close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Pocket Carry Results in Negligent Discharge

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by jph02, Oct 1, 2012.

1. jph02

jph02

Jun 10, 2012
    Michigan
  2. dosei

dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    Based on the info it seems fair to surmise that he was not using a proper pocket holster, and he most definitely did not exercise proper trigger finger discipline.

3. RJ's Guns

RJ's Guns

Dec 25, 2010
    I would be interested to learn what handgun was in his pocket.

If the article is accurate, it was revealing to learn that “he forgot the gun was cocked when he reached into his pocket”.
    RJ

4. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Mar 19, 2010
    Ozarks
    I'd like to know the same, but whatever flavor he shouldn't have had his finger on the trigger.

5. If it was actually cocked, I'm suspecting a revolver because most pocket-sized semi-autos seem to be hammerless.

6. Chris Chris

Chris Chris

Jul 2, 2010
    Florida
    If you are stupid you can shoot yourself in a lot of places when you draw or holster a firearm. Pocket carry is only one of them. That doesn't mean that pocket carry is inherently unsafe... only that some people are stupid; irrespective of where they carry.

7. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    Pocket carry with a proper holster is just plain stupid.

8. Glockbuster

Glockbuster

Jun 30, 2005
    Middle America
    If one is to carry without a holster in a pocket and the gun is not a revolver, then that is one of those times I favor an unchambered C3 weapon.

9. Please explain. I pocket carry with proper holsters.

10. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Dec 27, 2011
    PNW
    A holster that covers the trigger and not having a cocked revolver would be the answer. Tough way to learn a lesson.

I pocket carry every day DAO in a deep holster.

11. krisspy

krisspy

Aug 8, 2012
    OH / No. KY
    Pretty sure he meant "without". :whistling:

12. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I wonder if it was a Glock or some other pistol without a safety?

13. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    if the guy accidentally managed a 10-13lb trigger pull on a revolver, he is a real goof. I dont read too much into the use of the word "cocked".. as most reporter just mean "its loaded"

14. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    That should have been "without"

15. Sig and Colt make SA '1911' style pocket .380s. Might be one of them.

Deaf

16. C6vetter

C6vetter

Jul 14, 2012
    Doubt it. My wife's Sig P238 380 ACP has a safety if you carry cocked and locked. You'd have to be very careless to AD that weapon.

17. jph02

jph02

Jun 10, 2012
    Michigan
    Which is why we call it negligent discharge; it's not accidental at all, imho.

18. jph02

jph02

Jun 10, 2012
    Michigan
  19. Possibly, but they are relatively rare and expensive enough to weed out most of the candidates for the Darwin awards.

Some other possibilities could be Walther PPK and clones, Makarov, or even the Saturday Night Specials such as Davis .380 or Raven .25 types, or Bryco, Jimenez, Cobra, etc. I'm thinking these are more likely to be carried cocked and locked by a tiny little safety, without a holster, and by someone who is not well trained.

Or the media could be wrong about it actually being cocked, and it could be almost anything, even a Glock or Kel-Tec.

:dunno:

20. TDC20

TDC20

Apr 11, 2011
    Good safety tips from the Sheriff, but I'm disappointed that he didn't mention using a proper holster that completely covers the trigger and trigger guard. Of course, if he had, a large number of readers would probably think he meant a holster as one that is "worn on the hip", not a holster intended for pocket carry.