close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Power Co. as ISP ??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Skyhook, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Skyhook

Skyhook
    Expand Collapse

As if there weren't enough that I didn't already find incomprehensible in this business?! ^8

I just got off the phone with someone who claims the local power- as in house electricity- company is perhaps a new connection possibility and it will be faster by far than the phone lines.

Whew! Is this BS or whut? ;P ;R

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. biblefreak

biblefreak
    Expand Collapse

3. mcmoyer

mcmoyer
    Expand Collapse
    Got Wood??
    CLM

I wish my co-op would see the light (pun intended) and get in on this. I think the head honcho is an old timer & purist, ie - "we supply power only" and it won't happen until he goes. If I want high speed where I live it's gonna have to be satellite.

:soap:

4. Skyhook

Skyhook
    Expand Collapse

Holy cow. So what's keeping the power co.s from jumping at this? Seems like the bennies would be spread around quite nicely.

5. Glock Bob

Glock Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Snack Attack!!!

It makes sense if you think about it. Essentially EVERY residence with electricity would have the ability to connect. None of this having to be within a certain footage of the phone company for DSL, nor having to pay cable's every-increasing rates. You can already get devices to add an extra phone extension via two outlets and the wiring already in your home. Why not broadband?

6. fastvfr

fastvfr
    Expand Collapse
    Ancient Tech

Many European countries already use it.

Here's another article...

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

I saw something about a local power company just west of Indy trying this. I don't know anyone who has it, etc, so its hard telling what the speed would really be. It could definitely be an affordable way to take high speed to the boonies though.

Its definitely something to keep an eye on.

IGF

8. romotx

romotx
    Expand Collapse

TXU (Texas Utilities)has announced they will have broadband over powerlines in 3rd Qtr. 2006. I had satellite internet installed last week and its awsome compared to dialup at 28.8 kbps.