close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Practicality of a M1 Garand?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Restless28, Feb 18, 2013.

1. I'm looking into a Garand. How hard is it to find ammo? I loved shooting my dad's.

I'm beginning to admire and desire classic rifles now, such as the Garand, Mosin, Mauser, Enfield, etc.

Is the Garand practical if ammo is scarce?

2. The M1 needs a certain powder type to function without risking damaging the parts. The work around is to use an adjustable gas plug. Hornady, Winchester, and Federal all make ammunition compatible with the M1. It's more expensive then an AR but it's a lot of fun.

3. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Get the adjustable gas plug and you don't have to worry. 30-06 ammo is available widely. There are a couple of variations of the gas plug out there.

In some ways I prefer the Garand to the M-14. Of course I started on the Garand.

4. awpk03s

awpk03s

Apr 1, 2007
    Ohio
    Surplus ammo from the CMP is still widely available (although now with a 2k round per year limit per person) for ~$.050/rd.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Get an adjustable gas plug anyway, it's cheap.

However, American Eagle brand (Federal) has M1 Garand specific load.

6. I think Winchester white box is M1 safe, but do NOT quote me on that, call them and ask. BTW surplus from CMP is .50 per round, not .050.

7. CMP ammo is good I still have around 500 rounds or so(bought 600 when I got the Garand used about 100 last year) there are a few other places that make Garand specific ammo. Right NOW I can STILL get M1 ammo if that says anything... I would also look into getting one in .308 as that round is even MORE readily available and in current use. If I ever get the parts together for a Shuffs Mini Garand its gonna be in .308...If somehow I ever "wore out" the barrel on my M1 it would get a new .308 also...

Shuffs Mini Garand:
    http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/the-mini-g/

I was thinking of getting a CMP Bolt/barrel combo and then sending that to him to do his work.

8. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    To me the only answer to shooting a caliber that costs at least 50 cents a round is to reload- not some gas plug gizmo. M1 safe reloading data has been around for over half a century - use it get 4-5 shots to a dollar instead of one or two. A no brainer to me.
    The only way to make sure you can affordably shoot as much as I do (1k plus a month) is to reload! Stocking up on components when available will keep you shooting during shortage panic buy time with no worries

9. awpk03s

awpk03s

Apr 1, 2007
    Ohio
    Ordering a Field Grade will be cheaper, unless you have the parts existing to finish off the barreled receiver.

10. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Gee I never though of such an efficient solution. Very practical to suggest that someone become a reloader, but all that reloading gear and components, learn how to reload.

Yup a much simpler solution than to buy an adjustable gas plug and waste 3 minutes replacing the stock one.

Why didn't I think of that?

Maybe because the OP didn't mention reloading, it didn't pop into my mind.

11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy

Don't knock what you do not know, it just makes you look like a troll.

Schuster's adjustable gas plug , it's a good thing.

12. probably right id assume just ask for a FG with the best barrel possible? cause much of the other stuff(stock, hardware) will be modded or replaced anyways and redone??

13. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

Sep 3, 2011
    Kansas
    Wow, you sound like me and my plans once I get a Garand.

14. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    Thanks. Now I want one of the minis with the M14 mag modification, like the display one!

15. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Save time and money, get a SOCOM 16

I have an Arlington "Tanker" conversion and it is a bit "handier " than my SOCOM because it DOESN'T have a box mag hanging down.

16. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    True, but I was thinking it would be something "unique" in a similar role. I've always wanted a SOCOM 16, though. Not a SOCOM II, but a SOCOM 16 just feels right.

17. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Sep 24, 2003
    NoVA
    Those Mini-G's are like an el Camino.

Same with the SOCOM-16...

18. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    Just curious, is 30-06 springfield considered "Garand specific"?

19. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    I was told by a very knowledgeable source that 30-06 ammo that is labeled "30-06 Springfield" is loaded to GI specs for the pressure curve and Garand safe. I have shot a lot of Remington 165gn that is so marked without problem over almost 30 years.

20. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    I love mine and it is much more accurate than some "experts" would lead you to believe. I didn't want the "II" additions either.