close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pre ban mags

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jdl2, Jul 25, 2012.

1. jdl2

jdl2

Is there such a thing as New (i.e., unused) Pre Ban hi cap mags for a G19 and G23 both Gen 3s? Where is the best place to try to buy them? Thanks for your help.
    Stuck in NY!:crying:
    JL

2. eric2684

eric2684

Yes, in most states, the assault weapons ban has expired(in 2006 I believe). You can now purchase high capacity magazines in those states. I moved to CA, and also cannot purchase them here, but could in Michigan before I moved.

3. jmb79

jmb79

The term "pre-ban" is usually used to refer to firearms and parts manufactured before the 1994 ban took effect. The key word is manufactured. Thus, the only way there could be a "new" "pre-ban" magazine would be if one was purchased new before the 1994 ban took effect but was never used. Thus, it would more accurately called "new old stock" or NOS.

If I lived in a state were I could only use pre-ban high capactiy magazines (or 10 rounders), I would post want-to-buy ads here on Glock Talk seeking to purchase them. I know them come up for sale from time to time. Note, you should also be on the look out for pre-ban G17 and G22 magazines as they will work in your G19 and G22. The G17 magazines may be more plentiful as well.

Edited to add: eric2684, the ban sunsetted in 2004. Also, don't confuse the OP my stating that "pre-ban" magazines are now available since the ban ended. The whole point of calling some high capactiy magazines "pre-ban" and others "post-ban" is to diferentiate which magazines can be owned in those states, such as CA and NY, which do not allow the ownership of high capacity magazines manufactured after the 1994 ban took effect. You'll get someone in legal trouble my talking about things you don't understand.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  4. SJ 40

SJ 40

I do not remember ever seeing such a place and the scalpers prices that I see being charged for used is enough to make one cringe.
    I am sure somewhere their maybe new unused pre ban magazines available but I wouldn't know where to look. SJ 40

5. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I have never seen any New Old Stock, and I am sure it were ever out there, they would get bought up in a heartbeat by scalpers.

6. eric2684

eric2684

Edited to add: eric2684, the ban sunsetted in 2004. Also, don't confuse the OP my stating that "pre-ban" magazines are now available since the ban ended. The whole point of calling some high capactiy magazines "pre-ban" and others "post-ban" is to diferentiate which magazines can be owned in those states, such as CA and NY, which do not allow the ownership of high capacity magazines manufactured after the 1994 ban took effect. You'll get someone in legal trouble my talking about things you don't understand.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I thought it was in 2006, not 2004. Sorry about the confusion smartass. High capacity magazines are pre or post ban, i.e. produced before the ban, or after the ban.

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

There are no new pre-ban (Pre September 1994) magazines available anywhere. They sold out quickly 18 years ago.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  8. Redheadhunter21

Redheadhunter21

Yeah but originally states only allowed pre-ban high capacity magazines, there might be some states that still only allow pre-ban high capacity magazines, that don't allow new high capacity mags. It's fairly easy to differentiate the two

9. ken grant

ken grant

How in the heck can you tell what year a magazine was made? Marked LEO Only fits in a certain time peroid but what about others unless they are non-dropfree

10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Unless someone bought some extra mags then, and never took them out of the package :)

11. fairtomidland

fairtomidland

I had been wondering what the pre ban mag postings meant, Thanks for the explanation.

12. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The caliber marking on the rear of a preban magazine is in a different location, making identification easy. NFML mags make identification even easier.

13. jdl2

jdl2

Thank you all.
    Can pre ban production mags be restored to excellent working condition?
    Where are the pre ban marked?
    Please explain NFML.
    What should i ask a potential seller about their mags to confirm they're legal in NY?
    Jim L.

14. TomAiello

TomAiello

Why not just buy old pre-bans and then replace the follower and spring?

I've got some pre-ban G21 mags that have been going strong since 1992.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  15. jdl2

jdl2

Makes sense to me just want to be certain I'm buying pre ban mags. It's not easy being a New Yorker. Especially after living in Florida for 35 years.:brickwall:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  16. PAGunner

PAGunner

I had about 10 I sold to another member on here last year, they're out there, available. All you need to do is order a rebuild kit, new follower, mag spring and base plate and your Pre ban mag is almost like new.

17. jdl2

jdl2

What is a reasonable price to pay for them?
    JL

18. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

depends how bad you want them. I have seen them listed online for $60-75 each and as high as $90.

19. larson1122

larson1122

He was simply helping to clarify that in some states, such as CA and NY, the only high capacity magazines you can posses must be pre-ban, meaning manufactured before 1994. Your first post was bit misleading by saying yes to the OP's question. There is no such thing as new pre-ban magazines, unless of course they were purchased prior to the ban in 1994 and left unused since.

20. MajorD

MajorD

I have often found the NFML (these are the ones with the u shaped rear notch) in good shape for under 25 bucks used. They have always worked for me, I don't find the so called but mis named non-drop -free characteristic of the mags a big deal. I would have to be very desperate to pay more than 45 bucks for a mag. I also keep a good supply of 10 rounders around for those types of shooting (range practice, matches with 10 round mag limits) where they are useful to save wear and tear on my high caps.