close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

power drain

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by RWBlue, Jul 18, 2012.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    i rermember a while back, someone mentioned a tool that allowed a person to calculate how much power is being used be a specfic device.

what device is that?

2. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    DC, I assume.

Watt's Up is one.

Doc Wattson is another.

Currently I just use the amperage measurement on my VOM.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

3. Carry16

Carry16

Sep 7, 2004
    SW Missouri
    P3 Kill-A-Watt around $30 IIRC. If you had a clamp-on ammeter you could multiply the amps x voltage and have close approximation of watts.

4. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    I am in DC area, but this one will be used half way across the country. they have been having issues with brown outs and have some UPSs, but I don't think they have been deployed optomally.

Where I am, I either have UPS and generators at work. Generator at the house I stay at some of the time. Or nothing at the Apt. I don't really need the device here.

5. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Oop, I meant "DC" as in Direct Current.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  6. Contact

Contact

May 4, 2006
    Michigan
    I've used the Kill-A-Watt meter for a while now. I love it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RGF29Q/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00"]Amazon.com: P3 International P4460 Kill A Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41nMQyqE75L.@@AMEPARAM@@41nMQyqE75L[/ame]

It lets you enter the price you pay for electricity, and you can calculate how much whatever you have running off of that outlet is costing you per day/week/month/year. And you can leave it plugged in for however long, and it will record the wattage usage so you can average out your consumption habits. For example, if you have your whole entertainment center plugged into a power strip, then plug the power strip into the killawatt and leave it plugged in for a month or so and you can determine roughly how much it costs you to watch TV, and curtail any habits of leaving the tv on while nobody is home, etc.

It's also neat for seeing how many watts are being drawn while everything is turned off.

7. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    Ahhhh, the other DC. :supergrin:

8. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Another +1 for the Kill-a-Watt. Cheap and saves guessing.