close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Police officer accidentally shoots himself in stomach

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by jdavionic, Jul 2, 2012.

1. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
  2. Seems the dept. has full-time officers, including the chief; five part-time officers and 15 reserve officers.

There is a hint there...

What was he doing, looking down the barrel to see if it was loaded and scratching his navel with the muzzle?

Deaf

3. Billua

Billua Lake Mead Explr

Sep 30, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
  4. Misty02

Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Florida
    I’m trying to visualize it and can’t picture it either. What can you possibly be checking with the muzzle aimed at your stomach? I guess he had a full grip, finger on the trigger and muzzle aimed at the stomach? That is a very awkward position for the wrist.

5. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

Actually, handling guns on a daily basis, can be one of the most dangerous things to do as far as forgetting to respect them.

6. jph02

jph02

Jun 10, 2012
    Michigan
    There's a conspiracy of silence here:
    "no information was available"...
    Chief "had a scheduled day off Tuesday"...
    City Manager "did not return telephone calls."

And there's no update that I found on the web, so still no identity or more details.

Here's the real hint, though: "accidentally shooting himself in the stomach while checking his departmental handgun." Reserves provide their own weapon, so the officer was one of the certified police officers. :tongueout:

7. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    "when it went off" makes it sound as if the firearm magically discharged itself. Let's not forget that the gun went off because someone pulled the trigger. I'll bet that it was a Glock.

8. ranger1968

ranger1968

Mar 23, 2009
    I wonder if open carry would have prevented this?:whistling:

9. zbusdriver

zbusdriver

Jul 21, 2006
    se michigan
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. Billua

Billua Lake Mead Explr

Sep 30, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    It must not have been a 10mm otherwise he would have been blown into two pieces and his house would have been leveled!

:supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

11. MississipVol

MississipVol

Apr 13, 2012
    The article said it was a minor wound. My guess is he thought he had it pointed downward and was going to try and check the chamber but carelessness and a big protruding belly got in the way!

12. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    Agreed. People just get complacent. I have a good friend, who is an older gentleman. He's got so many firearms that he's lost count (collector). He's been carrying longer than anyone that I know.

He went down to the garage to clean his carry gun, and then bang...he accidentally shot himself in the hand. After several surgeries on his hand, he still doesn't have all mobility back. However he is able to do what he loves...shoot.

Many people read these stories and conclude 'what an idiot' or something of the like. If posting accidents helps remind them of the rules and they never have an accident, I'm fine with that. However...me, I think it can happen to the best of us.

Who knows how this guy shot himself in the stomach? Perhaps the gun was falling and he caught & got a finger on the trigger.

13. Misty02

Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Florida
    I agree with you both. I also pray I never reach that level of confidence some seem to have that I stop all my “ridiculous” precautions to prevent an unintended occurrence.

14. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    I vote for press check that went awry.

Thanks God it sounds like a minor wound. Glad its only his pride that was damaged severely.

Randy

15. Danl Boone

Danl Boone

Apr 21, 2012
    Kansas City
    Me too!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

16. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Yup, trying to catch it. Another likely contender for how it happened.

I think that theory is more likely than mine, actually.

Randy

17. J_P

J_P

Jun 25, 2010
    Texas
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

18. TDC20

TDC20

Apr 11, 2011
    Thanks for this post jdavionic. I've been criticized for treating safe handling rules as "religious dogma", but that will never deter me. I have a brother and friend who are both alive today because rule #1 was followed and an ND didn't kill either one (it was a negligent discharge because several other safety rules were NOT followed). Complacency is the enemy of safe firearms handling. Don't think it can't happen to you, or it surely will eventually.

Never let the muzzle point in a direction of anything you don't intend to shoot...EVER. But especially when the action is closed (could be loaded, maybe not?), you are clearing the weapon, you are loading the weapon (chambering a round), you are engaging or disengaging a safety, or you are handling a known loaded weapon in any manner. I never tolerate muzzle sweeping from another firearms handler. If they refuse to comply with the #1 safety rule, I'll leave while I still can. Everything else can go wrong, either by accident or negligence, or mechanical malfunction, but if rule #1 is followed, it should only involve a change of pants and a hearing aid later in life.

It's a very fine line between paranoia and healthy respect for firearms. I've gotten to the point when I chamber a round in my carry gun in the house, I'm thinking, if it discharges, where will the ricochet go off the concrete? Or where should I be pointing to minimize how much work it will take to patch the hole?

19. oily_oink

oily_oink ###########

Jun 23, 2006
    Metro. Detroit
    I wonder? :whistling:

20. Might be right there! And I bet he thought it was 'unloaded' and to dissemble a Glock you have to, yep, pull the trigger.

Deaf