close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Polished Feedramp

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by *Sheepdog*, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Anyone polished their feedramp to a mirror finish, and if so, did it make any noticeable difference? Im considering doing this to my G30. Ive never had any issues with this gun, but since its my carry gun, I try to do everything possible to ensure "perfection".

2. kamonjj

kamonjj

Sep 7, 2010
    Norfolk, VA
    Never on a glock, only on a 1911

3. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    Only on a Lone Wolf replacement barrel,yes it did improve feeding on that particular barrel. The feed ramp on the LW barrel you could see and feel the machining marks on the ramp.
    Have never had a factory barrel that I even thought needed or would benefit from it,although I supposed it's possible. SJ 40

4. Sounds like you've already got perfection, so I wouldn't mess with it if I were you.

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Is your feed ramp currently causing problems? I've never seen a Glock with feed ramp problems, but I've see a few and read about MANY here with problems caused by amateur "improvements" - usually involving polishing.

Don't do it.

6. thedave8

thedave8

Apr 20, 2009
    my 19 feed/ramp is almost mirror......very slick.....you can ride the slide all the way up while chambering a round, not letting go til its fully into battery.....is like Butter smooth!

7. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    If the feed ramp could in some way affect the round going into the chamber you would see something on the ramp.

Polishing a normal ramp is something that a gunsmith does because you ask for it or they suggest to earn some money.

If someone is going to disagree with this; please explain how a normal (not defective in some way) feed ramp can prevent a round from being chambered.

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I've never seen a Glock factory barrel that required polishing to function properly. On a Glock, polishing is cosmetic, not functional.

9. scosgt

scosgt

May 25, 2011
    Polishing will never hurt, as long as all you use is a felt wheel with jewelers rouge. The mistake is changing the shape or contour. I did the ramp on my G30sf. There are a number of threads about doing it on certain models.
    On the G30 the mag is so tight with 10 rounds that anything that reduces friction on the way in is a good thing, as you may not get full slide velocity all the time.

10. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    The question is: Does it help with anything.

How does polishing the ramp surface, that does not come in contact with the mag affect what you are describing?

11. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Mar 9, 2009
    Vermont
    I'm polishing my feed ramp.......

one round at a time! :cool:

12. scosgt

scosgt

May 25, 2011
    It does not have to do with contact with the mag: it is all about contact with the bullet. The bullet will contact the feed ramp at some point on it's trip into the chamber, and any roughness or a burr will impede that process and potentially result in a FTF. Glocks are pretty darn good since they were designed to feed JHP rounds, other guns need a lot of help.

13. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    any roughness or a burr

Any? Or roughness or burr out of normal specifications?

Polishing a normal feed ramp does nothing and we should stop encouraging new Glock owners from wasting their time and money on doing it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  14. scosgt

scosgt

May 25, 2011
    I actually only did it on my G30sf:
    I had two 9th round FTF on the first two mags on the new gun.
    So I did it as a precaution. No further issues.

15. adaman04

adaman04

Feb 1, 2004
    MO
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1911s and Kel-Tecs are the guns I have seen an advantage here. Not Glocks. I'd pass and just shoot it.

16. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

This.

17. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Jan 12, 2012
    ^^^ This

18. thedave8

thedave8

Apr 20, 2009
    kinda like porting and polishing cylinder heads on an engine.....necessary....no
    improve efficiency/less resistance....sure it could...
    overdue it, remove too much....can hurt more than help in both examples...
    everyone knows metal has microscopic pores and any polishing reduces friction/smoothes pores...
    to each their own, but to say it does nothing is just silly.....lol

19. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    Of course, that doesn't mean that polishing a normal feed ramp helps the Glock's operation.

Of course it does, it puts money in the economy - gunsmiths and Dremel. But, nothing for the operation of the gun.

20. Tarowah

Tarowah

Mar 2, 2009
    Greensboro, NC
    Others have pretty much covered it, if you want to tinker and try to fix something look for a basket case firearm on a local gun forum and have at it.