close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Politics: Internet Sales Tax

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by IndyGunFreak, May 11, 2013.

1. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

I live in the largest city to file for bankruptcy so I kind of know how it goes. But we're just the biggest to date. Others will follow along shortly.

I live in a state with $1 trillion in debt. Problems at the Federal level just don't resonate. Yes, it seem inevitable that the economy will tank but my time horizon may not reach out that far.

The voters approved a tax increase and, wouldn't you know it, the state government suddenly became more than flush. Now we're looking at even more give-away programs. Talk about cooking the books!

And still, there's nothing I can do about it. I vote but it is lost in the millions of opposing votes.

Richard

2. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I agree with you Fred. I do take issue with some people misrepresenting it as a new tax. It's simply enforcement of an existing tax. They are desperate for the money. Its a drop in the bucket but they are desperate. I would rather see it go to the state then the fed. It will be interesting to see what else they come up with. Colorado is going to start taxing Pot. I am all for that because it doesn't effect me at all. Have at it.

Last edited: May 14, 2013

3. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

No, it won't be easy for the very reasons you stated. Even the 5 states with no sales taxes at the state level may still have a local sales tax. That's why the estimates of taxing jurisdictions varies between 5000 and 11,000.

What would be more reasonable is to just charge a statewide 'average' and call it good.

As you point out, ZIP code won't do it. In some parts of the country, the zip code may cover multiple jurisdictions.

Freak won't have to worry about it until his business with out-of-state customers exceeds $1 million. It might be awhile.

It's going to be extremely complex trying to figure out the rate. No doubt this will have to be obtained from some kind of 'service'. Perhaps via the credit card companies or some enterprising business.

What is going to be ugly is actually submitting the money to the 5 - 10 thousand jurisdictions. That's a lot of envelopes. Who's going to audit the millions of small businesses to be certain they actually submitted the money they collected?

Richard

4. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Steve, your attitude that "if it doesn't effect me, why should I care" is a large part of why we're in this situation now, both on taxes and on gun control. Unless we all put forth the effort and make sure those in office know our collective position, we are all going to pay by very slowly but deliberately being selectively defeated.

5. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

No new taxes, period. Whether stricter enforcement of a use tax, or otherwise. No government entity has ever, to my knowledge, rescinded a tax increase. They simply find more pork belly projects or give away programs to buy more votes to keep themselves in office.

6. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I think the concept of taxing Marijuana is a little different then taxing everyone through sales tax. I am fine for them taxing drug use. Tax away. Just not too much that it makes it worth avoiding paying it through other illegal means.

7. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

It may be a different product, but either way you're giving the government more money to waste away. What if the government wants to double the excise tax on your drink to be able to reduce the proposed MJ tax? Then what?

8. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

MJ is a new stream of income. It got legalized in large part so it could get taxed. I am all for it. You can't expect cities to run a deficit. Cities have to have some money coming in. Let the liberals pay some of it.

9. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

I don't think it will pass, even the libtards like ordering their vegan cookies and PETA sweaters tax free.

10. EL_NinO619

:dunno: attitudes like this is what will F us. Just like everyone laughing at CA, NY. If you don't care about those laws because they won't effect you, don't complain when they arrive at your doorstep. Remember this is a Union. I don't smoke weed anymore, and think it should be taxed, but internet sales tax should only apply if you buy in state. I don't pay tax in Oregon when I am driving threw because I am from greedy CA.

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

You guys are as bad as the media. The only tax I don't care about is pot tax. But none of you listen. That was the "it" in the example.

12. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Oh, yeah it will be a long while to reach even 10% of that figure. I don't do enough business to justify selling outside my county, let alone state.

13. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

But it already applies and has for a long time... look at your California tax laws. It clearly states that if you as a resident purchase item out of state for the purposes of use/consumption inside CA. You are obligated by law to self disclose and pay the appropriate state sales tax owed. I have a uncle whose a tax attorney in Pacifica.
    He actually advised me to ALWAYS put something down in your state tax return when I lived down there. Of course there is no income tax in WA at this time so no longer do I do it.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  14. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

And when you approach the number, just take a vacation. Everybody needs a vacation.

Richard

15. fredj338

fredj338

Wrong Steve, this is exactly what the libs want, to divide us. It's no diff than the on going gun control debate of good guns vs bad guns. Let them get a toe hold & the WILL come after something YOU like. I don't smoke, hate the cig tax. Why? Because eventually they get to something that does affect you. Google the Maryland rain tax. That is where we are all headed if we don't start putting our collective feet down. No new taxes, not a fricking penny, UNTIL the govt has cut ever wasteful program & their employees pay & benefits. Only the, after maybe a year or two showing good faith, can they come asking for more $$.
    IMO, every single tax, fee or lic increase should have to go thru a vote. Same for every pay or benefit increase. It's our money but we have little to say about how it is spent. So allowing any tax, even a tax on something I do not care about is wrong until you fix the fricking problems, & they are not, will not, so let them suffer like the rest of us.
    Reality, I can get along fine without any govt service. I can fix my own road, put out my own fires, protect myself against crime, educate my kids, etc or pay someone to do things I can not. The govt just has to get out of the way & let us do that. Every govt, from city to the Feds could be 50% smaller & you would never miss it if they made them do an honest days work as most of us have to.:dunno:

16. EL_NinO619

17. EL_NinO619

:rofl: Ya like I will ever screw myself. They will never know unless every purchase/item/firearm has to be registered, in which they want. They don't care about the "children" they care about the $$$$

By the way grab me some PMAGS :tongueout: I'm regretting not spending more money on black Friday at Cabelas. I should have left all my cloths in WA and came home with 10,000 rounds and a crate of PMAGS:faint:

18. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Your not seeing the entire picture. They legalized marijuana so that they COULD tax it. That was the entire point. You may disagree with the premise. I do not. I am not for taxes or most new taxes. In fact I can't think of a single one that I would support besides this one in even the last 10+ years. But this tax is actually needed to support the new regulations that have to be paid for to support the new industry that was created that is regulated by the new law.

19. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

The point is state sales tax is deductible under your federal return. I itemize every receipt local or internet purchase (Cabelas / amazon) that tags on WA state sales tax.

Just order PMAGS online they are getting cheap again at $18 a piece and have them shipped to me in WA. I'll take care of them for you, till you get up here. They will be well broken in :supergrin:

20. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Thats where you've bought into a bill of goods. They dont' need to be taxing MJ any more than the beer or whiskey you drink. Instead though, they have slated multiple layers of taxes (from what I've heard) at the grower, distribution and retail levels. Come on. Allow the eventual reduction in gov't expense due to less prison beds, an un-constipated legal system, less policing, etc to lower everyone's taxes.

But guess what..., even with the potential for reduction of governmental expenses, the government will NOT reduce your taxes.