold on, let me get the quad off the truck!:supergrin:

16. CanyonMan

CanyonMan
    Expand Collapse
    In The Saddle

[​IMG]

Works for me. ;)

CM

17. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

CanyonMan, So how does that beast thing work ?

You ride her out to the pasture and put her on a graze line and then kill a deer and fetch your horse & tie the game off to the saddle?

or do you whistle and she comes on demand and tracks you down?

:cool:

One thing about using a horse that's an advantage, it sure as hell is a lot quieter than a quad or PU.

18. CC Glock

CC Glock
    Expand Collapse

That tie down lets em really dig in and pull some weight huh.

19. CanyonMan

CanyonMan
    Expand Collapse
    In The Saddle

Well to answer you noway, and CC Glock on his post below ya.

Biscuit just has to carry me around. :supergrin: I take another horse on a lead rope and pack out the game on the pack saddle. This is IF I am going in an area I can't use the Pick Up ! haha.

Sometimes I'll ride around an "glass for a buck," and slip off and get in front of the horses and make my shot. Some times both horses are tied to a mesquite, with "just enough lead rope to keep their nose off the ground", cause the rattlers are still out a little bit in the canyons here even in November, unless we get a real cold snap. Where I take them, I don't want one getting bit on the nose while grazin. I don't want to hobble them where I take em cause then they don't have a chance to stomp on a snake if one comes around them.

It's sorta play by ear. If I glass and see something, I'll tie 'em up and walk a few feet away and shoot. Sometimes tie 'em up and still hunt or just sit on the canyon rim where I can see the whole world from there. haha. Never far from them though.

Some of the deer out here are so small you can throw them over the saddle and then sit behind the cantle and walk out. Most horses won't do this cause they hate that bucks head bangin up against them. I've had a rodeo before with a dead buck up on the saddle of an old horse called Chucky. Man he went nuts on me ! haha. Biscuit does real good though. Just eaiser all the way around using a pack horse. ;)

Good hunting amigo's
    Have a very prosperous year out there...

CM

20. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

Maybe one day I would get the Mare (horse in the Avatar ) to pack out a animal. She hasn't been ridden that much and is very unpredictable when it comes to the saddle. I Can only dream of one day she might get a clue and become a Lipizzaner but that's a long way off :rofl: