close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Polygonal rifle barrels

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by lomfs24, Feb 5, 2010.

1. lomfs24

lomfs24

Apr 19, 2003
    Montana
    So a couple months ago I bought a new Savage 10FCPXP in .308. I have had it a couple months so now it's time to get something new. (That's the way I roll) Probably just a barrel swap will curb the itch for a while. I want to go to some sort of 6.5mm bullet. I came across Pac-Nor barrels. They seem to be a little more expensive but they offer a polygonal twist.

Does anyone else have a polygonal twist? Are they all that and a bag of chips? Or are they a passing fad that will blow over.

I am envisioning longer barrel life, faster cleaning, etc... A lot like a glock barrel where it has been said that they can't be "shot out".

Any truth to all this anecdotal rhetoric? Or is it all a sales pitch?

2. JohnKSa

JohnKSa

Sep 8, 2000
    DFW Area, TX
    Rifle barrels don't wear out the same way that pistol barrels do. Rifle barrels typically erode at the throat which gradually degrades accuracy while pistol barrels wear a bit more evenly throughout the rifling.

I don't believe that a polygonal rifle barrel will offer much in the way of added longevity over standard rifling. It might be easier to clean and might offer slightly higher velocities in a given barrel length.