close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Practice plate rack ?????

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mike g35, Sep 30, 2011.

1. mike g35

mike g35

I have 6 8inch steel plates that I use to practice plate runs with right now but they are knockovers and when I'm at the range it takes to long in between range hot/clear commands to make this a feasible way to practice. Does anyone know how to build a cheap plate rack that could be broken down and transported easily??? Is there one I could buy that fits this description??? How do you guys practice for the plates??? I have thought about just going to a cardboard mock-up. I have been practicing my time to first shot, transitions, and basic fundamentals and accuracy but I think my weakness will be my plate runs in Lexington. I have been able to keep my runs at 6 to 7 seconds and I know this will never do so I am trying to get myself into the 4-5 second range. Of course the "pros" go alot faster than that but for me a 5 second plate run would be a huge help towards the goals I have set for myself. I have shot faster runs but not with any consistency so I don't count them. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

Ehh, if you shoot the paper targets clean in say 7 second runs for 5tG and Gl'M which isnt going fast, but isn't slow either that puts you @ 42 seconds. if you average 6.xx secs on each plate run that puts you between 25 and 28 seconds for a total match time of 67 to 70 secs. Which should be a very competitive time depending on who shows up that day.

I know everyone is different, Plates have always been a good event for me, I would usually shoot the 5tG and Gl'M stages at about the same speed. If I didn't win whichever division I was shooting, it was from penalty time on the paper target stages. Never from a plate rack performance.

That being said, Plates have always been my fastest stage. Not long after I started shooting I grew tired of shooting paper targets and bowling pins. So, I built a crude plate rack. I bought some scrap metal from a local scrap yard, used cheap door hinges as the falling mechanism, built the reset arm out of threaded 3/4 pipe, and built the frame out of an oak 4x4. I used 2x4's for the legs and some rope for the reset arm. All of the wood I received for free from work. Total cost $30 and about 3 hours worth of work. it still works to this day. It is transportable? yes and no. The legs come off, so your just left with an 90" beam with the plates and reset arm mounted on it. I have moved it several times by myself, but it's not something i would want to do every time i went to the range. It definitely would not fit into a small car. I have yet to see an easily transportable plate rack. If your handy with a welder you could build one pretty cheap, and see if your range local range would let you leave it set up there.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

3. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

Or, you could just make the plates you have fixed so you you can shoot them as many times as you want while the range is hot. Also, if thats not an option, just mount paper plates in the same layout as a plate rack. At plate rack distance, you should be able to call hits for a # of runs before the plates are shot up. Just some thoughts.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  4. njl

njl

Something I've considered, but don't have the expertise to construct is a "rack" of hanging steel plates. That way, there's no need to reset, and it should be simpler.

5. ede

ede Bama's Friend

if i were going to build a plate rack i'd use plates bolted with a spring. falling plates just make you want to watch them fall. shoot and move is the best way to shoot steel. i've also considered makeing 3-4 plates on top row and 3-4 plates on bottom row amd stager the plates so you have to work on transitions more. unless i just enjoyed shooting steel that is the last place you need to practice. penalities on paper will cost you far more than your plate scores. then again anyone that practices for a match would cheat and lie too.

6. mike g35

mike g35

Thanks guys, I work at Lowes so finding someone to weld for me or even do the work for me shouldn't be too much of a problem. I was thinking about building the rack in 3 parts that I could then link together with the plates on top. The hinge idea is a good one also so I may try that as well. Now I just have to come up with a reset bar and I'm good to go.

7. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

mike, I'll try get some pictures of my reset bar tomorrow it's pretty simple, but works really well

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. mike g35

mike g35

Sounds good, thanks Alex.

9. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

Mike, my name is David. Alexd29 is just my screen name. I have commented on things on the GSSF Facebook page as well. Sorry for the confusion. I am a new shooter sort of like yourself, December 15th or so will mark the 1st Birthday for my G34, my oldest child.:supergrin:

10. SCC

SCC Member Me

YouTube has some good ones to look and they look cheap

11. BK94

BK94

Saw this design the other day, looked nice. May give some ideas?

Attached Files:

12. Melissa5

Melissa5

I was reading a different thread and ran across this by Bobby Carver. I think I might try this in the cow pasture behind my house.

Plate Training

Prepare your training plates by using plates, (paper plates) for targets. Go out and buy a 100 at the discount or grocery store for about $1.50. These plates will be about 8” in diameter. Cut the centers of the plates from the plate. These will be about 6” in diameter. Staple these centers on a 7.5” 2” x 4” or equivalent in length. Staple your first plate 6” from the edge of the 2” x 4” and then staple the remaining 5 plates 15” from center to center. Place the 2” x 4” rack onto a saw horse that is about 48” in height from the ground. Now step back 11 yards and perform the following drills, focusing upon shooting 1 shot each plate:
    1. Using a start signal, simulating the commands and cadence at a GSSF match, shoot 25 starts, shooting only the first plate, recording or being aware of your first shot. Replace the plate with a new plate. (Note: reducing your first shot .25 of a second will save you 1.0 second in a match)
    2. Now that you have completed the first shot drill, perform 10 runs, shooting ONLY plate 1 and 2. Replace the plates that have been shot with new plates.
    3. Now, using the same start method, shoot another 10 runs, shooting ONLY plates 1, 2 and 3. Replace the plates that have been shot with new plates
    4. Now, using the same start method, shoot another 10 runs, shooting ONLY plates 1, 2, 3 and 4. Replace the plates that have been shot with new plates
    5. Now, using the same start method, shoot another 10 runs, shooting ONLY plates 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Replace the plates that have been shot with new plates
    6. Now, using the same start method, shoot another 10 runs, shooting ONLY plates 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Replace the plates that have been shot with new plates

After each step, review your hits, focusing upon what you need to do to correct the next set of runs.

NOW, place full size 8” plates over the 6” plates that you have been shooting and run through a full 4 run plate match, recording your times. Be sure and use the methods you practiced, not shooting too fast but one shot for each plate.

13. mike g35

mike g35

OK I got ya, sorry bout that.

14. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

No prob, its confusing, Alexander is my last name, Alexd29 is just the screen name that i use for everything.