close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Polished and lightly stoned, and now problems. . .

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Hantra, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Hantra

Hantra Keeps It Real

Sep 9, 2001
    NC
    So I stoned my trigger bar and connector, and polished them up just like the guy in the AGI video showed me. Problem is, now my gun doesn't want to go back into battery fully.

When I shoot it, everything seems fine, and when I slingshot the slide to chamber a round it's okay. But when I ride the slide forward, or don't let it go with full force, it seems to hesitate about 3-4mm from home.

Any possible idea why this happens?

2. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Sep 4, 2004
    Suriname
    You:
    "Doctor, it hurts when I knock on my left kneecap with my fist".

Doc:
    "Stop doing that, then."

3. Hantra

Hantra Keeps It Real

Sep 9, 2001
    NC
    :rofl:

I know. It's just that it wasn't doing it before, and it concerns me enough to not want to carry it b/c I don't know what's going on.

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Very strange,...... Replace the trigger bar assy.
    Do not use a stone on the trigger bar, Flitz or Mothers only with
    light pressure for the 25 cent trigger job.

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I'm not a gunsmith, but I watched a DVD and...

Now I have problems and I don't know the cause or solution.

Duh.:upeyes:

I'm also 327th Glocktalker to post about how my gun won't work after I did some home gunsmithing on it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  6. Hantra

Hantra Keeps It Real

Sep 9, 2001
    NC
    Thanks.

7. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Oct 16, 2007
  8. Black&TAN

Black&TAN Senior Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Cleveland, OH
    Years ago I watched a portion of an AGI video regarding 1911 maintenance. I turned it off after the smith hosed the parts in Simple Green and tossed them into a tub of water...

Point is, you're only going to see one approach that may or may not be properly communicated on video, regardless of said credentials.

If you're not comfortable doing the work after you've gleaned enough reputable knowledge from various sources, get help from someone with hands on experience.

That said, I would also recommend replacing with OEM parts. Although it's beyond the scope of what a factory armorer will take on, faawrenchbndr's suggestion will get you moving in the right direction.

sent via Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Yeah, because what you posted wasn't deserving of criticism.:rofl:

10. Hantra

Hantra Keeps It Real

Sep 9, 2001
    NC
    You win 2 more Internet points. Keep up the hard work. :yourock:

11. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    Arkansas
    Here's your sign....

12. Krav Maglock

Krav Maglock

Feb 20, 2011
    Usually caused by connector issue. Check to make sure the connector is seated all the way in the Trigger Mechanism housing. Then with a piece of paper .003" (standard paper) check the connectors tension. How you do this is slide the paper between the connector and the housing you should be able to feel a slight drag on the paper if the tension is correct. If not remove the connector install it upside down and bend it in the direction you need it to go.

Certified Glock Armorer

13. T. R. Graham

T. R. Graham The Glocksmith

Sep 12, 2001
    Texas
    I strongly agree, sounds more like the connector dragging on the slide race.

BTW - for the rest of you, stoning the lockwork has no effect on the slide going into battery, and simply Flitzing a contact point does nothing to remove a rough surface.

Hantra, if you have any questions please PM me - I'm "the guy in the AGI video".

14. guns54

guns54 toni

Aug 10, 2008
    Ohio
    You should not be riding the slide,And I did the paper thing and theres know drag on ang of my glocks. None of them rib any were, And they all run good. So what am i missing, Can some one post a picture of were your geting the drag, My be iam not doing the paper right. I know that TR knows what he talking about. But i get know drag? P.S. I need a picture please. Thank you. Have a safe day.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  15. cciman

cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I would suggest that this was doing it before and you did not notice it.

Probably not functionally important, other than when you press check for a loaded round. Even in those situations, one can carefully simulate a FTRB with too gentle a slide manipulation, and make the slide hang if you ride it slow enough.

In real life, the slide should not move gently in any direction, so you are artificially creating a problem in search of a solution. Which I think others have alluded to: you are over anal-yzing the situation, and seeing a problem where one does not exist.

16. guns54

guns54 toni

Aug 10, 2008
    Ohio
    Thank you for posting, I Have no drag on any of my guns, When he said do the paper thing,I was lost.The only time i ride the slide is when iam checking the Recoil sping. Have a safe night.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  17. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    Virginia
    if it works don't screw with it.

or as Bren stated

I improved it until it did not work.

18. So.... lemme see if I've got this straight. You got you polished your knob, you're slightly stoned, and you have what kind of a problem? I don't get it. :innocent:

19. owl6roll

owl6roll

Sep 9, 2004
    ALABAMA
    Glocks work just fine the way they come from the factory.

20. randyr5

randyr5

Apr 16, 2009
    Michigan
    I've seen that Dunlap guy on the AGI videos absolutely butcher some parts.