close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

PMAGS - can be kept loaded?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by MIJoe, Feb 4, 2010.

1. MIJoe

MIJoe

Jun 15, 2002
    FL
    Greetings and sorry if this has been discussed before.

Just bought t a few PMAGS after hearing mostly great comments abolut them.

My question is: can they be left fully loaded for extended periods of time?

Thanks for input.

Joe

2. mvician

mvician Lifetime Member

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Indiana
    Yes, just keep the cover snapped in place, it take the tension off of the feedlips.

3. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    Yep.

I don't use the covers, except on mags that are in long term storage. My 7 ready mags, and anytime I'm down range, my mags sit open. I've yet to have any issues.

4. javelinadave

javelinadave Hebrew Hammer

Aug 14, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I have musket magazines that I loaded in Valley Forge.

[​IMG]

I would use the covers to save the feed lips on a P-Mag but other than that they should outlast you.:whistling:

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    'Stick,.....do you down-load them, or keep them at 30?

6. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)

I've never seen a reason to download magazines. If I'm going to be in a gunfight, I want to bring every round I can get my grubby little fingers on. And I've yet to have a mag go bad from storage.

I do have a female CE who loads 28' so she can chamber magazines in her M-4 though. It makes life easier on her, so she runs with it.

7. MIJoe

MIJoe

Jun 15, 2002
    FL
  8. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I never could figure that out,.......Years ago we had al old crusty
    MSgt that always preached about down-loading mags.
    Of course he cut his teeth in Viet Nam, so he had MANY wierd habits.

9. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    With the older USGI mags, springs and followers, it can help reduce double feeds. For weaker shooters or inexperienced guys, it can help if you don't ram a mag home well enough on a closed bolt. Some of the older guys who were in charge when I first showed up were hard about that.

With the new springs and magpul followers, its really a concern of the past. I've run 27 rounds of ball, 3 rounds of tracer in the bottom in every duty mag I've ever carried. I've yet to have a problem attributed to loading to advertised capacity.

10. reaper8154

reaper8154

Jan 26, 2008
    I keep the Pmags in my active shooter rig loaded with 28 and have not had any problems. I guess I would use the cover for long term storage, but don't think it would really be necessary.

11. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    That all maks perfect sense,..... most of us didn't listen to Big Mac much.
    He was a great guy but way superstitious. He did save my azz from a viper
    in '90

12. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
  13. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

Oct 23, 2001
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    IIRC, the Pmag was designed specifically to overcome the issue of fully inserting a magazine filled to capacity

14. TrooperBrian

TrooperBrian

Jul 16, 2008
    Boise, ID
    What would you gentlemen consider to be "long term"? A few weeks? 10 years?

I always download one just to make it easier to seat the mag on a closed bolt.

15. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    6 months or longer?

16. crazypilot

crazypilot ERAU Alumni '05

May 21, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I keep mine loaded to 30 all the time. If I use it, I'll reload them when I get home. I don't like empty mags. I've never had issues loading them with a closed bolt either.

17. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    I've got 7 P-mags that are my home "duty mags" they've been loaded about a year now. I'll probably take them out, shoot them, and reload them in the next few months.

I have another P-mag thats been my first in the gun mag, for over two years now.

The rest get loaded and stored till they go to the range, usually every 3-6 weeks, and then the cycle starts over.

18. reaper8154

reaper8154

Jan 26, 2008
    You wont have issues with a tac reload and pmags. I have had and seen a few issues with tac reloads and USGI mags.

I load my pmags to 28 partly from habit, and partly because I also have loaded USGI mags in my patrol car. When you shoot somebody they count all of the rounds left in your mags to figure out how many times you shot. Just simpler for me to keep them all at 28.

19. RossBotha

RossBotha

Jan 13, 2010
    P-mags are great, 28 per mag makes sense. Seats easier and it's still plenty.

20. CW Mock

CW Mock

Feb 4, 2006
    Yeah, I do the same thing, only at 30. With the some bean counters around, they don't strike me as smart enough to realize or remember that a 30 round magazine was downloaded to 28. So I load to 30, and forget about them. Plus, I like all the ammo I can bring.

I haven't had problems seating USGI magazines fully loaded into my rifles. I just give them a little pressure/bump, and give them a tug to make sure they seated.

Been thinking about PMAGs now for a while, but I don't know if they will fit in my S&W. Been looking for somebody that has them to test it out.