close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Possibly considering joining

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by voomie, Mar 20, 2013.

1. voomie

voomie

Sep 23, 2011
    Hi. I just turned 27 and I thinking about joining. I should give a littke background about why I thinking about joining. I graduated last May with two degrees in engineering and I can't find work related to my field and I am working 2 jobs scrubbing toilets to pay the bills. In addition to this my wife decided to leave me. I need a change in my life. I am thinking about joining and going through OCS. Do you think this would be a good idea for me? Also has anyone here had any experience going through OCS?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. ArizonaPhil

ArizonaPhil

Jul 8, 2011
    Sunny Arizona
    Sorry to hear about your struggles. I have not gone through OCS, so I can't help you there. However, I was in the military for a while. I have a lot of great memories from my time while in. I'm glad I did it. But don't be fooled, life wasn't always fun while in. But it was always interesting and challenging. And don't think you'd be done scrubbing toilets, there are a lot of toilets to be scrubbed in the military.

Hang in there. Things will turn around for you.

3. matt_lowry123

matt_lowry123

Nov 23, 2008
    owensboro KY
    You could do that, or you could try to relocate. You might even be able to get a job with the FBI or one of the big government agencies.

These are just ideas. I don't have any military experience, so I can't comment on that. I've known guys that jumped into the military after a failed marriage or just a life style change. Some love it and will most likely retire from the service. A few hated it and when they got out they didn't look back.

I hope all goes well for you.

4. oldsoldier

oldsoldier

Jun 22, 2008
    MO
    Can't hurt to check it out. The military might even help you with paying education bills if you have them. Dump the old lady because if she left you now it will only be worse when you deploy.

5. MaDeuce50

MaDeuce50

Jan 6, 2013
    Fort Drum, NY
    Joining the Army was, to this day, one of the best decisions of my life. I was tired of working dead end jobs, and struggling to get by. It built self confidence, and I am very proud to put on my uniform and serve my country every day. The Army has student loan repayment options in enlistment contracts. The Army's OCS program, in my opinion, produces some fine officers compared to most ROTC programs. The best way to find more information, that is up to date would be to visit a local recruiter.

http://www.goarmy.com/locate-a-recruiter.html

6. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor

Apr 24, 2004
    Kettering, OH
    Go EOD - so much fun! :)

Michael Bolt-On likes this.
  7. Not sure this will be seen by the OP but here goes-

I have been in the Army for 25+ years and still serving today. I was enlisted in the NHARNG for 5 years and then was commissioned in 1993. My commissioning source was ROTC.

All of that said, my first comment is, "They can't say no unless you ask." While not an OCS graduate, I did spend time, as a Captain, in an Army recruiting battalion. I was a voting board member of OCS boards. The hard part is being selected. The easy part, as long as you are committed to your goal, is completing OCS. I would offer this mindset--- someone weaker than you are it through.

Here's a dose in reality-- we are downsizing. While the Army still recruits OCS candidates, it needs less, making it much more competitive. If you don't have a strong packet, your chances of being selected are not high at all. A strong packet consists of a very good college GPA, a high physical fitness test score, strong letters of recommendation (from people who know you, not the impersonal Congressional letter of recommendation--- if the person writing your letter barely knows you, it holds no weight), and strong civic performance (do you volunteer for anything, in a club, etc).

I'll end here because I have a feeling this will never be seen.

8. steve3x

steve3x

Oct 19, 2015
    did my time yrs ago, 60 - 64 I enjoyed it very much, learned a lot , grew up
    BUT would not join under this present administration ! wait for an administration that
    supports the military .

OV1kenobi likes this.
  9. Glockworks

Glockworks Ready/Aim/Fire

With your degrees AND if you put in a hitch in the military, you are set for any government job you are qualified for. And any good company will love you too. Any thought to joining the military and becoming a RADAR/Communications/Navigational Aids technician. You will get REAL experience and again, after your hitch, there will be no stopping you.

10. OV1kenobi

OV1kenobi

Nov 19, 2008
    Muscogee Nation
    Like you, I also wore the Army uniform and enjoyed my time in service to my country.

However, I would never encourage a young man or woman of Christian faith and morals to place his or her self under the orders of a regime that is openly hostile to those beliefs.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  11. yankee6232

yankee6232

Jan 4, 2009
    SC by the Sea

I enlisted in 1975 when I was 27 (married and had a 3yr old daughter) but I had no degrees or thoughts of OCS. My MOS was 13 Bravo, cannon crewman on a 105 Howitzer. Although there isn't anything in civilian life that relates to my army MOS the time I spent was well worth it just for the health care benefits I receive now. I have a 60% military disability rating for hearing loss so all my medical and prescriptions are free, I even had an aortic valve replacement at the VA and it didn't cost me a cent.
    Take advantage of the opportunities that are offered and maybe you'll stay for 20yrs and draw a military pension and still have time to work in the private sector until retirement age and get another pension and social security.
    My time in the Army was good I spent all of it at Ft Benning, GA. At 27 you'll have an advantage over most of the 18 to 22 year olds because you've had a fair amount of real life experiences as opposed to someone just out of high school or college.
    Best of luck with your choice and getting your life back on track.

12. Radius_Retention_Systems

Radius_Retention_Systems RADIUS RETENTION SYSTEMS

Oct 2, 2015
    I went bootstrap out of UT Austin into the Air Force, went through OTS in San Antonio and stayed in the USAF as a Maintenance Officer for 6 years, I resigned as a 1st Lt with Capt bars siting on my desk had I stayed in.

It was a blast, I was young and the time flew by.

Looking back on resigning I did the right thing for me, I have enjoyed my career as an entrepreneur in several spaces and wouldn't change a thing, but I always wondered how far I may have gone, I am in my 50's now...Who knows?

I would say based soley on what you have provided, it might be a game changer for you.

And on a side note, the chicks ADORE young military officers!!!

Your wife might be regretting her decision, but you won't. Ha.

13. MooMooBoo

MooMooBoo

Jul 19, 2014
    What 2 engineering degrees do you have? And yes join up. It is fun and will set you up.

Did not.do OCS and dont believe the crap of west point ocs or rotc. All produces crap.officers and all.produce great officers.

14. Ranger pilot

Ranger pilot

Dec 12, 2015
    Ft Hood, TX
    I'll chime in. I have been in the Army since Oct96. I was enlisted (E-6p) when I went to WOCS (Warrant Officer).

First of in the Army your degrees will have little to do with your branch assignment. More on that later.

My recommendation would be to enlist. Find an MOS that is inside the branch you would like to be as on Officer. I would suggest not applying to OCS until you are at least an E-5. You will get a lot more respect from your Joes if they know you have done everything you are telling them to do. Plus working up to the rank of Sgt you will be in a good position of getting LOR from officers you know. Word to the wise. Don't tell anyone you plan on going to OCS until it is packet time. It will make your enlisted time easier.

I have seen officers with English degrees branch finance. And officers with accounting degrees in the Infantry. Aviation is one of the few branches where an engineering degree will help as they have test pilot and nasa programs that require an engineering degree.

If you are looking for a job that will give you skills the federal government and contractors want go military intelligence. Big money on the outside plus a TS clearance alone almost promises a good paying job.

15. MooMooBoo

MooMooBoo

Jul 19, 2014
    I have seen no evidence that one simply gains more respect because theyve done the job before. More often ive seen E 7s who have gone through OCS who piss off Soldiers as they cant shirk from their duties since the E 7 knows all the secrets unlike a new 2LT.

16. Ranger pilot

Ranger pilot

Dec 12, 2015
    Ft Hood, TX
    It is not a 100% rule. But the only evidence I can give is my experience with almost 20 years of service. That says it is a mostly true statement.

17. juma

juma

Jan 30, 2005
    virgina
    I graduated from OCS in '67 and was voted into the OCS hall of fame in 2005. It was tough back then and 6 months long. Its shorter now but I'm sure still tough. The mental was the more difficult part. I remember the first guys who were fired out of the rotating chain of command positions-I heard them sobbing in the latrine stalls. They'd been told they were kicked out of OCS. The next morning no one said a thing and they continued on to graduate:) Another no sh#t stresser was the weekly voting by all candidates thru ranking all other candidates. Lowest 5 guys each week were kicked out- voted off the island. One of the older guys was a green beret. He wanted to quit after 12 weeks but was coaxed to stay with it. I've heard from a current navy seal that he thought the mindf#ck in OCS was tougher than anything else he'd faced in training.

Most of the time it was madcap - I remember one guy caught sleeping under this bunk during a Sunday Morning - He had thought to have some rosary beads with him and claimed to be praying. If there was a great lesson from ocs, it was something like have a plausible excuse for doing something outside the regulations and be last in the chow line.

On the good side, I was hired for my first exec job by another OCS grad who thought it qualified as the finest training in the world!

My class has had three reunions which have been really fun. Most of my class were 19/20 years old when they graduated. 20 of 80 went on to make colonel. I think everyone was glad they went to OCS. Most were coming in from a bounce after flunking out of college or a bad marriage.

With two engineering degrees, I think you'd have little trouble getting into the Corps of Engineers which is a pretty good gig.

join the military.com forums - they have plenty of threads on ocs and more up to date info.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  18. :D