close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Practice ammo vs self defense ammo

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by MLittle, Mar 27, 2012.

1. MLittle

MLittle

Jun 24, 2010
    Hi Mas,

Thanks for all you contribute to this forum.....I appreciate it!

I have a question regarding practice (reloaded ammunition) vs. my selected self defense rounds. I carry a 45acp pistol and reload my own for practice. Don't know if you have time to reload, but I use 4.5 gr. Bullseye over a 230 gr. bullet (moderate loading). I can shoot these at the range very well and very accurately with my Sig P220 Carry. The problem I run into is that when I substitute my carry ammunition (230 gr. Gold Dot) my poi vs poa is quite a lot higher than my reloaded ammo so I don't shoot it nearly as accurately. The recoil is also quite a lot heavier on my carry rounds. Would you recommend I reload my practice ammo with a higher load to more closely mimic that of my carry ammo or do you think it makes a big difference?

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    Kind words appreciated.

Makes sense to run your handloads with 230 grain bullets and velocity equal to your carry Gold Dot. Not only should you get same point of aim/point of impact, but probably more important, it will accustom you to the same level of recoil.

Best of luck,
    Mas