close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Police harassment or trolling for attention or both?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by jdavionic, Mar 20, 2012.

1. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
  2. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    IMO, the OC person was seeking the attention in the initial encounter. The subsequent encounter seemed like the police making an effort to make him uncomfortable. So I say both.

3. Mister_Beefy

Mister_Beefy Legal & Proper

Apr 19, 2011
    the guy in the video has second amendment rights, the police just needed to make sure he had their permission to exercise them.

just another day on the job. :rofl:

4. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    Twice? I can understand the first time. But the second time after he had already been checked?

5. kensteele

kensteele

Aug 3, 2003
    Leawood, KS
    I dunno, people need to learn to stop talking so much I guess.

6. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild

Dec 26, 2011
    These videos are f-ing annoying. Give them you're g-dang ID and be done with it instead of being a know it all lawyer wannabe.

Please.

7. AKmik

AKmik

Mar 13, 2012
    :steamed:

These videos kill me. I am no sure what would make any gun owner want to go out and bait the cops. Like it or not in todays day and age when an officer sees a weapon on someone not wearing a uniform he is probably going to investigate,that is a proven fact. every one of these videos is the same, some smug little smart ass proving that he has the right to carry, thats great.
    The thing that burns me up is the attitude they take in trying to get a reaction out of LE so he can somehow prove that his rights are being violated. There is no winning that one, if the cop asks for ID he is wrong and abusing his power. If the guy strolling down the crowded pier full of sheeple pulls his gun and starts shooting and the cops did not challange the gunslinger, then they are wrong for letting it happen. Its easily twisted and can be argued forever.

This is not the old west, he is in FL where CCW licenses are very easy to obtain. The guy is a tool who is wasting the officers time, distracting him from his job. No one needs to know you are armed.

I have been carrying concealed for twenty years, five of which were in FL, and I have never had any issues with law enforcement trying to infringe on my second amendment right to bear arms.

The video proves Officer McGee was paying attention, if my family was out on the pier that day I'd be glad he checked that guys ID and varified he is legal.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  8. beatcop

beatcop

Aug 13, 2003
    New England
    cop baiting.

As an aside, the mere smoking of that rolled up dog turd would be enough for me

9. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    I agree with respect to the first encounter. The guy appears to be trolling for attention...and got it.

But what about the second encounter?

10. acg8276

acg8276

Jan 18, 2012
    SE Pa.
    Unfortunately there is a website that has a devoted following of such knuckleheads. They get some kind of enjoyment out of being straw lawyers and going after not only LEO's but townships as well. They secretly tape record and/or video their preplanned encounters to get some kind of feeling of self worth or satisfaction.

While I agree we need to protect our rights as gun owners, the tact they use is a detriment to us all. They act like a bunch of nut jobs for the most part. Giving the rest of us a bad name.

11. beatcop

beatcop

Aug 13, 2003
    New England
    Not sure if it was a recon to put eyes on the guy in the event of nonsense or otherwise. More than likely the Sgt prob said, "show me this guy" and was taken to him.

Either way, it falls under "he got the attention he was looking for". I don't live there, but my opinion is that it appeared minimally intrusive. Guys like that have a zero tolerance policy for any LE investigation, but will criticize LE if they don't stop a guy with a TV on his back.

12. slickt0mmy

slickt0mmy

Jan 17, 2011
    Ohio
    This is my opinion as well. I'm all for the right to open carry and if that's what you want to do, more power to you. But purposely baiting the police is what really irks me about these guys. There's exercising your rights, and then there's being a smart ass punk. This guy was both.

13. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    The vid poster wanted to get some content to post. The officer wanted to check his ID and make sure the guy wasn't doing anything goofy out on the pier. Nothing to fuss about from either perspective as far as I could see.

I will note that neither officer was wearing his hat. So that does bring the entire interaction into question from a legal standpoint. :whistling:

14. Shark1007

Shark1007

Jul 17, 2011
    orlando
    Youthful zeal and arrogance. I wonder how the video would have turned out if some father saw the gun on the pier near his kids, freaked and beat the kid down with a folding chair. The kid would have reached for the gun, Dad would have beat him harder.

Hope he has to call the officer he harassed for real help some day.

Just asking for trouble and making gun toters look like pinheads.

15. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Idiot. They've always existed, procreated even. Now they have youtube. Or as I like to call it, the Darwin channel.

16. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX AZ
    Good god. I'm so thankful I live in ARIZONA where I don't have to worry about people like all of you. I OC nearly every day and have never been harassed or labeled a zealot. Such a different mentality out here.

17. Shark1007

Shark1007

Jul 17, 2011
    orlando
    We're thankful you're happy in Arizona too. You see, here in Florida, we are pretty populated and some smirking kid with a gun, brandishing a video camera, giving cops a hassle just doesn't seem wise, or safe with our "stand your ground law"

It just seemed dangerous and irresponsible. I'm an ex LEO and sympathize with officers these days, they have so much going on with gangbangers, officer involved shootings, budget issues, they don't need these cute little showoffs messing with them.

Obviously it caused a scene, I can assure you people fishing with their kids wouldn't say "he's exercising his right to bear arms" they would likely wonder what the kid was doing in public with a gun, that just scares folks these days when shooting occur so frequently. Better hope a legit CCW holder doesn't draw down on him.

Back in my day, my Dad would have challenged the kid and if he got a smart ass response, whipped his ass and maybe have thrown him over the pier.

18. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    It seems as though open carry works much better in some areas than in others. For instance, it seems to attract less attention in some rural areas and more in some urban areas. And specifically to this case, it might attract less attention if someone was fishing in a desolate remote area in Florida than on an urban (suburban?) pier.

19. DannyII

DannyII

Jul 25, 2011
    Ohio
    This velcro wallet carrying punk is a class A jerk. He gives pro-ccw folks a bad name, and does more harm than good.