close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ported 24" barrel - Mossberg 930 Turkey for HD, general SHTF & fun gun?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Z71bill, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    I have been thinking about buying a semi auto shotgun - I have always shot pump action -

I don't really like the sights on the 930SPX type gun - and have been considering a Mossberg 930 turkey gun -- it has a ported 24" barrel, pistol grip stock and looks like a solid gun.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=10&display=specs

model #85265

I have an 870 with an 18.5" barrel as my main HD shotgun - it is 38.5" - the Mossberg is 43.5" long - doesn't seem like that BIG of a difference -

Buds has them for $522 - seems like a fair price - add a extension + a new follower & spring + modified choke and I am right at $600 +/-.

I like the idea of being able to switch out the chokes -

Any experience with the 24" 930 turkey gun?

I have never shot a ported shotgun - any problem with shooting one in the dark?

Give me your $.02 worth.

2. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    No experience with a ported shotgun on GT?

3. Buds also has a Mossberg 930 combo with an 18.5" HD and a 28" vr barrels for about the same price as the camo turkey guns.

That would be my choice.

I do have a ported 28" barrel for my 500 nut don't recall shooting it in the dark.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

Feb 17, 2008
    First off, I've never fired my ported M500 barrel in the dark, but I wouldn't expect too much flash/night-blindness issue. The gas seems to be directed away from the barrel and I think that most of the propellant is burnt before the shot passes the ports anyway.

I like the versatility of being able to change chokes on my HD SG. However, now that I've been shooting various Rem-chokes patterning buck shot, I think that I might go back to a fixed IC. It's not like you're going to re-choke in the middle of an HD situation. They are nice to have though.

5. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

Jan 16, 2010
    I don't know if I would go out LOOKING for a ported barrle but if it's the gun i wanted I wouldn't have a problem at all... In fact some of the one I've liked , even the Mossbergs and tactical models , That Aimpro company, they got some ports, they look sweet.

I wouild think it would make it brighter etc. at night tho, no?

6. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Sounds fine to me. Shotguns were stopping bad guys long before people started putting tactical junk on them.