close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Posted this in GATE- Competition, but it was really about GSSF anyway

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Kobura, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Kobura

Kobura Resident Reptil

So I bought a Glock 23 gen4 for carry. I like it well enough, been shooting a Glock my whole life (since about 6, my father's duty Gen3 23), it fits my hand with the 'L' grip. I like everything about carrying it. It's comforting yes, but also comfortable, and I can get about 75% on soda cans at ...oh maybe 25 yards if I take my good time. But what I was wondering about was... the whole package, 3x13rd magazines, 4" polygonal tube, untuned innards... does this have the chance to do well in competition? I've long said "I want my life to be eat, sleep, guys, work, shoot, and someday hope work and shoot are the same thing."

Does this gun have the potential to do that? Barring my ridiculously rusty, and expensive-to-polish skills (I started shooting around 4 years old, a Mossberg 500 with its' butt unsupported and father's finger holding up the barrel, but took a general hiatus from 14 to 21 while my family scrambled itself like so many bad eggs) is it worth me getting insanely comfortable with this inside and out in a competition and super-precision sense? It's my EDC already and that's not in question, but should I just wait until I change it, or move to a different weapon?

I have my doubts about its' factory accuracy, but it's quite possible it could just be my fairly bad shake because of the crispy-as-grits trigger.

I have a unit of Fabulustre but no Dremel/rotary buffing wheel to do the famed trigger job with. I can't afford the armorer's courses...but let's say I have carnal knowledge of the innards of a Glock and the willingness to exploit them. I'm never going to sell the gun anyway I've already decided (and so did a large though entirely superficial scratch while putting in the grip/striker pin). What can I do to this gun on the cheap to improve it and keep it inside the most stringent GSSF regulations, and keep my competition as stock as possible (even if it's not a competition weapon at its' best, better > not better)?

I'm already considering myself relegated to non-Unlimited, I just can't imagine competing even with an amateur shooting from a race gun.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. SCC

SCC Member Me

Keep it all stock !!! And come out and have a good time meet new folks ..
    You will love it the 23 was the first glock that i shot at a match and to me the ammo got to be pricey to practice with and shoot at the matches so all my glocks went to 9mm well all but one a g30 for everyday carry ...

3. SCC

SCC Member Me

And welcome to gt !!!!

4. Kobura

Kobura Resident Reptil

Thank you immensely for the welcome. I've been lurking for years, on and off, but heavily since about January, and only registered the other day :)

There's an infinite amount of knowledge on these boards and I'd be tickled, honored, incredibly pleased if I could glean from and maybe, someday, contribute to it.

For instance, using the firing pin tube as a stabilizer while replacing the spring cups? Worth the entire experience already. I wonder what else lurks around these corners.

As far as "Keep it stock", I'm not averse to replacing or tuning parts for better performance. I definitely need to polish the everloving chrome out of the pin, trigger bar, and connector, drive down the sponge of the trigger pull even just for my common practice. What other sorts of things on this same magnitude are recommended?

5. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

Welcome to GT. You can learn a vast amount of knowledge on this website. As for your G23, just keep it stock like out of the box and shoot in the competitions. It will be a great gun for that. You can change the sights and still be a stock gun for GSSF. You can shoot in Am. Civilian unless you are a LEO, Military, Firefighter, EMT, Guard then you can shoot Am. Guardian. YOu can shoot all events except Sub or MSub (either Guardian or Civilian and not both). Yep, your G23 is good for the matches. I had a OD Green one once, but I quit shooting .40 is the only reason I don't have it now. But, that only preference, not quality of the gun. I would enjoy seeing you at a match.

6. Kobura

Kobura Resident Reptil

Not a Guardian qualifier, despite my best efforts. None of the official services want someone of my peculiarities, and most of them don't want anyone at all!

Sights might do okay with a swap. I've got the dot'n'U right now and it's well enough, but I read some accounts of changing it for a blank rear sight to encourage gaining a sight picture faster (something about less distraction which makes sense, their case was a 3-dot).

I'd enjoy seeing myself at a match too. I'm in the Eastern Pennsylvania region. We've got a Cabella's within an hour drive...not to be underestimated in utility.

*Edit: And thank you immensely for the welcome. You and SCC both have had a significant number of posts that I've gained something valuable from, and to be personally written to by these names I've looked up to for so long, is quite a feeling.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  7. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

Me and my wife use a Glock 22 for GSSF, I just picked up a Glock 27 for sub as well. I like to use what I carry everyday. Good luck and welcome!

8. Kobura

Kobura Resident Reptil

I was contemplating doing the 22/27 shuffle, but I figured I'd cut the middle with the 23... also the handle is better suited to my slender but very long fingers with the 'L' installed... and I'm still not sure I don't have too much finger on the trigger. Mag release is a little difficult to activate, but I attribute that to it being a fresh and stiff gun...hopefully. It's *really* tough.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

9. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

You may also use a factory "-" connector in GSSF. There is a match in Topton, PA (near Allentown) on August 20-21, 2011. The range is nice and the Range Officers are great. Just bring your pistol and 150 rounds of ammo and give it a try. Your G23 is plenty accurate in GSSF or any other competition.

Don't over-polish any parts!

10. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Almost sounds like you don't thing the G23 is up to the challenge? In the hands of an experienced shooter, that gun could turn in some seriously low and competitive times, just as it is.

For an inexperienced shooter, handling recoil might be your biggest challenge to fast times. Slower double taps if not a flinch from the blast (especially if you're shooting factory .40, ugh).

As Danny said... a '-' connector and possibly a polish job would help make the trigger slightly lighter/smoother. And other than that, practice.

But unless you're shooting a few thousand rounds a month in practice? You probably won't be in the top 10 anyway... so just go and have fun. I've been shooting between 1000-1500 a month for over two years, and while I'm often top 10 (with 4-5 third places), haven't done better than that. Even in the amateur divisions, the talent is deep.

Let YOU be your competition. Shoot one, then go and practice then find another and see if you can beat your previous score. They are a blast.

Welcome to GT!

11. Kobura

Kobura Resident Reptil

I guess 'work' and 'shoot' will never be the same thing for me then. I can't even afford to spend a hundred rounds a month right now, a thousand... I don't even know what my life would look like if I were reasonably able to devote that much to shooting. I'd love to, don't get me wrong. Just didn't work out that way for me.

What sorts of times get recorded for what events? I'd love to find a videolog of a GSSF competition but of course none exist. I've been shooting 6" circles as my standard targets for some time to try and up-train for Glock the Plates or 5-to-Glock. I really don't know anything about the competitions themselves, to be honest, but I got distances and expected targets and have been trying to train on smaller at further.

12. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

13. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

look them up for yourself on the GSSF website under match results.

Don't worry what others have done.

Just GET Yourself to Topton and TRY it.

have fun- meet some nice people.

And then look for your NEXT match.

14. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Then it all depends on what your expectations are, and are they aligned with reality? Meaning... I hope you don't think you'll be winning any performance-based awards with that amount of shooting? There's a bunch of us who practice frequently, and shoot competitively several times a month. The best one of my "group" has won a couple of guns, but one guy is an IDPA Expert, and he hasn't either. I am "virtually" an IDPA expert, I missed by .40 that ranking in my last classifier, but I routinely finish very decently amongst them. I shoot 250 rounds per week in practice, and I've been shooting 3 local competitions each month (2 USPSA and 1 IDPA). Lots of shooting on our part, with only 1 guy winning a performance gun. But we all still have a *blast* doing it.

With all that being said... there are often 200+ shooters in the Am. Civ. division, and there are only 4 or 5 who win anything based on performance (top 3, top lady, top junior, etc). That's not to say that nobody else has fun. I would like to think even the last place person would have fun.

Only reason I'm posting this thread, was in your first post above, I got the impression that you were asking if the gun will allow you to be competitive. With the shooting you're doing, I'd have to say it would be your skill level that would be holding you back, not your gun. 100 rounds per month is not enough to obtain true competition skills.

So as long as you realize with your current life situation you might not be battling it out for first place, doesn't mean you couldn't have a bang up time knocking over some plates in a competitive situation. Also meet some new friends, and MAYBE win a new gun via a random award.

OH! And don't forget to sign up for the "New Shooter" drawing, that's a separate pool from which a random gun is drawn.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  15. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Good advice Ron...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Columbia will be my first meet, and even though I'm practicing with 200+ rounds a week, I'm NOT expecting to WIN.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I'm doing it for my own satisfaction, to see how good I'm against others and to hopefully improve upon my results with every match.

and, to have FUN!!
    Greg<o:p></o:p>

16. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

see how good you are against yourself.

see how much you improve from one match to the next.

17. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Lots and Lots of "Dry Fire" with an empty gun of course can make up for a lot. Good smooth trigger control is very important.

Don

18. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

Welcome, and can I say that I really like your writing style. Look forward to reading more...

19. Kobura

Kobura Resident Reptil

Wow, quite a compliment! Thank you very much. I pride myself on the ability to put an idea forth, in words or text, and have it appeal to more than just the immediate sense of hearing, sight etc.

Don, both I and my several pistolier friends who have fired my Glock swear that the dry and loaded pulls are different. I'm not sure I believe it...but I'm leaning towards it.

The problem with competing somewhere I have no chance is it's just not in the finances. I'll probably have to sit out Topton for a ton of reasons, first foremost and arguably only... money. The worst reason there can ever be for anything. But that's how it shakes.

However, if the gun is worthy of competing should my ability be up to the task, that's all I need to know. I'll be making every one of those <100 shots/month count as much as possible!

20. SARDG

SARDG

You are depressing me, Ron. I'm up to about 2000 rounds/month (95% of it competition matches or practice for those matches) - but not all Glock centerfire - some .22 pistol, .22 rifle, and a handful of .223/5.56. I'm stuck near the cellar at Marksman in IDPA.

When I've shot, or when I look at 'regular' GSSF match results of matches of 200-600 entries, my times are (on a good day) in the top 25%, sometimes only top 1/3. I am nowhere close to third - except for the one ladies match in Reevesville where I shot a 1st, a 2nd, and a 4th.

Guess I need more practice.