close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Pocket Carry Results in Negligent Discharge

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by jph02, Oct 1, 2012.

1. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Dec 27, 2011
    PNW
    The media wrong?

That's impossible.

2. When you really think about it, there are few if any "accidental discharges" (AD). Perhaps aiming at a target and you squeeze the trigger too soon could be an AD. Or if the gun is faulty or it's one of those $125.00 new auto loaders and it's cocked, it could go off by its self and where it's pointed makes all the difference in the end result. But virtually every time a gun fires when it wasn't intended to, it's a negligent discharge. These of course include the "I didn't know it was loaded" ND, the "the gun slipped out of my hand" ND, the "I thought the person knew (or they said) they knew all about guns" ND and the list goes on-and-on.

3. And if the safety comes off in your pocket? A key or such gets inside the trigger guard (and yes a Glock will AD that way to, even a DA revolver if the key is pressed hard enough.)

Deaf

4. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
  5. molar

molar

Apr 8, 2007
    TN
    If you are going to pocket carry, the only thing that goes in the pocket is the gun. Keys and everything else go in the other pocket. Just like carrying IWB, a proper holster that covers the trigger is essential. I won't carry my G26 in a pocket. It makes me uneasy. I do sometimes pocket carry a Kahr CM9. It has a loong trigger with a 7.5 lb pull, so I feel comfortable with it.

6. Roger1079

Roger1079

Mar 22, 2008
    South FL
    This, just mine is a Ruger LCP. If it ever goes in my pocket with no holster there is NEVER a round in the chamber.

7. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I guess that no one knows what make and model of the firearm used. :upeyes:

8. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Sep 4, 2004
    Suriname
    I would say that negligent carry caused negligent discharge...

"The father, who has a license to carry a concealed pistol, said he forgot the gun was cocked when he reached into his pocket and it accidentally went off"

He forgot..

So, this begs the question, what would he possibly have done differently, had he remembered that it was "cocked"?

9. What a coincidence, that it "accidentally went off" at the same time that "he reached into his pocket."
    :upeyes:

I'll bet a crack investigative reporter might deduce that he pulled the trigger; too bad journalism is dead.
    :deadhorse:

10. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    Imagine that! Nobody saw that one coming! :whistling:

It serves him right. They make holsters for a reason.

11. sourdough44

sourdough44

Jul 23, 2007
    WI
    The term 'cocked' often refers to the hammer being back on a S/A pistol. Many possible choices but the more common possibilities for pocket carry are the LCP or a Sig P238. Even if the safety holds solidly into position on the p238 it is still possible for the safety to get pushed off, in the course of movement or pressure on the outside.

I'm not one to carry a p238 'locked & cocked' in the pocket, even in the best of holsters. The LCP, no problem.

12. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    If you're carrying a cocked weapon without a safety in your pocket without a holster....

One way or another, sooner or later, one of you is going to get decocked.

Choose wisely.

Randy

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  13. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Jul 19, 2004
    Oregon
    what a dimwit! when he reached for the handgun he had to put his finger onn the trigger.....CPS will be after him now.

14. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    There's no other way to put it; if you're going to carry a handgun in Condition 1 without a proper holster then for cripes sake keep your mind focused on the thousands of ways things can go very wrong very quickly if your attention strays. And things can go quickly wrong even with a proper rig so CCW holders have to keep their attention span focused always.

15. So only poor people are stupid? Just when you think you've heard eveything.....:shocked:

16. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I guess that nobody knows what make and model of pistol it was.

17. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
  18. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I bet that it was a cocked revolver! :whistling: