Glock Talk banner

Polymer and metal frames

685 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  MLittle 
#1 ·
The recent thread on Glocks blowing up got me wondering...has there been any evidence to indicate one way or the other that polymer or metal frames are more durable or more accurate?

I have Glocks...and Sigs.. Glocks offer a low entry point and simple design and construction. Sigs offer all-metal construction...mostly, but a more complex design. Does metal make a difference or are the stresses imposed by a weapon under fire borne by other areas of the weapon other than the frame?

#2 ·
Glock hit the US market in the early 1980's. AFAIK no one has actually worn out a Glock frame. There are some early G17's and G19's out there with several hundreds of thousands of rounds through them. Unless you're talking about tuned target pistols, polymer is no more or less accurate or durable than steel or alloy.

If there ever is a failure causing a KB, it isn't comming from the frame. The barrel isn't contained by the frame in any way, and there have been plenty of steel framed pistols blowing themselves up so I wouldn't worry too much.

#5 ·
The glock frame will outlast the aluminum frame common to the majority of sigs, when it comes to rounds fired, abuse, neglect, etc. The aluminum frame rails in the more complex sig are simply weaker than the steel frame rail inserts in the more advanced, thus simpler, glock design.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#6 ·
I have Glocks and Sigs (and CZ's, and S&Ws, and Colts, and Rugers, and etc.). I shoot a lot, but seriously doubt at my current rate of shooting that I will ever wear out any of my handguns. I can appreciate the simplicity and durability Glocks, but I can also appreciate the workmanship, history and accuracy of my aluminum/steel framed handguns. I love them all..... There really isn't a BEST handgun. Almost all of merits....

As others have said in past posts over the years, you will spend many times the cost of the handgun in ammunition costs during your lifetime (even if you handload), so the cost of the handgun is really not a material factor if you keep your guns and shoot them over a long period of time. Just enjoy......!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.