close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

power supply question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Maximaking, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Maximaking

Maximaking
    Expand Collapse

I've been running a celeron 2.4 with a raedeon dual head viedo card, cd burner, seperate dvd drive, and firewire card. All this has been powered by a 300 watt power supply. Today I recieved a dvd burner and tv card. soon after instalation the pc began loosing power. IT would power off all the suden with no warning. This sounds like a power supply doesn't it?

Thanks
    Todd

2. Expand Collapse

3. fastvfr

fastvfr
    Expand Collapse
    Ancient Tech

Or, the easy way:

1. Make sure it says, "Enermax", "Antec", "PC Power & Cooling" or "OCZ" on it!

2. You need a minimum of 400 watts to be sure; my sig rig has a 480w TruePower Antec in it, and it never dips below the specified ratings this PC needs, i.e. +3.3v, +5v, & +12v.

Right now MBM5 reports the rails at +3.34v, +5.03v and +12.06v. I am happy with that.

The PSU is the MOST IMPORTANT component in any PC...and, since it can utterly destroy every last circuit in your precious machine, it behooves one to buy a proven, powerful model, even if it costs $20 more.

4. NGWT

NGWT
    Expand Collapse

Yes. PC Power and Cooling awesome power supplies. I've been using them for years. That said, in a pinch I needed a power supply and bought an Antec NeoPower 480.

Just build two DualCores, one an Intel and the other an AMD. The AMD has the semi-fancy video card (6800 GT).

I had an Antec 430 in there and the box would reboot itself whenever I ran a 3DMark test.

Finally figured out it was the power, replaced the 430 with the Neo and haven't looked back.

Still, I'll probably splurge and get the PC Power PS.