close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Polishing brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jerzeydevil77, Oct 2, 2011.

1. jerzeydevil77

jerzeydevil77
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I just started reloading again after a decade long hiatus. I've always just used corn cob and some Dillon rapid polish. This go round, someone gave me the used dryer sheet tip. I was surprised what a difference adding a used dryer sheet made to the sheen of my brass. So, it got me thinking, there must be more "home remedies" out there to polishing brass. What do you use?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. BK63

BK63
    Expand Collapse

This has been discussed to death in the past if you do a search. I gave up on the corn cob because of the dust. Dryer sheets did not impress me. I go to the pet store and buy crushed walnut media in the bird section. For me it polishes just as good and zero dust like corn cob. I don't add anything else to it. Been using this for many years. I should add it's very cheap in the pet store vs buying media labelled as for polishing brass.

#2 BK63, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  3. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

What I do is when I come back from the range I put the brass in one tumbler with walnut and cut up dryer sheets. The dryer sheets just help removing the crud and the media last longer.
    When I’m ready to load I then put the brass in the other tumbler with corn cob. I have no problem with dust with corn cob. I mix 50/50 mixture of mineral spirits and NU Finish car polish in a squirt bottle. I put a couple of table spoons of this in the corn cob and run the tumbler for about 5 to 10 minutes to let it mix in with the corn cob. If you don’t the media well clump up inside the case. The mineral spirits helps in removing carbon off the case that the walnut did not take off. The corn cob and NU Finish put a real nice shine on the case. It also helps I think when sizing the case.
    Walnut media cleans the brass.
    Corn cob shines the brass.
    Some people mix walnut and corncob together 50/50 and add the dryer sheets and NU Finish and mineral spirits all at the same time.
    I get the walnut media from Pet Smart. What I have found you do not want to get the stuff from Wal-Mart. Way way to dusty.
    It also helps to put the tumbler on a timer. The security timers for about 5 to 10 dollars work great.

4. sig357fan

sig357fan
    Expand Collapse

I always deprime before tumbling my brass, clean primer pockets make for easy priming with a Lee hand primer.

I use Harbor Freight fine blast media,

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-fine-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92155.html

I add used dryer sheets cut into strips and a cap full of mineral spirits and a cap full of Nu Finish car wax, let the tumbler run for 5-10 minutes before adding brass and run on a timer for 2 hours.

Brass comes out nice and clean, makes for easier priming and sizing and I’ve never had a problem with the media getting stuck in the flash hole, though I do check each piece of brass before I prime.

sig357fan

5. arodgers

arodgers
    Expand Collapse

I also run the Harbor Freight fine walnut media. I don't add anything to it and it works great. Brass comes out nice and shiny. Works a lot better than the Lyman green stuff I was using that came with my tumbler.

6. A6Gator

A6Gator
    Expand Collapse

This has probably been discussed before, but, when you get back from the range, drop your brass in a gallon of water with a cup or two of white vinegar (I buy mine in bulk from Walmart). Leave it in for two hours and then rinse. Nice shiny brass.

7. dukeguy

dukeguy
    Expand Collapse

Harbor Freight walnut + NU Finish = Shiny Brass!

8. jerzeydevil77

jerzeydevil77
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the helpful responses. I have a lot of new tricks to try!

9. Fwdftw

Fwdftw
    Expand Collapse

I just use walnut meadia and a cap full of nu finish, let it run 10 minutes before u add brass

10. RustyFN

RustyFN
    Expand Collapse

I use 50/50 pet store walnut and 14/20 corn cob. I add 1/2 cap full of Nu Finish and a paper towel cut into 8 or 10 pieces.

11. rpgman

rpgman
    Expand Collapse
    SCGLOCK

after you let it run in the tumbler, I'm using that Lyman crushed nuts media, what do you do to rinse off the cases.

I did a batch last night, and they have that red dust all over them from the media....Should I just rinse them under hot water and let dry?

thanks,
    Greg

#11 rpgman, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  12. Tpro

Tpro
    Expand Collapse
    On the mark

Seems like a lot of monkey motion to me. I bought the Stainless Steel media system. It's Much more simple than all that. It is more expensive initially, but the end result is much better, takes less time and cleans the ENTIRE case and primer pocket.

13. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

First you have to deprime all the ammo. Other than rifle I don’t care if the primer pocket gets cleaned or not. Then you have to dry the brass. I have tried different wet cleaning. No thanks. The only time I wet clean and then it’s just to get all the sand etc. off the brass after I have been shooting in the rain.

14. Tpro

Tpro
    Expand Collapse
    On the mark

Yup. But I do deprime all my brass first. I just don't like working on dirty parts, no matter what the part is. And, it is a PITA to dry the brass if you don't have compressed air. I clean my brass at the shop, so I have compressed air. That makes the whole thing much easier.

As a side note...with the relatively inexpensive compressors you can get nowadays, I don't know why more people don't have compressed air in the home garage. 110v and a 10 gallon tank (or so) and you could find a lot of uses for it. Couldn't run air tools or paint a car but most other jobs it would handle.

15. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

Yep have that also. except 220V 30 gal. tank in the garage. Air tools and spray guns.

16. bush pilot

bush pilot
    Expand Collapse

If you didn't want to invest a bunch into stainless media would you suggest a red or blue tumbler :rofl:

17. Tpro

Tpro
    Expand Collapse
    On the mark

Har-dee-har-har.

Good one. Should try late night.

For the record I started out with a Lyman tumbler because the "experts" said it was all you need, even though I said I wanted clean primer pockets. No real reason for it, just what I want.

It wan an icredible waste of time and money. I would have been ahead if I bought the right one to start with. Live and learn.

18. rockabillyrider

rockabillyrider
    Expand Collapse

Dried rice works faster and cleans better than anything else I have tried. Cheap and not so darned dusty. Give it a try you may never turn back.

19. biggun1911

biggun1911
    Expand Collapse

Are you talking about regular white rice form the grocery store?

20. rpgman

rpgman
    Expand Collapse
    SCGLOCK

how much NU Finish do you use per pound of walnut?
    Thanks,
    Greg