close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Pope Resigns

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by humanguerrilla, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    No need for conspiracy theories for what can be explained by human frailty. Press reports tend to imply he is losing physical and mental ability. Leaders step down when they are no longer able to lead. It would also explain his intention to hide himself from the world.

Best guess is some signs of dementia. We all die at least once, If we are lucky, it's not too soon and we are ourselves for the duration. Not everyone is lucky that way.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  2. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    So, it's not unprecedented and not done either?

Most Americans have an odd view of what a long time is. 200 years seems like an eternity here, and antiques are 20 years old. I've been in pharmacies that have been in business in the same building since the 1400's. Antiques are generally 100 or more years old.

600 years ago really isn't that long ago for a European.

3. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    I've drunk beer in pubs that old, I'm pretty sure the patrons there would also consider 600 years a long time. What's your point?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  4. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    Do any of us die more than once?

:dunno:

5. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    It's called humor. Just a little levity.

A lot of people walk around as if they have always been alive, and always will be. Sorry, not so, not for us at least. We all die at least once, try not to die of anything you can avoid.

So, does an imagined story of political drama and intrigue require more or less assumptions than just plain getting old and worn out?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  6. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Never mind. You missed it. It's not worth going back over.

7. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Time in this one case is irrelevant.

266 popes....4 including Benedict have now resigned.

There have been 43 men (44 presidents since Cleveland served nonconsecutive terms) with one resignation. One resignation in 224 years compared to 4 in the 2,000 or so for the pope.

The event is rare and frankly was partially planned. Remember, when Benedict was elected there was a lot of controversy/speculation why such an old man was chosen (he was the 5th oldest pople at the time of election at just over 78 years old).

Average age of popes at the time of election from 1503-2005 was 64.

Benedict was planned as a buffer between John Paull II and whomever the Catholic Church gets next...and if St Malachy was right?

8. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Mar 22, 2004
    Does anyone really believe the supposed prophecy of St. Malachy is legitimate?

9. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Me...no.

Anyone...I'm sure.

The Catholic Church doesn't need the help of some 900 year old prophecy to hail its decline and failure...its doing a good enough job of it on its own.

And truth be told look into the prophecy. It was declared a fraud by the catholic church in the 1500's..why? Some potential pope wanted to use it as a means to help him secure the office.

The catholic church is as corrupt as any government.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I think they need to go find a magic baby to be the pope, like they do in Tibet.

Beyond that, it's about as interesting as a change of leadership in any other organization I don't belong to.

11. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    PRK
    It amazes me that people still are.

12. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Feb 14, 2008
    Costa Mesa
    I wonder how many Roman citizens said that during the reign of Nero.

13. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
  14. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Mar 22, 2004
    If he were really worried about being arrested, he wouldn't resign. As head of state for the Vatican, he enjoys diplomatic immunity.

In fact, that's one of the reasons being advanced for why he will remain at the Vatican after retiring, so that he will continue to enjoy protection he wouldn't have elsewhere.