close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Powder questions and acronyms

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Pro 2A, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Pro 2A

Pro 2A

Aug 30, 2011
    There are SO many kinds of powders, I'm overwhelmed. From reading the past relevant posts I could find, it looks like Winchester's WDF powder is recommended for new reloaders like me. I'm interested in reloading for my 9mm G26/G19 for range practice on a Dillon Square Deal B. So should I start with the WDF?

Other question I didn't find answered... is there a formula or easy way to know how much powder to buy based on the number of rounds I'll be reloading? For example, how much powder would be needed for 1000 rounds? I haven't started powder shopping, so maybe this is answered on the websites that sell the powder? I would guess that it varies depending on type/brand of powder, but that's just a guess.

Last question (for this hour) :)... Is there a listing of commonly used Glock Talk acronyms and abbrieviations? In reading through some of the posts, I feel like I'm reading another language :)
    :faint:

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    WSF? or WST?

I don't know of a WDF.

They sell it usually in 1lb, 4lb, or 8lb jugs. If you can get it locally, just get 1lb and see how you like it. Because of hazmat being extra, you don't want to buy just 1lb online, it will be very expensive unless you piggyback it with a bunch of primers or something?

3. freedom790

freedom790

Aug 10, 2008
    Cheyenne, WY
    If you want to calculate your powder requirement use this equation.

Divide how much grainage of powder you use per round into 7000. That will tell you how much a one pound jug will load for you.

Example: If you use 7 grains of powder, a one pound jug will load you 1000 rounds.

4. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Wading through the festering swamp of powder choices is really pretty simple, you only have to remember three names;

BULLSEYE, UNIQUE, 2400

Spend the rest of your money on hookers and Metamucil. :whistling:

Jack

5. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas
    One more! POWER PISTOL

Works great in 9mm

6. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    and, being a new loader, I use all three of those based on opinions and questions I asked here.
    Greg

7. Metamucil , how many grains of that for a 230 FMJ in 45 ACP ? :rofl:

8. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
  9. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Yeah WDF would bea new one on me. I think you probably mean WSF. Obviosly you need a coupel of reloading manuals. A quick look would show what powders are best suited for each caliber. I prefer a medium burn rate powder that allows you to reach the vel yo uwant w/ some pressure room to spare. I like powders that fill a case at least 1/3-1/2 full, that also means medium burners. Less chance of a dbl charge & easy to spot a no charge (squib), just as bad. You have much to learn, reading a few good reloading priemrs like The ABCs of Reloading & say the Lyman #49 are still a must, even though we have the internet.

10. Pro 2A

Pro 2A

Aug 30, 2011
    Thanks for the help! Yes, I think it was WSF that was mentioned in the other thread. I DO have the ABC's of reloading, but it talks about 148 different powders! Getting a few names here helps narrow down the research :) I KNOW I have a LOT to learn! :shocked: :supergrin:

Thank-you Freedom790 for the formula! So if I'm loading 115 gr., 1 lb makes about 60 rounds. So I'd need 16.5 lbs to do 1000 rounds? That seems like a lot.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  11. gforester

gforester Motorhead

Feb 1, 2009
    Cocoa, FL
    I think you have confused bullet weight with powder charge. A 115gr. bullet is a typical 9mm projectile. A typical powder charge would likely be in the 4 to 6 grain range, depending on powder choice, of course. For 9mm I like Universal or Win231/Hodgdon HP38. I would use ~3.8-4.0 grains as a starting point with those powders. If you use Bullseye you may get by with an even smaller charge if it cycles your weapon properly. Just follow the recommended charges in your reloading book to be safe.

12. Pro 2A

Pro 2A

Aug 30, 2011
    Yes, I was confused about the grains. Thank-you! Back to reading the book!! LOL

13. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    After you try those and want suggestions for a real powder let us know. :rofl:

14. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    It's always good to get suggestions from rookies so you make all your mistakes early in your loading career. :whistling:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm out dancing and have to get back to the ladies. There's more to life than shooting... guns that is.

Jack

15. jfrey

jfrey

Apr 9, 2011
    Winchester WSF is a good powder for 9mm. I recently switched to it from Unique and like it. It meters really well through the powder despensor on my SDB. Depending on the bullet design, the 115 gr. bullet loading is between 5.0 and 5.6 gr. in the Speer #13 manual. I load 5.0 gr. under a 115 gr. Berry's plated bullet and the load really shoots well in a variety of 9mm's I run for fun.

16. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    A lot more reading, a lot.:wow:

17. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Fixed it for you.

18. Pro 2A

Pro 2A

Aug 30, 2011

Thank-you! Very helpful info

Yup! If it's like most other things I've learned, it's a process that never really stops. But everyone starts out as a beginner at some point. :) I haven't bought any supplies yet because I know I still have too much to learn. But I'm reading and learning a little more almost every day as my schedule allows. And I hope to have a better handle on it by Christmas so I can get started after the holidays.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  19. FoMoCowboy

FoMoCowboy The Regulator

Mar 22, 2011
    Rawlins, Wyoming

as Freedom790 sort of mentioned earlier, there are 7000 grains in a pound of powder.

Dont forget

BLUE DOT

For all your pistol cartridge needs!

20. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    Actually, there are 7,000 grains to a pound of anything...