close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Pre-match preparations

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by mikey177, Nov 24, 2004.

1. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Jan 28, 2003
    Philippines
    Would you seasoned competitors kindly share the things you do to prepare the day or days before a big match?

Do you load your magazines the night before? Do you get a good night's rest? Do you perform any mental exercises or visualizations as you lay in bed? Equipment check? Do you ever get match jitters the night before the competition, and if so, how do you deal with them?

2. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    1. prepare your equipment
    2. load or unloaded mags- personal pref
    3. sleep early/sleep late - the answer is obvious but still its personal preference
    4. visualizations - personal pref but recommended. top guns have these excercises
    5. jitters - depends on your mindset but its normal

3. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    prepare all your stuff the night before. my current range bag (i bought an american tourister overnight/carry-on bag) contains the following items:

belt and holster
    rudy project kerosene shooting glasses
    ear muffs and ear plugs
    knee and elbow pads
    magazine brush and swab
    small rag/towel for cleaning pistol and mags
    small bottle of Mobil 1 oil
    small tool kit for disassembling pistol and magazines - punch, screwdriver, allen keys, leatherman, etc.
    pistol cover for when it rains
    pro-grip lotion
    ballpen
    hat/cap
    towel
    digital camera
    sunblock
    first aid kit - band aids, analgesic, small bottle of betadine antiseptic, alcohol swabs, antibiotic ointment and eye drops, tape, gauze dressing, etc.
    2 bottles of water or gatorade
    dried mangoes
    hard candies
    ammo in sufficient quantity for the match plus extra if ever you get a re-shoot
    pistol magazines
    the pistol inside a gun rug

do not forget to bring your pistol to the match as i once did!

4. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    The answer should be , whatever keeps you relaxed and loose on match day.
    I dont prepare at all, kung out of town match I'm usually drunk the night before ( hanggnag 3am usually :)), and the only time I handle my gun, andun na sa match mismo.

Si Pible baliktad. Maaga matulog , or kung room mate mo siya, he would spend most of his time trying to psych you out :)
    May dry fire pa, equipment check and double check, pati yata parking the next day , pinag aaralan .

Jitters? its what makes competition so addicting
    Pag wala na pressure , it's time to change games

5. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    make sure your equipment works 100%. the sights should be zeroed in. i also bring along a spare slide stop or any other part that may break. if you have a back-up pistol, bring it to the match also.

preventive maintenance is best. change springs after so many hundreds or thousands of rounds fired through the pistol.

6. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    ako naman sobrang relaxed to the point na hindi na ako makatakbo! hahahaha!!!

7. Saruman

Saruman I carry a GLOCK

Dec 9, 2002
    Middle Earth
    ditto on the drunk part.. hehehe.. but i try to dryfire a day or two before the match.. draw strokes and reload movements.. i always get the jitters on the 1st stage.. pagdating sa 2nd and up to the end, enjoy na all the way.. hehehehe ;f ;f .. but i aint seasoned like the rest.. seasonal shooter pwede pa.. time and budget restricts the hobby.. ;c ;c

8. I'll use doc EC's list to describe how I prepare. Mine are only those in bold...
    And the valid PTT

Do you load your magazines the night before? Nope. Forces me to do something while waiting for the match to start.

Do you get a good night's rest? Not much different from my usual insomniac pattern

Do you perform any mental exercises or visualizations as you lay in bed? Counting chicks jumping over lazy me... ;)

Equipment check? A dry fire or two, that's about it.

Do you ever get match jitters the night before the competition, and if so, how do you deal with them? No jitters for me. sometimes I feel it's a chore. But I still push myself out da door. Gotta smell the gunsmoke.... ;)

9. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    yeah, the photocopy of the FA license, PTT and PPSA ID are stored in a ziploc bag and are all inside the gun rug pocket

10. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Jan 28, 2003
    Philippines
    Natawa ako dito sir. Actually, if time and circumstances had permitted it, I would've gone to the PNP range in Lingayen a few days ago just to familiarize myself with its location, since this will be my first time to go there and I don't want to get lost :)

I think I have to get a bigger range bag to lug around all my stuff. At present I am using two smaller bags, which is a bit of a hassle since I may forget to bring something, mistakenly thinking that its in the other bag.

Thanks for the tips.

11. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    sa dau or sa gilid ng crame maraming nabibiling mga tool bags. magandang lalagyan ng ammo and as a stage bag. si Laiza meron rin binebenta.

so you don't have to lug all your stuff the whole day if it's not needed.

12. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Feb 21, 2002
    Philippines
    HA? Akala ko sa match na mismo ginagawa yan? ;f;f

13. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Oct 1, 2002
    California
    For me the most important thing is to have a good breakfast. Aba mahirap ng gutomin during the match....hehe ;f

14. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    psst! batangueno, e hindi naman tayo mauubusan ng pagkain, e! tayo pa! hahaha!!!!

15. jerrytrini

jerrytrini

Sep 15, 2001
    19th Hole
    Work out the day before a big match. If the courses of fire are shown on the net, study them. Chamber check all your match ammo. When you get to the range, mingle and socialize(this is to make you feel relaxed).

When Doc Eyecutter, Falvar, ArmedandDangerous and I shot a Norco match (small one)we had breakfast and spent almost 45 minutes socializing with others. If you regularly shoot a match, jitters will go away. That's why the only prep for a big match is shooting small matches more often. My 2 cents.

16. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Oct 1, 2002
    California
    ;z

17. homogenizer

homogenizer Mr. DQ

Nov 12, 2002
    Earth
    magazines: i keep them unloaded. just load em up before the match begins. Its great to have a separate magazines for defense and sport. my defense mags are always filled less 2 rounds ;e

good night's rest: yep! the last time i went to a match with 1 hour of sleep i usually miss a sequence of targets ;f

mental exercise: nope! just relax and dont mind the match!

jitters: usually before the stage begins! I love it! ;e

equipment check: certainly important especially checking and practicing a newyork1 trigger before match day! ;z

18. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    i told you the new jersey trigger was better;f

19. homogenizer

homogenizer Mr. DQ

Nov 12, 2002
    Earth
    ;z ;z ;z lets see if the "rosales trigger" works better ;f