close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Pocket carry muzzle sweeping

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Droid noob, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Droid noob

Droid noob

May 27, 2012
    Recently picked up an lcr and have been carrying in a desantis pocket holster. Can't help but be keenly aware of my muzzle when sitting down lol. Sat in a booth at dinner with family and ended up repositioning the pocket holster down so it wasn't sweeping those sitting across from me. I know it's not going to fire by itself, but anyone else have the uneasy feeling when first pocket carrying? I'm used to my iwb holsters always pointing down.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

2. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Sep 4, 2004
    Suriname
    Dont worry too much, a duty thigh rig will point in much the same way.

3. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    That's why wearing a shoulder holster is the one exception to the rule that your wife should follow you a few paces behind... :whistling: She can offset to the side in that case so she isn't being swept with the muzzle.

Randy

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  4. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Jun 29, 2001
    New Mexico
    And if you're carrying in a IWB holster you are muzzle sweeping everyone on the first floor when you're on the second.
    And your point is?

5. Vanman2004b

Vanman2004b

Mar 7, 2009
    This is the reason that I do not pocket carry.

6. Droid noob

Droid noob

May 27, 2012
    Uhhh. Thanks for the input......

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

7. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman

Jun 29, 2010
    Indiana
    If it is in a holster that covers the trigger guard and you don't have other stuff in your pocket you are good to go IMO.

8. Droid noob

Droid noob

May 27, 2012
    That's what I told myself lol. Just takes some getting used to it suppose

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

9. Vanman2004b

Vanman2004b

Mar 7, 2009
    I tried that also. Didn't work for me as I was sitting across a table from my family. Found a different way to carry and feel much better now.

10. gunowner1

gunowner1

Jul 11, 2011
    Jensen Beach
    I carry an LCP in a sticky pocket holster all the time. Fits perfect in my cargo shorts pocket.I've never put one second of thought into which way it is pointing. If nothing depresses the trigger it isn't going to fire.

11. CanMan

CanMan Silver Member

Jun 15, 2012
    in flagrante
    Nothing else in the same pocket is the cardinal rule!

12. gunowner1

gunowner1

Jul 11, 2011
    Jensen Beach
    The holster is in there with the LCP. Does that count.:supergrin:

13. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman

Jun 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Agreed. Still want the holster, but will not allow anything else in that pocket.

14. Caver 60

Caver 60

Jun 12, 2007
    Midwest
    Carried a P3AT daily with a Nemesis for well over 7 years now. Nothing in that pocket but the pistol and holster. Never had a problem. Only time I adjust the rig when sitting down is if it becomes uncomfortable against my leg and the chair for whatever reason.

15. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    When i pocket carry, I never ever carry anything in the same pocket with the firearm. Other than that, I dont worry about it. If you are gonna pocket carry, the muzzle issue is just something you have to accept.

16. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Have you tried sitting across from the in-laws instead? :whistling:

Randy

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  17. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

Jan 23, 2010
    Who knows?
    You must not carry at all then. During different times, I carry in the pocket, on the shoulder and on the waist. Every single time I or anyone else carries a gun, you're "sweeping" someone at sometime.

I carry on the hip, OWB or IWB. If I lie down on the couch and my girlfriend is sitting across the room, I'm sweeping here. OMG!!!!:faint:

Or I'm sweeping the four legged members of the family when carry on the hip.

OP, pocket carry is perfectly safe. As long as you do it right you'll be fine. I'm carrying my LCR .357 too. Did it today.

18. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Nov 18, 2003
    Houston
    While it should be considered, muzzle sweep can be overthought.

Take reasonable precautions, and don't try to be perfect. There are no absolutes in this.

Perfect is the enemy of good, or, in this case, sufficient.

19. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Jul 23, 2004
    Israel
    Out of respect for others, I try not to use a carry method that aims my gun at anyone, even if it is concealed. Try is the operative word here. Uhlawpup's post was a good one, as usual.

20. HexHead

HexHead

Jul 16, 2009
    I couldn't care less about this. Seriously, the last thing I'm concerned about is where my muzzle may be pointing when my handgun is in a proper holster that's covering the trigger. This even holds true if I'm carrying my Mustang cocked and locked in my pocket (holster) or a Glock in my shoulder holster.

They aren't just going to go off by themselves.