close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

possible N.E. Ohio .22 meet and greet

Discussion in 'Ohio Glockers' started by jco69, Nov 29, 2012.

1. bug

bug
    Expand Collapse

I sent a Pm to ya

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. jco69

jco69
    Expand Collapse

didn't get it

3. Rcsteffen

Rcsteffen
    Expand Collapse

Just found this thread. I'm a definite maybe. Had a great time at the last meet. Picked up an M&P 15-22 since then.

Edit: Just read through the thread. Too bad things went sour. Sounded like fun.

#83 Rcsteffen, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  4. jco69

jco69
    Expand Collapse

yeah, but Evilspringer is having one :)

5. Jake44460

Jake44460
    Expand Collapse

I'd like to introduce myself as the person who was working with John on the original event.
    I'm going to say my piece (as John all ready said his) and put this behind me.

John came to me with the idea for the shoot. I liked it and thought it would be a fun, inexpensive event for folks to participate in.
    We spit balled ideas back and forth. Once we agreed to a format, I took the idea of the event to the club (of which I'm an Officer) for approval. It was approved.

John took the bull by the horns and started collecting door prizes (which obviously he does a good job at).
    I slapped together a registration form and posted it on the club's site.
    There really wasn't much more to be done on my end until closer to the event (6 months away). I never delegated John as "my little helper" and am offended at the implication.

John obviously feels that the club should comp or give him a reduced membership.
    Our annual membership fee is a $25 initiation fee (first year member) and a $50 annual fee. Also, members are required to put in a min. of 10 work hours or pay $7.50 for any hours not worked. An incredibly cheap cost considering what the club has to offer.
    To my knowledge, the only memberships ever comped have been to local law enforcement officers.

I can only guess whether John has been a member of a club or organization. If you have, you know that the members work their tails off for the betterment of the club/organization.

I'm the SHC's club's PR Officer. We have a VERY active club with a strong membership.
    I handle the website, newsletter, advertise club events as well as try to get businesses to advertise on our site. I also volunteer to work other club (non shooting) events as well as participate in most of the shooting events, run a monthly shooting event and also have organized very successful fund raising shooting events. You could say I'm heavily vested in this club.

I'm also a Coordinator for OFCC. It's an all volunteer organization. We work behind the scenes helping to make gun rights better for law abiding Ohio gun owners.

I don't do these things for the recognition (although, a pat on the back is appreciated from time to time, right?). I do them because I'm passionate about the shooting community as a whole. If that makes me a jerk, then I'm a jerk.

I've said my piece and wish John the best of luck in his future organizational shooting endeavors.

6. jco69

jco69
    Expand Collapse

Jay,

Ill make sure i mail the (50) custom Salem Hunt Club logo chamber flags i got donated to club next week and you're welcome for the corporate sponsors i sent your way.

John

7. jco69

jco69
    Expand Collapse

Im going to quote my good buddy and leave it at that :)

8. bug

bug
    Expand Collapse

9. Jake44460

Jake44460
    Expand Collapse

To be clear, there are members besides myself who give selflessly to this club. Men and women who volunteer skills like electrical, roofing, snow plowing, painting, cooking, fund raising, making toast at our breakfast's or whatever they can possibly do for NO other reason other than they want to help the club.
    These same people pay full membership, their required work hours plus scores more.

Then, we have some folks who do ZERO work hours and happily break out the checkbook and pay off their work hours. To each his own.

In regards to John's previous event, I heard it went very well.
    I don't understand the relevance of that in this conversation however.
    If I had doubts about John's ability to help put together an event, I'd have declined my involvement and not put the club's reputation at risk.

It seems to me now (John, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that he believed that he was going to do all the work.
    I thought it was clear that, that wasn't the case.
    In fact, upon looking at our emails, I don't understand what led him to think that.

I agree in theory.

John clearly was miffed when I told him that the club wasn't going to comp or give a break on membership costs. I did tell him that his time would certainly go towards his work hours. That obviously isn't what he wanted to hear.
    That's fine. I'm not twisting anyone's arm to be where they don't want to be.

He backed out and I decided that as this event was his idea, I wasn't comfortable moving ahead with it.

We'll all move on and life will continue.

#89 Jake44460, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  10. jco69

jco69
    Expand Collapse

Jay, with the amount of hours I have in this so far, I wouldn't have to work at the club for 5 years! I don't get why you keep bringing up what other members do for the club, if I was a member, I'd volunteer to work too! that's not the point!! the club stood to get a couple hundred dollars or more because of my idea, it may have also got a couple more members because of my idea, and it still may get at least three companies that want to pay to advertise on the website because of me! I introduced people to the club that otherwise wouldn't even know about it. and for all of that you offer to take a couple work hours off? really? there wouldn't be a shoot if not for me spending up to 5 hours or more a day for the last month or more getting donations and posting the shoot on at least 5 different forums I belong to. and yes, I expected to do all the work and had no problem with it. you supplied the club, I was doing the rest.one of our first emails you suggested that some of the registration money should go to the club for letting us use it, I told you I was planning on giving ALL of it to the club! so whatever, you stick to your "other members this and that" reasoning and I'll stick to mine. I'll mail that stuff next week.

Este, I'll see you in May :)

11. Jake44460

Jake44460
    Expand Collapse

John.

I'm just trying to explain that the club simply doesn't give out memberships. It doesn't need to. We're not struggling in any way shape or form.

I wish you told me from the get go that your expectation was a membership deal. I would have clarified matter for you.

I'm sorry you feel slighted.
    If you feel the club is a place you'd not refer people to, that's too bad. I'm very proud of it's reputation.

I'm sure the event would have been successful.
    I'm sorry you have hurt feelings.

I'm letting this go now.
    Feel free to have the last word.

Regards.

12. jco69

jco69
    Expand Collapse

Jay,
    my expectations were not to get a membership out of this! i was going to join, the club is nice and figured for everything im doing FOR THE CLUB maybe a friend could hook me up! like i or any of my friends would have done in the same situation, infact if you would have said "let me see what i can do" instead of "i cant do anything about that" and "ill take some work hours off" it would still be going on! but all you keep talking about is the club doesnt just give out memberships! i didnt just walk off the street and ask you for a free membership, everything i was doing for the shoot was helping/benefitting the club!

What does any of this have to do with "the club isnt struggling" "we dont need to give out memberships"? and i dont feel slighted or "miffed" its your "club" attitude i cant believe! again, none of what i was doing was for me, it was for the shooters (my friends) and the club! im sorry you cant see past the club rule book, and as my buddy Bug said " help a brother out" if our roles were reversed, you can bet your arse if you asked for a membership, i would have gotten you one even if i had to pay it myself! people who know me will vouch for that!

thanks for the last word!

John

#92 jco69, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  13. ronin.45

ronin.45
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry to see that this fell apart(I can always use more plaques:whistling:)

I'm going to side with John on this one. If a non-member did this amount of prep for the club I run I'd have no problem giving a discounted or free membership. As you stated "we're not struggling". That is even more reason to reward volunteers. If the club could give a free membership to someone that earned it and never notice the $75 loss, why wouldn't you try?

14. jco69

jco69
    Expand Collapse

Thanks brotha :)

PS. that plaque ended up a target :whistling:

#94 jco69, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  15. pirateguy191

pirateguy191
    Expand Collapse

From the money that John is making off the stuff that was donated for the event, John can buy a membership at any club he wants. Plate rack, holsters and ?????

Seems to me some stuff was sold on OFCC last year after his Glocktalk event at A&A. Maybe some stuff on here also. I'm not saying it's necessarily wrong for him to benefit, after all he is spending alot of time on securing the donations.

I think we will all survive to shoot another day.

16. jco69

jco69
    Expand Collapse

Jeff, REALLY? you are in no way involved in any of this WHAT SO EVER! WOULD ALL OF YOU PEOPLE JUST GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON!? HOLY CRAP!

To all my GT friends, im sorry all of this OFCC crap is spilling over here! it's beyond my control. i guess will have to settle it at recess :tongueout:

John

17. pirateguy191

pirateguy191
    Expand Collapse

Are you making money off this or not?

18. jco69

jco69
    Expand Collapse

I can send you emails from sponsor(s) stating what their donations are for, the holsters i have for sale are only half of the donation, the other half WILL BE A DOOR PRIZE AT THIS EVENT AT THE NEW LOCATION!!! the emails i have from the sponsors state" i will send you 2 holsters as a donation, one for you to wear and the other you can choose how to use at the event" so before you start accusing anybody of anything, get a clue first!!

And why are you even butting in? this has nothing to do with you

19. jco69

jco69
    Expand Collapse

Though its none of your business, i dropped off a box full of donations i received to evilspringer today for his shoot. like i said, get a clue first.

20. pirateguy191

pirateguy191
    Expand Collapse

You're right. Take care brother.