close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Powder bowl (might be a stupid question)

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by SC Tiger, Apr 12, 2012.

1. SC Tiger

SC Tiger EL GATO!

Aug 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    I have a potentially stupid question. I am working on some .357 reloads but it is a small batch. Too small to make setting up the powder dispensor worth it. What I have been doing is using the Lee pre-measured powder scoop set and weighing each charge (which I do anyway even with the dispensor) and dialing it up with a trickler. However, my powder container is now empty enough that I can't get to the bottom. Is there any special type of container I should use to pour the powder into so I can get to it?

I was thinking about something like a large shot glass but I figured I'd ask here.

2. SC Tiger

SC Tiger EL GATO!

Aug 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    That simple, huh?

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I needed to avoid.

3. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    I use a small plastic container like butter comes in. It stays on the bench, I use it for holding powder for wieghed rifle loads. My trickler is a high tech plastic spoon, way faster than any trickler.

4. ColoCG

ColoCG

Mar 18, 2011
    Colorado
    If you use that shot glass, make sure you drain the contents first. I hate to see scotch or bourbon go to waste.:whistling:

5. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

Nov 2, 2009
    Kentucky
    I actually use the plastic icing container from a package of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls. I noticed when my wife was making them once that it would be perfect.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    I cut the bottoms off of bottles, clean and DRY them and let them DRY overnight to be sure there is no moisture in them.

7. Ajax27

Ajax27

Aug 31, 2011

Haha jk, but for real I usually use a little clear glass dish like you would use on the dinner table for condiments or something like that

8. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    One advantage of using the bottom of a bottle is that you just squeeze the sides together and poor the powder back in the bottle when done. You can't do that with a bowl. A Nyquil cup works well too.

9. wrencher

wrencher

Sep 18, 2003
    minnesota
    I like little paper Dixie cups. Clean, disposable, easy to pour the powder back into the can.

10. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    Why don't you just use the trickler itself? Fill it to within 1/4 - 1/8" of the top, and dip your powder from it. That's what I've done for years. It's a no brainer...

11. ColoCG

ColoCG

Mar 18, 2011
    Colorado
    I actually use a small plastic tupperware container, works great and you can bend it to pour the excess powder back in the powder container. I also use the Lee powder scoops plus a battery operated powder trickler. Quick and accurate.

12. SC Tiger

SC Tiger EL GATO!

Aug 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    Actually that's what I did for a few rounds. I was just trying to make my process more efficient without losing quality.

Honestly, what I was looking for is warnings like "gunpowder in a steel bowl is a bad idea because it could drag against it and ignite" or something (if indeed that is the case).

13. SC Tiger

SC Tiger EL GATO!

Aug 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    But that's was going to be my "secret recipe." 1 shot of bourbon/50 rounds hopefully brings up the velocity by about 100 fps (in my mind).:rofl:

14. Glockaholic2

Glockaholic2

Feb 9, 2012
    Webster, TX
    I used a cereal bowl. Here's my concern....I use to use the Lee scoops but then eventually got a powder scale and found that some of the scoops did not come close to the published grains of powder for the recipe. Am I just being too cautious?

15. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    I'd say you are needlessly worrying about something that isn't a concern. Steel cased ammo doesn't self-ignite, and dropping powder thru a Dillon powder funnel has no ill effect.

And you might find that your trickler isn't steel, but a lighter material like heavy aluminum?

16. Ethereal Killer

Ethereal Killer

Aug 24, 2011
    if you use a cereal bowl, I would avoid eating it.

17. ColoCG

ColoCG

Mar 18, 2011
    Colorado
    You just use a scoop that throws a charge consistantly .5gr or so lighter than what you want, dump it in your scale pan, then top it off with a trickler or plastic spoon until it zero's out at your correct charge. It's quicker than starting from zero and adding powder slowly until you get your correct charge.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  18. SC Tiger

SC Tiger EL GATO!

Aug 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    Even with milk on it? :D

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

19. SC Tiger

SC Tiger EL GATO!

Aug 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    Are you making sure you got all the air pockets out of the scoop (if they are low)? Do you level off the top of the scoop (if it's high)?

I noticed the same thing yesterday. No big deal as I use them as an approximation and weigh each charge.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2