Poll- do you clean primer pockets?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by UltimateReloader, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Depends on what you mean by clean. Since rifle brass gets lubed before decapping/sizing, and then tumbled again (to remove the lube), the pockets might get cleaned a little...but I don't do any specific pocket cleaning.

In fact, I'm considering removing the decapping pin from my rifle sizing dies (I have a universal decapper in my loading tool head) so I don't have to worry about the possibility of tumbling media getting stuck in the pockets. Anyone do that? If the primers are properly seated, they shouldn't interfere with trimming on a trimmer that trims based on brass OAL, should they?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Like most, rifle rounds yes, handgun rounds no.

3. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

I'm loading 200 rounds every two weeks. 100 9mm's. 100 .45ACP's. I'm still new to reloading, but I do clean all primer pockets. Sometimes, I get a lot of residue out, so I think it's worth.

4. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

The butler absolutely refuses to clean pistol primer pockets, says it's a waste of time since the man who can hold steady enough to to tell the difference isn't born yet and his mother is dead... my butler is an uppity bastard. :fist:

Jack

5. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

He might be more understanding if you made him tumble the brass first. Your butler hasn't seen the gold color of brass for what... 30 years?

6. Tpro

Tpro On the mark

Absolutely. But with the SS media system it does all the work for me:supergrin:

7. .223 55g plinking and TAC rifle match loads no, heavier 62g and above for precision yes... uniform them as well.
    Pistol never.

8. Dogue

Dogue Trouble Maker

Pistol - No
    Rifle - Rarely

9. MtnBiker

MtnBiker NRA Member
    Millennium Member

10. Ditto.

11. Same here

12. I just do pistol and never clean the primer pocket. Haven't had an issue thus far.

13. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

pistol-no

rifle-no

when i started loading rifle the guy showing me said you had to for best accuracy, i said prove it. so we went to the range and shoot groups with both and couldn't tell the difference with his .308 or my .223

maybe a benchrest shooter needs to clean primer pockets, but not for me.

14. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

Yes........

15. Only for the bolt action rifle ammo. -Wade-

16. Not very often. I will look at them and clean as needed.

17. shotgunred

shotgunred reloading nut

What is a primer pocket?

I guess that makes me a NO!