Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Pocket carry: strong hand or weak hand?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Metal Angel, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    I have decided that my next firearm purchase will be a pocket gun. I haven't decided what to get yet, but I know it has to fit in my pocket. The purpose of this firearm will be, as Nutnfancy calls it, "super carry". Meaning it will never leave my person from the time I wake til the time I sleep. I'm right handed, so my right pocket seems natural, but I plan to still carry my Glock 19 IWB right side as often as I can, and still have my "super carry" on me. So if I have my 19 on the right, it makes sense to have the pocket gun on the left... Right? Or is it just a better idea to always carry strong side since weak hands can be so awkward (Espesially under stress). Also, I don't want to pe switching pockets depending on if I am carrying my 19 or not, and having a gun only weak side feels awkward to me...
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  2. dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    I have been carrying my LCP in my left back pocket even though I'm right handed. Wallet is in the right pocket. You will ahve to experiment to see what you like. Honestly I don't really like pocket carry so I'm going to pick up a little holster or something to get the gun out of my pocket.

3. ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    If it's a secondary carry gun, left hand makes sense.

If it's your primary, strong side only.

If you choose to carry on your weak side, make sure you get plenty of practice with that hand.
  4. 4 glocks

4 glocks

Jun 29, 2010
    If it's you only gun I would carry it strong hand. If it's your 2nd gun I would carry it weak hand.
  5. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    I find it difficult to draw a pistol from my strong side with a primary gun on my belt.

If its carried as a BUG then left pocket makes sense, if its your primary then strong side only.

BTW the jframe Smiths are a great BUG/pocket gun.
  6. Creatism

Dec 25, 2011
    I carry a pf9 virtually all the time. If its a bug (original purpose) weak hand front pocket in place of a spare mag, if it's my primary, 2days a week, strong side front pocket.
    When it's a bug I'm carrying my 36 strong side Iwb, if I'm carrying both it's to awkward to have them both on the same side.
    Contemplating leaving it weak side even if it's my primary for continuity of training.

Typed from my iPhone with my thumbs!!
  7. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    I am seriously considering a Smith 642 for this role :)

It seems like you and everyone else are recommending switching which pocket it is in depending on whether it is the only firearm on me, or a BUG. Do you think that inconsistency would be a problem? Maybe not... I used to switch my Glock 19 back and forth between IWB and shoulder rig... Never felt like it would confuse me if I needed it.
  8. Reswob

Mar 8, 2009
    Depends. Go to the range and practice shooting the gun in question weak hand only. Depending on your level of "ambidexterity" (yeah, I think I just made that up), it could take several hundred rounds to get proficient, or you could never get on paper with it.
  9. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    I carry the 442 as a BUG/discreet carry. I carry mine on my ankle as a BUG when on duty, and on my belt or strong side pocket as a primary so I cant answer for switching pockets.

The key is to practice shooting it from how you are going to carry it. Too many people practice with their carry guns by picking them up off the shooting table.
  10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Must be dangerous where you live. I was once a cop living in the middle of a housing project where I had arrested many of my neighbors and, even then, I didn't feel the need to have a gun on my body 24/7.

Some of you guys seem to be living out an "I'm James Bond" fantasy.
  11. SouthpawG26

Sep 4, 2004
    Personally, i would carry a backup gun stronghand as well. You might even consider crossdraw for this.

Wearing it for the weak hand infers that you envision the main reason for needing the backup to be incapacitation of the strong hand.

I doubt this.

To me the likelyhood of a stoppage not resolved through tap/rap/bang, or loss of the primary firearm, seems somewhat bigger than planning for stronghand incapacitation.
  12. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Dec 27, 2011
    Primary - strong. Back up - weak.
  13. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

Jun 23, 2006
    I'd go with strong hand side, all the time. It'll always be in the same place should you need it. If you have the G19 on you, you'll go for it first. If not, go for the pocket gun, which should be strong side every time. I wouldn't be switching back and forth depending on whether you're carrying the G19 or not.
  14. DeLo

Nov 10, 2011

But really the 442/642 is a great BUG.
  15. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    I'm not really worried about something happening to my strong hand- though options are good. I'm more worried about weighing down one side of my pants. Although, as I said before, I'm thing about a 642 for this role and they don't weigh much, so maybe I won't worry about it. I'll probably get both holsters and just experiment until I like my system.
  16. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Mar 19, 2010
    I carry firearms on my strong side and extra ammo on the weak, period. I move my knife to the weak side when I pocket carry a bug.

If my strong arm ever has an injury, I will hopefully already have my weapon drawn. I don't want to be carrying my weapon on the weak side and have to defend a knife, ball bat, punch being thrown, whatever, with my strong arm.

Let the weak side do any body cover or defensive action and the strong side for weapon use/retention only, or to take a leak.
  17. ^ this
  18. When i was a Police officer I never carried a backup. I think in our whole department only 2 of the guys did :) . I normally carry on my days off or when im out downtown but I almost never carry around the house or when im just hanging out with friends.
  19. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    I like to belt carry my primary G27-357 cross draw.
    With a twin ammo pouch on the other side.
    And a J-Frame in my strong side pocket.

20. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Dec 27, 2011
    Where do you carry all those other barrels? :tongueout: