close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Power outages drag on in D.C. region

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Cavalry Doc, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

2. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon
    Expand Collapse
    "Cracker"

3. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

Me too. 3 months at one point, but that was in another country. Longest here has been a day or so, but have never forgotten to keep things like solar showers, water filtration systems, tents, aid bags, flashlights, a BUNCH of batteries, 10 gallons of gas with stabilizer that gets rotated, and 3 full propane tanks, with a fourth being used. Lots of food too. Much of that is not dehydrated, to cut down initially on water needs.

4. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20
    Expand Collapse
    LongTerm-Guy

5. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

We lose it about 2 days a year on average. Had one storm a few years ago where we were out for 3 on for one out for 2 more.

NBD for me. I had a great time. Cooked in my fireplace. The storm washed up and incredible amount of seafood on to the beach if you had the chutzah to go get it. Had it been a long term thing, well lets just say "there are few enough game wardens around in the good weather".

"Country Boy can survive"

DC area without power????? Not on your freaking life.

6. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon
    Expand Collapse
    "Cracker"

If I had my preference I would choose to be without power during the winter months. I now have a generator but I bought it after our last stint without power that lasted over two weeks due to a major ice storm. I was amazed at the number of people that lost all of their refrigerated and frozen food due to lack of power when they had a natural freezer right outside their door.

7. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

Agree with winter, for obvious reasons. .....[​IMG]

I've got a Freezerator It's on wheels, and as an added trick, the upper portion is a refrigerator, that will actually heat the compartment if it approaches freezing. Which is not often a problem here :supergrin:

http://www.800hightech.com/gladiator-garageworks-freezerator-convertible-refrigerator-freezer.html

#7 Cavalry Doc, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  8. LittleLebowski

LittleLebowski
    Expand Collapse
    Urban Achiever!

9. Guss

Guss
    Expand Collapse

It's sad how spoiled people have gotten. They should live for a while in some less advanced part of the world where outages are routine.

10. Goaltender66

Goaltender66
    Expand Collapse
    NRA GoldenEagle

The issue isnt so much a lack of convenience. It hit 104 degrees today, and DC is not known for having a dry heat. Such conditions can be a real problem for some, especially the elderly.

11. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

Drink however much you need to in order to have a full bladder every 2 hours.

12. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall
    Expand Collapse
    HildabeastHater

I'm luckier than most.:banana:

During the storm my lights flickered and I had to reset my alarm clock.:yawn:

I've been only slightly inconvenienced by surprise traffic jams at places like gas stations and at McDonalds, because many businesses are closed.

A few traffic lights out caused some traffic pileups but every day more of these get fixed.

I hear horror stories from friends and neighbors, and I see many people out walking in 90 degree heat, something which used to be rare.
    I've had folks drop in at home and at work just to recharge their cellphones and sit in front of the AC (which I have cranked to the max):cold:

Glad I don't live on some eleventh floor without power.:faint:

I grew up in Floriduh, mostly without air conditioning.
    It's not so bad if you remain acclimated to it.
    We opened lots of windows in the shade.:suntan:

#12 ChuteTheMall, Jul 1, 2012
  13. Jerry

Jerry
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member

14. alexanderg23

alexanderg23
    Expand Collapse

Been through a couple of ice storms in NW AR 7-10 days without power. Having to walk a mile up hill to get to my truck to get to work and the store. Glad I have a wood burning stove and has runs on propane.

15. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454
    Expand Collapse

Cavalry Doc
    I have a generator- mainly used for camping but I can use it to power the fridge/freezer if needed. Wouldn't power A/C. But I have a pool to cool down in if needed. When I first moved where I'm at -anytime we had a storm or big blow like clockwork we'd loose power. Worse was about 9 hours. That was before pool/an generator. Now I even have the fridge in the camper as emergency backup. Unfortunately those folks back east for the most part are city folk that have no clue on how to survive! Some lessons need to be learned the hard way. Some times those lessons unfortunately may cost your life!:faint: Good old mother nature is sometime a cruel teacher.

#15 Gunnut 45/454, Jul 1, 2012
  16. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

You don't even have the backup battery un your alarm clock? Guess you won't be on any upcoming episodes of Doomsday preppers. :supergrin:

17. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

You can learn a lot from living a couple months outside. Done that several times in deserts and Bavaria. Summer and winter in both environments.

Little tip. Take a 1 liter plastic bottle with clean water in it. Pull a
    Fairly thick sock over it with the opening of the sock and bottle at the same end. Keep the sock wet. Evaporation will keep your water a about 20 degrees cooler. Makes it much easier to drink more.

#17 Cavalry Doc, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  18. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall
    Expand Collapse
    HildabeastHater

Actually, I also have a battery operated alarm clock but the clock radio's alarm goes off first.:supergrin:

19. G29Reload

G29Reload
    Expand Collapse
    Tread Lightly

Gave me an unexpected day off. Work is at a facility in Arlington.

I live in Western Loudoun. I called in my power outage the minute it happened, around 10p Fri night. It was on 9a the next morning. I was lucky, maybe because I called in so soon, and first in line.

People around the corner from me are not so lucky and have been out since then.

20. wjv

wjv
    Expand Collapse

Haven't seen any reports of looting in DC or the other affected areas. I hope that is the case. It would be nice if people actually behaved for once.

#20 wjv, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012