close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Powder purchase question.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by davesretired1, Sep 8, 2011.

1. davesretired1

davesretired1

Sep 7, 2009
    I'm planning on ordering powder this weekend from a club I belong to, and have a need to ask for your advice. I'm looking for one powder that will serve for both casual plinking, informal competition, and lastly for SD. This will be for .45ACP, and will be loaded on a 550B. The bullets are either 200 gr SWC ( for 1911, and a G30 w/ LW barrel ), and 200 gr JHP and 230 gr FMJ for a G30. Of the powders I've used so far, both WST, and WSF have worked well ( with the jacketed bullets, I haven't loaded any lead bullets yet ). The other powder I'm considering is Unique, especially after reading some of the posts on GT. I'll be ordering 8 lbs., so that's why I'm posing this question. TIA. Dave

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Unique

If not Unique then go with Unique.

Jack

3. squirreld

squirreld

Jan 15, 2006
    US of A
    I agree.
    I ordered an 8LB keg of Unique.
    I run 9, 40, and 45 with it.

4. davesretired1

davesretired1

Sep 7, 2009
    Gee Jack, you should just come out and say what you think!!!:rofl:

5. ColoCG

ColoCG

Mar 18, 2011
    Colorado

I agree with Jack. Unique will cover all your loads in the .45 and many other calibers as well. If I could have only one powder for all pistol loads it would be Unique. There is a reason they gave it that name.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  6. dougader

dougader

Apr 17, 2004
    I just can't do one powder for everything from light plinking loads to full tilt SD loads. Unique is a great powder but it, like most other medium burning pistol calibers, doesn't burn well at lower pressures and you get more unburned powder, more soot...

I'd go with WST for the light stuff, and Unique or even Power Pistol for the heavier loads. Heck, get 2 kegs at once and save big by buying in bulk! WSF is a great powder, too...

7. cole

cole Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Unique. I use BE for .45acp lead for now, but have Unique for 9mm plated and on standby in .45acp. I tried some of the more trendy powders and came back to Unique and BE for 9mm and .45acp.

8. I despise Unique! It has to be the worst-metering powder on the market. Those frisbie-sized flakes just don't throw consistent charges.

On the other hand, I like Bullseye. :cool:

9. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Gary, some day you & Jack have to step out of the stone age & try WST. IMo, best powder for light to std vel loads in the 45acp, any bullet type. I do love me some Unique though for anything that shoots a lead bullet. It can be made to meter sort of ok, but WSF is Uniques better metering cousin. Almost identical burn rate & charge wt for most applications.

10. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    I've been using WST in the .45 the past six months -- with lead bullets -- and am very happy with it. Just bought a second bottle.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  11. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Unique.

No, it isn't the best metering powder, but I had it running in Stevie's 550B and Jack's 1050 just fine. If your load is 5.8 grains, you'll occasionally catch one that is 5.9. Big deal. You will never in a million years be able to notice the difference on paper. Theoretically there's a point where it will push you over in terms of pressure, but it's next to impossible in .45 auto if you're at normal speeds (825 - 850 fps).

...and yes, if you want to try mouse fart loads with Unique, it's going to be dirty. It will likely cost you 2 or 3 more patches to clean your gun. :upeyes::supergrin:

ETA: with all the criticism, I forgot to talk about it's finer points. Unmatched accuracy with lead, very good with jacketed and very good performance across the board from 9mm to .45 Colt and even mid-range .44 mag. :thumbsup:

12. RRTX11

RRTX11

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Texas
    Unique meters just fine in my 550 and no matter how hard I try to like another powder, I like Unique the best.

WST would be second choice, Bullseye would be third.

13. UNIQUE SMOKELESS POWDER - it's not just for Grandpa anymore

Heck you can even use it for shotshells or 223 plinking. Inexpensive, readily available, tons of load data. It is the only powder I've ever used and I've been reloading for a long, long time (well two years).

14. Unique is probably your best choice. However, if you want something that meters well, consider 231 or Bullseye, though you may lose a bit with more high velocity loads.

Two other points: Unique is not the worst metering powder ever, 700X is.

You're looking at using reloads for self defence? That's not a good idea, but as to why, that deserves it's own thread.

15. ustate

ustate NRA Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    For .45acp I've mainly used hp38/231 and AA#5 with good success. I've loaded those powders with cast, plated and FMJ and both powders have worked very well.

Before buying an 8lbs jug though I'd try a one pounder and make sure it will be something you like so that you aren't left with a bunch of powder you won't use.

16. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Unique has worked very well for me. Meters ok for me and seems to be cleaner than most commercial ammo I occasionally use. I fired a box of PMC 45 ACP yesterday and couldn't believe how filthy the muzzle got. Never happens with my hand loads with Unique.

17. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    231/HP38 and WSF. Not Unique. Unique data is all over the place. It confuses the hell out of people all the time. Alliants on line data SUCKS. Hodgon has a great on line site with data for multiple bullet styles. So to me it's not just about the powder, you want to be able to send them to a website that will actually have data they can use. Hodgon Powders are the best for that. I would buy two 4lb kegs rather then try and make one powder do everything. It's not like 8 lbs is a lot of powder. Seriously.

18. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    One of the tricks is when you buy 4 and 8 lbs. of powder also buy a one pound can. That way when you fill the hopper in the powder measure you are only dealing with a 1 lb. can instead of trying to wrangle a 4 or 8 lb. bottle. Also if you should screw up and happen to dump the wrong powder in the wrong can you only miss up about 1 lb. and not 4 or 8 lbs.

19. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
    You're a GAP lovin' freak, newport, but your CRB heart is in the right place. :patriot:

20. I'm easily confused at times but not by Unique. I can't say I've ever heard of anyone having a real problem with Unique. :dunno:

6 grains for a 230 grain FMJ - pretty easy if you ask me.