close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Politics: Internet Sales Tax

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by IndyGunFreak, May 11, 2013.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Have some of you thought about how much your ammo costs is going to go up if you have to start shelling out tax, in addition to Hazmat, Shipping, etc?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

I buy primers and powder locally due to the very reasonable prices at many shops. Would cost more for any bullets I order though.

The "Marketplace Fairness Act" is anything but. It is money grab. For primers and powder you buy locally you do not have to pay shipping and hazmat on. They say how this act will make it more fair for brick an mortor stores. I know numerous local retailer stores whom supplement their retail store income by selling online out of state and out of country.

3. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

What? 8% or 10%? Who cares!

I would just be happy to find primers and powder.

Richard

4. Angry Fist

Angry Fist
    Expand Collapse
    *******!!®
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad
    2. Show Me Glockers

The Midway store is only 100 miles away. :supergrin:

5. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

It will put another nail in the coffin of the economy. SJ 40

6. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

Yup, and it makes me want to gouge my eyes out when I see republicans supporting it. Hopefully the House will reject it, but I haven't been following it lately.

7. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

5 to 10%. It wont change the way I buy stuff.

8. malakas

malakas
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

I agree with you, but without significant grassroots feedback, Boehner is primed to ram through anything he's sent that even appears "bipartisan" and even somethings that are considerably to the left. He has been getting some heat for that though, so he will likely pick an issue or three to stand firm on, but at this point I'd consider this a rubber stamp by him and the House unless they hear from us otherwise in large numbers.

A lot of the republicans are falling into the trap of looking at this as missed revenue that will magically appear out of thin air if they vote for it. That is a tough temptation to resist.

9. jcountry

jcountry
    Expand Collapse

I HATE the idea of an internet sales tax!

With brick and mortar businesses, you can at least make a semi-justification for sales tax. They benefit from the roads and local infrastructure which those taxes helped pay for.

As far as the internet, there is absolutely no justification at all for that. No state paid for any of the internet. Not one red cent. There is absolutely no reasonable justification for this kind of silly tax!

10. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

And the Internet sales tax won't really help the 'bricks and mortar' stores because if you don't have a store, well, you don't have a store.

Above, someone mentioned driving to a store 100 miles away. Call it 200 miles round trip and my truck, on a good day, gets 18 MPG. So, I need 11 gallons of gas or about $40. I can get a lot of USPS Priority Mail for $40. And if the order is over $25, Amazon will ship (what THEY sell) for free.

I buy almost everything over the Internet. I don't live in the basement but my shopping habits are similar. Whatever I want, I order. Unless it requires an FFL...

I don't want to see the tax, I really don't like the idea, but it won't make a bit of difference in my buying pattern. Or, maybe I'll buy even less locally. Just to show my displeasure. But less than almost zero is going to be hard to do.

Richard

#10 F106 Fan, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
  11. steve4102

steve4102
    Expand Collapse

It is NOT an addition internet sales tax. It is simply a way for the States to collect the due sales tax from out of State companies.

This is not new. As taxpayers were were on our Honor to record our Mail Order purchases and pay the State sales tax at tax time. Nobody did it and nobody does it. In fact most people don't even know it's required (in most States).

Years ago it would have been an accounting/bookkeeping nightmare for Mail Order companies to collect the appropriate sales tax at the time of purchase and send that tax revenue off to the individual States.

Now with the internet, computers and software, it's as simple as the push of a button. The software calculates the tax and electronically sends it to the State.

The consumer has always been required to pay sales tax on Mail order purchases, they were supposed to do it at tax time, now it's going collected at the time of purchase by the seller. Kinda takes the "cheat" out of cheaters.

Nothing new here, just keeping up with technology.

12. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

Well, I'll add my name to the list of those who do not want it, and will also let my House rep know my opinion (as I have done on every gun related issue in the last 5 years). We are already over taxed. Buying off the internet and avoiding the local sales taxes is our little "Boston" rebellion that keeps some of OUR money in OUR pockets, not in some slush fund that gets spent on useless crap to garnish favor from politician's friends.

#12 PCJim, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
  13. hogfish

hogfish
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Member

If/when I need more ammo, I'm thinking the LGSs will have started carrying more supplies and competing against each other, making prices reasonable. No 'need' to order via internet is what I'm looking forward to.

14. steve4102

steve4102
    Expand Collapse

Again!
    Not a new tax, just a way for those of you (cheaters) that do not record your Mail order and online purchases on your State tax forms to be held accountable.

The tax has always been there, paying it at the time of purchase will not only take the "cheat" out of cheaters it will give the LGS and the Brick and Mortar retailers the ability to compete without Tax Fraud getting in the way.

15. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm
    Expand Collapse
    10mm Advocate

I thought the law would make me collect MI sales tax on all sales, even Internet sales. Does it make me have to register with all 50 states to collect sales tax on their behalf? Like a customer orders from Texas, do I have to collect Texas sales tax or Michigan sales tax?

16. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

You would have to collect TX sales tax for orders shiiped to TX, and then forward that revenue to TX. Do you have time and resources for that?

17. steve4102

steve4102
    Expand Collapse

I believe so, check with your accountant.

If you are a Mich retailer selling to Mich consumers, you should be collecting that tax already, on-line, mail order or in person.

18. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

Since you are all about fairness and avoiding what you call "cheating", I'm sure you would agree that brick and morter stores should collect sales tax for sales to customers that live out of state and then forward that revenue to the relevant state.

I live about 20 miles from the SC border. If I go to SC and buy a sofa, shouldn't the furniture store collect NC sales tax and send it to NC?

19. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

The tax to be collected is the rate in effect at the specific destination. There was an article in the paper the other day that talked about the fact that there are somewhere between 7500 and 11,000 different jurisdictions (and potential rates).

Google for 'number of sales tax jurisdictions'.

I haven't followed what the Senate did but, in concept, you would charge the tax appropriate to the jurisdiction (some part of a city, not identifiable by Zip code) and forward it to the appropriate county (or the state tax board on behalf of the county).

My guess is that you will subsribe to a service that will provide the proper rate and the place to send the money.

Richard

20. steve4102

steve4102
    Expand Collapse

The resources will consist of "software updates" added to existing On-line purchasing software.

Many companies already do this. Cabala's for example, collects sales tax for mail order and on-line purchases in several States that they also have a Brick-and-Mortar retail outlet in, even though the item purchased was shipped from another State.