close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pocket holster for cuffs?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by rockapede, Oct 2, 2012.

1. rockapede

rockapede
    Expand Collapse

I'm trying to reduce the amount of stuff on my duty belt. My work pants have cargo pockets and I'd like to stash my second pair of cuffs in my right pocket. A quick googling shows a couple of options but nothing (so far) that's particularly appealing. I'd love to find something like the Desantis Nemesis with the rubberized outside and wide base but as near as I can tell they don't make one.

Any ideas?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Intelligencer

Intelligencer
    Expand Collapse

I often carry my hinged S&W cuffs loose in a pocket. Go Hinged!

3. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

How about just using a nemesis built for a gun? Certainly something is about the right size. I suspect that my J-frame one would fit a pair of cuffs well enough. Or carry them loose.

4. rockapede

rockapede
    Expand Collapse

I've thought about that and may end up doing so, but if there's a way to keep them upright and quiet I'd like to find it. Hinged cuffs aren't my cup of tea, but I may have to give them another shot.

5. Ajon412

Ajon412
    Expand Collapse

6. rockapede

rockapede
    Expand Collapse

That may be the ticket. Is that rubberizing on the outside? It's hard to tell from the description.

The suggestion above about using a nemesis for a gun is a good one too. I'm a little slow and hadn't even thought about that possibility.

7. Ajon412

Ajon412
    Expand Collapse

Yes, it has a strip of an adhesive type material on the exterior. I have several Mika Pocket Holsters and haven't had an issue with the holster leaving my pocket unless I want it to...

Take a look at this from 5.11

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Pouches/Cuff-Pouch.html

#7 Ajon412, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  8. Cochese

Cochese
    Expand Collapse
    Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

9. blueiron

blueiron
    Expand Collapse

Have you tried running with them in your pocket? Have you tried deploying them on an active resister from the cargo pockets?

Running with them there is an annoyance. Deploying them during a fight is impractical unless you have one in each pocket and that makes running even more annoying.

Our DT folks conducted the experiments years ago and recommended against the practice.

10. rockapede

rockapede
    Expand Collapse

I run with a gun in the other pocket just fine and it's substantially heavier than cuffs. Our pants are 5.11 TDUs and the velcro on the pockets holds well. I'm not taking both pairs off of the belt exactly for the other reasons you mentioned. I personally have never had to deploy my spare set in a real hurry and the pair on my belt will still get primary use.

11. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

Now that I'm back up, I put a pair of hinged cuffs (all that I had handy since the bat belt is in my locker) in my J-frame Nemesis.

[​IMG]

Excellent fit.

12. razdog76

razdog76
    Expand Collapse
    Heavy Mettle

I carry a pair of chain cuffs in my weak side front pocket. They do not rotate around at all, and are easy to discretely draw.

13. Cochese

Cochese
    Expand Collapse
    Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

Just ordered one. I'm going to an external carrier soon and my current velcro to the undervest won't work anymore.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. rockapede

rockapede
    Expand Collapse

Nice! Methinks I'll place an order. I've been wanting a decent pocket holster for my J-frame anyway but haven't gotten around to it b/c I carry my Nano as a backup on duty. For now, hooking a pair over the otherwise useless strap on my 5.11 pant right rear pocket and tucking them in the pocket is working pretty well.

#14 rockapede, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  15. Cochese

Cochese
    Expand Collapse
    Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

Wow!

Mr. Mika called me within 30 minutes to confirm my order and explain his product. I'm very impressed with his customer service thus far and am looking forward to receiving it!

I like Brads idea as well. May need one of those too. :)

16. rudeboy3

rudeboy3
    Expand Collapse

Ya I pulled off my double cuff carrier and now use a single open top up front, and I got this older suede Safariland cuff pocket holster which I use with the second pair. Of course that is changing once my external gets done (they said another 6 weeks :crying:)

17. gsp174

gsp174
    Expand Collapse

My cuffs would burn a hole in any pants known to man. This is due to the shear amount of usage.... just to darn hot. I have had to start using oven mitts as patrol gloves because it was getting expensive replaceing all my black leather gloves. The last place I need them is in my pocket, if you know what I mean.:whistling:

18. Ajon412

Ajon412
    Expand Collapse

Yea, his customer service is top notch and I've never had a problem with any of his products.......

19. Cochese

Cochese
    Expand Collapse
    Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

I got it in from Mika.

Excellent quality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. ChrisYZFR1

ChrisYZFR1
    Expand Collapse

I keep a spare set in my rear pocket. No issues and easy to deploy when needed. Not really wanting to mess with a pocket holster or get beat in the knees with hand cuffs if I run with them in the cargo pocket.