close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Post Election ammo drying up fast

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by flw, Nov 8, 2012.

1. flw

flw

Apr 4, 2012
    As some expected cheap ammo is beginning to dry up at least online.

I went to my usual place online for ammo that just 10 hrs ago had plenty on hand and they were out of the range type ammo I use. I went one price level up and out again. Another level up and they had 5 cases left.

I know that the shortage will not be forever but I don't want to pay 2x's or more when I could have been proactive about it.

For those of you that bought yesterday (day after election) or early today, you got it just in time.

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    This is quite funny actually. I'm not sure what the panic buyers are expecting to happen.

3. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Prices won't double.

4. SDDL-UP

SDDL-UP

Dec 4, 2006
    Idaho
    Prices WILL double if people buy it in panic mode all the time. Don't sweat it - it will be back and in volume soon.

5. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Prices will not double.

That didn't even happen last time.

Don't feed the hysteria.

Prices will not double.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  6. jkf74

jkf74

Nov 18, 2011
    No change in my area. Ammo is plentiful at most places.

7. Radam3

Radam3

Jul 22, 2011
    MI
    Went to my lgs this morn. The clerk said his first sale of the day yesterday was $800+ in just ammo. Their stock was still good. Also stopped at meijers for range ammo (much like a Walmart for those not in this area, and cheaper) and they didn't even appear to have taken any hit... Still lots of ammo on the shelves. Also both places the prices were the same as they have been for quite some time.
    But still, why risk a shortage if one can afford to buy it up now, do so. I did.

Before you can lead, you must refuse to follow

8. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Dec 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Plenty of ammo out there at good prices http://palmettostatearmory.com/

Don't believe the hype....

Nothing has changed. Same president...you might not like him, but he's the same admin we've had since 2008.

9. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Good prices?

I don't think so Tim.

The least expensive .223, brass case, I see is $370/1k (plus shipping).

Could be worse...but that's not so hot.

10. flw

flw

Apr 4, 2012
    As of the moment the web site quoted seems to have pre-election prices but there was no (not clear to me) Inventory indicator of what is in and what is out of stock. I doubt that at 0100 hrs CST no one is manually updating the web site as items go out of stock.

For online purchases and expensive items, I do expect to know ahead of the purchase if the item is on back order or not to be restocked.

11. Kentguy

Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH
    flw,

This is the perfect example as to why you should start reloading your own (if your not already doing so).

12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Assuming you already have the components. Last time (2008/2009) primers were non-existent for months, if not a year or more.

13. berfles

berfles

Jan 22, 2012
    Whitehall, PA
    Went to Walmart yesterday, the friggin shelves looks like someone just walked up and scooped everything into a basket. It was a joke, people are morons.

14. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    My LGS an hour ago.

The sky is not falling.

[​IMG]

15. if its there, buy it, the dollar still rules in our "free for now market"

16. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    Just got off the phone with a close friend who is in the ammunition business with a propriety cartridge. He recently was looking at a sale of it due to changes in his life,he thought he had a deal all set to go.
    The fellow he had been discussing the sale with gave him a date of today to finalize the sale.
    This potential buyer is in the firearms manufacturing, parts business and was looking to take on the ammunition line in addition.

My friend called me to vent at the loss of his proposed sale. He said I can't believe that because of a election that some people go off the deep end. The manufacture told my friend he was basing his decision on the outcome of the election.
    He said to me that this firearms manufacture thinks the firearms business is not the best investment of his money at this time.

My friend was having a hard time dealing with what this manufacture thinks may happen in the near future,I tried to reassure him but I was whistling in the dark and have the same fears as most. SJ 40

17. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

Jun 23, 2008
    WA state
    Within 24 hours of the election, the administration is back out from under the radar in pushing a UN small arms treaty and urging a July 2013 signing! The Blue Hats are coming, the Blue Hats are coming!

18. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Won't happen.

19. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

You are looking at the wrong ammo. Ammo in your LGS does not count. It is already sold and in the supply chain.

To see a shortage you have to look at what ammo is in the ware house to replace what the LGS sells. Right now it does not look good.

I sold more than that amount of ammo since noon. scary thing to me is I have no more ammo coming to replace it in the next week.

20. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Did you tell us that quite awhile ago, though?